SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,784 Posts
But it's the same wheel and airbag as the S60R.

Or is this a case of very specific S60s and S80s have this issue, and Volvo's just doing them all to be safe?

·
Registered
17,821 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Talked to Jason at Lehman Volvo - he said only a certain vin range is affected and V's don't fall in it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Not exactly correct. V70s don't have their own chassis range.
Oh? So some V's may be affected?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Understood, thanks!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Mine is included. I wonder how that "R" style airbag cover is attached to the airbag and if it can be swapped.

·
Registered
2004 S60R M66 AWD and 2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD - Climate Pkg, Versatility Pkg, and Convenience Pkg
777 Posts
Mine is included. I wonder how that "R" style airbag cover is attached to the airbag and if it can be swapped.
That's what I'll end up doing: floss + heat gun to remove it off the original, and then some sort of glue or 3M tape + Xacto knife to get it onto the new one. Bummer that the recall doesn't replace R-specific airbags w/ R-specific ones.

Reactions: TristanScott

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
That's what I'll end up doing: floss + heat gun to remove it off the original, and then some sort of glue or 3M tape + Xacto knife to get it onto the new one. Bummer that the recall doesn't replace R-specific airbags w/ R-specific ones.
That is a super bummer :(

Reactions: 08XC90V8

·
Registered
2006 477 V70R 108k Miles
79 Posts
Sucks. Wish Volvo would be responsible and replace with the correct airbag. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Oh no! Putting old parts that are in demand back into production!!!:LOL:

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
If you guys are this upset about the R emblem, imagine the beige or tan interiors that will now have a black airbag.

·
Registered
2004 S60R M66 AWD and 2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD - Climate Pkg, Versatility Pkg, and Convenience Pkg
777 Posts
If you guys are this upset about the R emblem, imagine the beige or tan interiors that will now have a black airbag.
oh shoot. there's no way that's real. are they serious?? were the atacama and gobi interiors native to the R?????

that's freaking hilarious.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
oh shoot. there's no way that's real. are they serious?? were the atacama and gobi interiors native to the R?????

that's freaking hilarious.
Means cars which had light colored airbags (oak, beige interiors mostly from 01-04 cars that I've seen at least) and I think mostly only s80s, s60s usually have black airbags

Reactions: 08XC90V8

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Do you understand the potential safety and liability issues from modifying an airbag?

Leaving the OE bag on is a tough call at this point. From the reports, a recalled one reads like a literal shotgun discharging in your face.

Too much fitment hysteria too soon over this. I think it’s too early to conclude what options will ultimately be available. The broader recall was just announced a couple weeks ago; and the notice letters haven’t even gone out yet. They’re still spooling up the recall campaign. If it turns out to be a single universal recall fix part, and VR examples are still out there that are outside the recall, a used one of those might be the best replacement option.

In the meantime, drive carefully.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Do you understand the potential safety and liability issues from modifying an airbag?

Leaving the OE bag on is a tough call at this point. From the reports, a recalled one reads like a literal shotgun discharging in your face.

Too much fitment hysteria too soon over this. I think it’s too early to conclude what options will ultimately be available. The broader recall was just announced a couple weeks ago; and the notice letters haven’t even gone out yet. They’re still spooling up the recall campaign. If it turns out to be a single universal recall fix part, and VR examples are still out there that are outside the recall, a used one of those might be the best replacement option.

In the meantime, drive carefully.
Is simply putting the R emblem back on the airbag cover not the same as how it was from factory? Only difference being the fact that there's just no groove for it to fit in?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Is simply putting the R emblem back on the airbag cover not the same as how it was from factory? Only difference being the fact that there's just no groove for it to fit in?
R airbag has blue stitching

21 - 40 of 58 Posts