SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to start another thread about this but I'm curious how your dealership experiences have been- I just called Volvo of Palo Alto to schedule and was given a date of March 25th, and told since the job took so long they could only do 3 a day, and they might need my car for multiple days. When I said that it sounded like they were scheduling 3 a day because they had to do it for free, I was told that I didn't know what I was talking about, that it was a multiple hour job, and they might need the car for multiple days because of their "workload from the previous day"
It sounds to me like the "free work" of replacing the airbags (with non R airbags) is getting pushed behind everything the service departments do for paying customers. I may just keep my airbag until the "rush" slows down.

Reactions: JeremyR

·
Registered
715 Posts
They are likely capping the airbag appointments to 3 a day for a few reasons.
1. The current daily order limit for airbags to retailers is 3 per day
2. Demand is outpacing supply
3. Every dealership in the world is short-staffed
4. This has nothing to do with free work. Dealers perform "free work" to customers every day in the form of warranty work.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are likely capping the airbag appointments to 3 a day for a few reasons.
1. The current daily order limit for airbags to retailers is 3 per day
2. Demand is outpacing supply
3. Every dealership in the world is short-staffed
4. This has nothing to do with free work. Dealers perform "free work" to customers every day in the form of warranty work.
I hear that, I think if it was any of those valid reasons they would've said that- Instead what they said was that it was a multiple hour to 1/2 day job, and they might need the car for multiple days.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I hear that, I think if it was any of those valid reasons they would've said that- Instead what they said was that it was a multiple hour to 1/2 day job, and they might need the car for multiple days.
You could have spoken with a BDC employee who knows nothing about cars and is told to say that. Given that their earliest online appointment is the 15th of March, I'd say they have a crushing work load... like most car dealerships in the world.
Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Circle

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You could have spoken with a BDC employee who knows nothing about cars and is told to say that. Given that their earliest online appointment is the 15th of March, I'd say they have a crushing work load... like most car dealerships in the world.
View attachment 143897
Maybe- Not trying to have an argument, genuinely curious about other peoples experiences- This seems like an important thing to you- Do you work at a dealership?

Reactions: kTaLgsTo

·
Registered
715 Posts
Maybe- Not trying to have an argument, genuinely curious about other peoples experiences- This seems like an important thing to you- Do you work at a dealership?
I would say most people are waiting a few weeks to a month for the repair across the country. I consider myself in the know.

·
Premium Member
2,907 Posts
We're backed up well into February for any service except emergencies... it wouldn't surprise me if some places are booked till March. More so if you needed a loaner. Going to them with an accusatory position is not a great way to build rapport... and they wouldn't care if you went somewhere else either.

Reactions: Ihatespeedbumps

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We're backed up well into February for any service except emergencies... it wouldn't surprise me if some places are booked till March. More so if you needed a loaner. Going to them with an accusatory position is not a great way to build rapport... and they wouldn't care if you went somewhere else either.
Good to know, thanks

Reactions: 1morerobot

·
Registered
8,884 Posts
Warranty work pays the dealer. Tech's don't work for free. They are generally paid at a reduced number of book hours, but rest assured, techs don't volunteer their services. If the dealer wants to do something for "free", I imagine techs still wish to be paid!

·
Registered
8,884 Posts
Sorry to start another thread about this but I'm curious how your dealership experiences have been- I just called Volvo of Palo Alto to schedule and was given a date of March 25th, and told since the job took so long they could only do 3 a day, and they might need my car for multiple days. When I said that it sounded like they were scheduling 3 a day because they had to do it for free, I was told that I didn't know what I was talking about, that it was a multiple hour job, and they might need the car for multiple days because of their "workload from the previous day"
It sounds to me like the "free work" of replacing the airbags (with non R airbags) is getting pushed behind everything the service departments do for paying customers. I may just keep my airbag until the "rush" slows down.
Schedule it around when they have a loaner available. This way if part availability or workload makes it a 3 day job (trust me it won't be because dealers want their loaners back), you have a car until the job is finished.

You'll definitely have to wait longer to get the loaner, but the choice is yours on whether you can live without a car until the dealer gets to yours.

2 dealers locally have closed and one dealer is now swamped picking up the slack. Loaners for them are booking 3-4 weeks in advance. And this dealer has told me now for the past 1.5 years (since covid) they are understaffed and shorthanded. Having lost one of their techs.

My guess, and only a guess, dealerships are facing the same manpower crunch as every other industry right now.

Reactions: coachvin

·
Registered
529 Posts
WOW! Not surprised but wow. It's a 15 minute job and maybe a quick VIDA hookup & that shouldn't be needed unless they forget to unplug the battery first.. by the sounds of knowing what they're doing... taking 3 hours to change the literally popped on air bag.. they probably will.🤣

Me, I just want my airbag, I'll change it. I'm a mechanic. I dont let anyone else work on my car. I'm definately pulling the R leather off the old bag before they get their hands on it.

Seriously I'd be like you got 30 minutes to get me my car back.. supposed to be professionals here.

Reactions: coachvin

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
Yeah I'm sure that was just a call center person saying what they say for all appointments. The job takes 2 minutes working time. I've done them right in the service drive. VIDA isn't needed.

·
Registered
8,884 Posts
WOW! Not surprised but wow. It's a 15 minute job and maybe a quick VIDA hookup & that shouldn't be needed unless they forget to unplug the battery first.. by the sounds of knowing what they're doing... taking 3 hours to change the literally popped on air bag.. they probably will.🤣

Me, I just want my airbag, I'll change it. I'm a mechanic. I dont let anyone else work on my car. I'm definately pulling the R leather off the old bag before they get their hands on it.

Seriously I'd be like you got 30 minutes to get me my car back.. supposed to be professionals here.
Along the lines of showing up for a doctors appointment. The doctor's staff want you there on time. God forbid you are 20 minutes late, and the staff will often insist on making you reschedule. But keeping you waiting in waiting room for 45 minutes under the guise 'Sorry the doctor is busy' is no problem.

In the case of the dealer, best way is to setup for a loaner. They'll either get you in and out, determing that having to provide a loaner for a quick job monopolizes a car for more lucrative jobs. Or the dealer will give you a loaner and no doubt have the car ready before day's end.

·
Registered
8,884 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts