SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2004 V70 T5M -- 2019 V90CC T6
3,683 Posts
Highly doubt They will not start up a new supply chain just because a vast minority of owners of 15-18 year old cars don't have stitching on their steering wheels. Those parts have been NLA for a long time now.
Owners of light interior-colored cars with tan steering wheels are getting black airbag covers -- I think that's a much bigger aesthetic problem than missing stitching, don't you? lol

· Registered
3,683 Posts
I'm waiting on the next email currently. First was acknowledging the issue and getting more info.

I'll definitely update as it progresses!
So per your calculations above, the tens of thousands of more people who have tan wheels and are getting black airbags would have an even stronger case than R owners, because they have a much much wider reach due to the amount of cars with them on the road, the cosmetic issue is much more pronounced than a missing R and stitching because it's the opposite color from the rest of the interior, and it'll cost substantially less to implement in the supply chain (just dye them another color — no leather, stitching, or extra metal sourcing).
And on top of that, they'll have the marketing benefit for those of us who directly influence others to get new Volvos because of our love for old ones (which in my case is ~25-30 people this year alone). Profit!
Who knows, maybe they'll cave, but I'm keeping my hopes conservative so I don't disappoint myself lol.

· Registered
3,683 Posts
Can’t you just get it re-skinned as a custom job? (Although it may interfere with the bag itself so unsure about that)
Regardless, why you’d put your life in danger for the look of your steering wheel is beyond me.

· Registered
3,683 Posts
I love how we're having passionate discussions on how to get our airbags replaced properly, etc etc and then there are people who go out and actually think to themselves that this (turning your airbag into a frag grenade) is a good, reasonable, and intelligent thing to do. For their own sake, I hope it comes off asap lol
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting

· Registered
3,683 Posts
This reminds me of taking apart the front passenger side window control module from my premium audio door cards

Reactions: tabormeister

· Registered
3,683 Posts
Why not just keep your existing airbag if you are going to glue shrapnel to the front of the new one?
Quick and easy birth control in an accident

Reactions: JaredR

· Registered
3,683 Posts
Ehh it’s a tiny plastic R at the base of the wheel and based on the way the bag deploys I’m not too worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If not properly secured, the R badges end up extremely close to your crotch. Several in JYs have holes in the seat bottom leather from the badge flying off. Rarely happens (depends on how well it's secured: factory without defects or stuck on), but still a risk.
Depending on how close you sit from the steering wheel or how the impact acts on the car, trajectory moves slightly. The Iron Mark flies up and embeds itself in the sun visor when not properly secured.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.