Mods: BSR/PPC, sock off element
Weather: 78F 55% Hum
Roads: Flat

Measurement Device: UEI Manometer

Measurement point: Drain hole at front/bottom of airbox

Results:

- system zeroized at idle
- at 60 mph costing, 0.5 inches H20 of positive pressure
- 2nd gear, at 50-60 mph max boost as indicated by airbox vacuum, 7 inches of H20 of vacuum

Conclusions:

- OEM grill intake point receives postive sero pressure
- OEM intake duct size is marginal/inadequate for high boost/flow

For reference: 7 inches of H20 = 0.025 psi

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Airbox Tests (JimLill)

Seems that maybe the OEM setup is pretty good. At stock HP levels it flows about 450 cfm but with the BSR it's closer to 500 cfm, about 10% more. So it you "chip", you need to add at least 10% more intake. I am currently looking at a simple +25% add-on.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts

That would seem to be a low-restriction system. I don't know what these "cold air intake" aftermaket-type things produce, but it would be hard for any filter element to create less restriction.

I know that some airboxes in some vehicles are equipped with "filterminders" that monitor restriction. When the device reads 25 inches of water, it tells you to replace the element because it's dirty. That gives you a feel for what's considered "bad".

I don't see how you can make any conclusions about flow restrictions in the duct because you haven't measured the delta-P there.

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Continuing on my premise that adding inlet duct would help....

I removed the LH foglamp gill which is easily done by releasing the plastic flap/lever at the inboard side. You see:

I added that pink pen to as to be able to see where that point is on the back side. You might what to try the same.

It looks like a 2" hole could be added to take a duct and a flex hose run up to the airbox.
You can easily mod the existing foglamp grill to feed that 2" duct.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Re: (JimLill)

Are you going to make the hose to connect the air box from drivers side? We looked into this with Lee, but his car had some kinda of control unit "blocking" this spot (Navigation or Automatic control box?)

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (JMn)

Can you provide a pix of what you found to be blocking.... I think I see a clear albeit snakey path to the airbox upper lid.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Re: (JimLill)

Unfortunately I have Manual and no Navigation, but there's somekind of control box around this area, just next to the airbox:

Maybe someone who has this control box, can post a pic...

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Airbox Tests (Sue Esponte)

Quote, originally posted by Sue Esponte »
Do you think a purple pen would alter the results?

I'll be sure to use a charcoal gray pen the next time..........

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (JMn)

Quote, originally posted by JMn »
Unfortunately I have Manual and no Navigation, but there's some kind of control box around this area, just next to the airbox

I have something there too but it's quite a bit lower than the top of the airbox. I intend to look at an inlet snorkel into the top-lid wall just above that box you show.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

If you add a cold air intake at the fog light grill area, how will you insure that you will not also pick up added amounts of water/snow, etc?

Or is there a baffle someplace in your installation which will take care of this?

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Airbox Tests (Lead Foot 60)

Quote, originally posted by Lead Foot 60 »
If you add a cold air intake at the fog light grill area, how will you insure that you will not also pick up added amounts of water/snow, etc?Or is there a baffle someplace in your installation which will take care of this?

I would not run that all the time. Just when speed-need dictates it.

·
Registered
943 Posts
It is just a cover... and can be removed with no problems... I've been running without it for over 10,000 miles...

If you remove that, and remove the airbox, and the associated control point hangars, you can easily get a 4" intake down into the front of the bumper... just FYI

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: (CyberDoberman)

Quote, originally posted by CyberDoberman »
It is just a cover... and can be removed with no problems... I've been running without it for over 10,000 miles...

If you remove that, and remove the airbox, and the associated control point hangars, you can easily get a 4" intake down into the front of the bumper... just FYI

Just in front of the gearbox is a higher pressure area also, no need to create a water sucking inlet in the front bumper.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts