SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2014 XC90 3.2L
608 Posts
We should have the correct parts replaced on our cars, bottom line.
Well, to play devil's advocate: Volvo owes you a replacement for SAFETY reasons, not cosmetic ones. The NHTSA isn't going to care that the airbag looks different. Don't like it? Don't get your airbag recalled. 🤷‍♀️

· Registered
2014 XC90 3.2L
608 Posts
I just expect Volvo to do the right thing.
Correct, they are, as has been said. Here's some information I found you all might find interesting:

"The statute of limitations for all no-charge recalls is 8 years from the original sale date of the vehicle. After that time, you may be required to pay if you wish to have the part or parts replaced or corrected."
Link here.

Volvo has done the "right thing" in this case. They're replacing your air bag for safety reasons. Again, if you don't like that, don't participate in the recall.

· Registered
2014 XC90 3.2L
608 Posts
This whole "but it looks cheap" argument is so bogus. If every R was recalled to get a new airbag, they will all look like that. Hardly a reason for the car to loose any value. Want to keep the old "look" one for car shows or something? Sure, maybe that I can understand, it takes ~10 minutes tops to swap. But keeping it because you can't stand to look at another airbag when you drive is a bit over the top.

Swapping it for a junkyard bag so you can keep the original, that I can understand for car show purposes and the like I suppose. But purposely leaving it in the car when driving seems entirely unnecessary.

· Registered
2014 XC90 3.2L
608 Posts
I dunno man. He's just trying to gather support. Enough people speaking up and they'll do something about it. I'm not sure what you gain by detracting from that. Legitimate question, why bother? Your sig doesn't say you own an R or even a P2 affected by the recall. I mean, maybe you do, but then wouldn't you want your car the way it was?

I guess my point is: shouldn't we be trying to help one another?
You're right - and for those who took offense to my comments, that wasn't my intention. I've owned 2 Rs, and two other P2 cars that were affected in this recall, but that's really beside the point to me.

All I wanted was to provide some perspective, and make people realize that Volvo was doing more than they were legally required to, in the name of safety. Whether R owners viewed that as "enough" or not is why this thread exists.

Everyone asking Volvo to provide "R" airbags is fine - but EXPECTING them to is something else entirely. I sincerely hope everyone here gets the outcome that they're looking for, just don't be angry and upset if you don't is all I'm saying.

As @Tech mentioned, the airbags people want are currently NLA, and given the auto supply chain issues already, I'm sure it's significantly more expensive to restart that production.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.