·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Airbox Mod testing complete

You may recall this:

I added a quick-disconnect test port for my manometer

And a hole to route air through a euro style LH fog grill

Conclusion: the FG is a good spot to pick up. It must be at a good pressure point. Even at 18+ psi with the BMC, I get little if any pre-filter vacuum.

Next project is to put a new piece of hose (still red) and a tidier scoop behind grill.

I bring the air in the lid hole so I can easily remove the hose in bad weather.

Someone else did this and brought hose into bottom of airbox

·
Registered
413 Posts
Re: Airbox Mod testing complete (JimLill)

What do you think of the bottom airbox design in terms of pressure/vacume?

Definitely a much cleaner install.

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Airbox Mod testing complete (lawnany)

bottom makes no difference... may be a tad better in fact. As it stands, I can pull hose off lid for bad WX and inspect filter by looking in with a flashlight.

·
Registered
172 Posts

http://********************/smile/emthup.gif
good to know an additional 3 sq. in of airflow area is enough to overcome airbox restriction. I think that is the same area as the hole/bypass valve at the bottom of the airbox. Pop it out and pop in the hose. No cutting required http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Airbox Mod testing complete (autoduel)

not just 3 sq in but the inlet being in a high pressure point on front of car.....

·
Registered
25 Posts

Quote, originally posted by JimLill »
bottom makes no difference... may be a tad better in fact. As it stands, I can pull hose off lid for bad WX and inspect filter by looking in with a flashlight.

For your next iteration of the CAI, depending on the available room (bottom or side), you might consider installing some kind of blast gate instead of taking the hose off. We use them in dust collection all the time when a machine is not being used.

·
Registered
5,849 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Airbox Mod testing complete (StaggRLee)

BTW, I am still looking for a unmodified airbox lid. I'll continue to use this one until all the related intake R&D is done but at some point would like to replace the lid. You cannot buy lid alone, so if a person installs a CAI and wants to sell a used lid of whole airbox, let me know.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts

Quote, originally posted by JimLill »
BTW, I am still looking for a unmodified airbox lid. I'll continue to use this one until all the related intake R&D is done but at some point would like to replace the lid. You cannot buy lid alone, so if a person installs a CAI and wants to sell a used lid of whole airbox, let me know.

any idea as to how much the whole airbox costs?

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Airbox Mod testing complete (SilverS60RNYC)

Quote, originally posted by SilverS60RNYC »
any idea as to how much the whole airbox costs?

probably <$100, so that will be my next move...

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

Jim-

for the few of us who have the EVOLVE vent installed - if we were to buy a spare stock airbox and then modify the lid so there was a tube/inlet going from the top of the airbox to the vent - but it was sealed...so imagine the stock inlet that goes from the front of the car to the airbox...then imagine a second inlet that went from the top of the airbox to the vent in the hood.

would that be enough to get additional airflow? you think that spot would be ok to pick up additional air?

any chance the air comin from the front AND the air comin from the top would create turbulence or anything like that and cuaes the intake to be less effiecient?

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Airbox Mod testing complete (23109VC)

Yes, there are 2 issues...

1 - is the Evolve inlet at a pressure point? Gee, I'd assume it was but you could test that by onctructing a simple U-tube water filled manometer.

2 - How to feed air from the Evolvo vent to the stock airbox. I'll try to fab a cardboard idea and take a picture of it...

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
what is a u tube water manometer?

my vent is on my hood, just like the blue EVOLVE car.

this is some kind of ushaped tube, like under my sink? that would have some water in it and whichever point gets more pressure pushes the water to other way....so I assume...

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Re: (23109VC)

Jim what kind of hose did you use and did you drill a hole in the fender? I was thinking of doing something similar in my 850

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (lax01)

I used silicone rubber hi-temp duct and the hole was in the plastic shroud behind the foglamp grill

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'd really like to pay for a professionally done CAI that is funtional and looks good. SO many other cars have these. As soon as someone comes out with one, they will sell like crazy....

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
ha ha ha.

hey, I'm a lawyer. Not a scientist.

If you use that lesbian sex device, and hurt yourself, call me..we can sue the manufacturer....

·
Registered
172 Posts

The front half of the hood is a low pressure zone, and the high pressure is towards the base of the windshield. Many louvered hood vents are located in the front half of the hood to evacuate engine heat. Any opening may act as a venturi. The forward angle of the evolve grille may reduce that effect, but only testing will tell.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts