SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening, as many of you know our R cars are part of this airbag recall and Volvo is refusing to replace the airbags with the correct leather bag that we have in the cars. Does anyone know how to deal with corporate on this? I bought my R cars for many reasons, but I find that the contrasting stitching and R in the bag is part of the cars character. I don't want to loose that by putting a plastic non matching airbag in my car.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Good evening, as many of you know our R cars are part of this airbag recall and Volvo is refusing to replace the airbags with the correct leather bag that we have in the cars. Does anyone know how to deal with corporate on this? I bought my R cars for many reasons, but I find that the contrasting stitching and R in the bag is part of the cars character. I don't want to loose that by putting a plastic non matching airbag in my car.
Lots of people i’ve seen in the FB group are simply dealing with it and risking it. It does make you think, there’s probably been thousands and thousands of these cars in accidents, and only one known case of this, so the odds aren’t horrible per se, but I would not want to be on bad lucks side if anything were to happen. It’s also strange the vR hasn’t been recalled..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 V70 T5M -- 2019 V90CC T6
3,574 Posts
Highly doubt They will not start up a new supply chain just because a vast minority of owners of 15-18 year old cars don't have stitching on their steering wheels. Those parts have been NLA for a long time now.
Owners of light interior-colored cars with tan steering wheels are getting black airbag covers -- I think that's a much bigger aesthetic problem than missing stitching, don't you? lol

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The V70R has actually been recalled now. I got notice that both of my cars are recalled.

Reactions: stomish

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The dealer and corporate told me both of my R cars are part of the recall, although it’s a different number for the V70r

·
Registered
20,491 Posts
I just checked my late 07 VR and nothing active.
05 is active, however. You all are saying they're only black? That's OK with me. The blue flaked off and I wanted to replace it anyway. LOL
02 is not active.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They said that they are only gray plastic not black. The recall number is totally different for the V70r verse the S60R. Keep that in mind.

·
Registered
6,994 Posts
There are already too many threads about this.

There are actually three recalls.

R10058 came out in June for some 2001-2003 S60s and 2002-2003 S80s.

Then R10125 came out at the beginning of October for 2001-2009 S60s and 2001-2006 S80s.

Then R10136 came out mid-October for 2001-2007 V70 and XC70.

S60 or 3 spoke V70 part number 32332161
S80 or 4 spoke V70 part number 32332168
2001 S80 part number not available yet.

All are "charcoal".

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really don't think there are to many threads, I think we all need to complain to corporate about it!

Reactions: kyngofpop

·
Registered
2014 XC90 3.2L
561 Posts
We should have the correct parts replaced on our cars, bottom line.
Well, to play devil's advocate: Volvo owes you a replacement for SAFETY reasons, not cosmetic ones. The NHTSA isn't going to care that the airbag looks different. Don't like it? Don't get your airbag recalled. 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
20,491 Posts
Yeah, I guess.
Safety means safety for sure.
I think this is a solvable thing for not much cost to them though.
Well, to play devil's advocate: Volvo owes you a replacement for SAFETY reasons, not cosmetic ones. The NHTSA isn't going to care that the airbag looks different. Don't like it? Don't get your airbag recalled. 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
20,491 Posts
Thanks, man. I guess I will call dealer for the s60.
The 02 v70XC didn't show as active, yet you say it may be?
There are already too many threads about this.

There are actually three recalls.

R10058 came out in June for some 2001-2003 S60s and 2002-2003 S80s.

Then R10125 came out at the beginning of October for 2001-2009 S60s and 2001-2006 S80s.

Then R10136 came out mid-October for 2001-2007 V70 and XC70.

S60 or 3 spoke V70 part number 32332161
S80 or 4 spoke V70 part number 32332168
2001 S80 part number not available yet.

All are "charcoal".

·
Registered
6,994 Posts
Thanks, man. I guess I will call dealer for the s60.
The 02 v70XC didn't show as active, yet you say it may be?
Yep. Sometimes the site that let's customer's check their own VIN can be a little delayed when a recall first comes out. The portal we use at the dealer should be live though with the correct info. They can check with your VIN.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hear what you are saying, however I fully disagree. Volvo produced a product that is flawed and they owe to put it back to what it was! That's the end of the story.

·
Registered
6,994 Posts
Yeah, they are fixing the flaw.

I get what you're saying. But I know what Volvo is going to say. Something along the lines of:

"While we understand the concern for the different appearance of the replacement airbag, we believe it is important to replace the airbag with a safer unit as soon as possible."

Imagine if an R airbag went off and hurt or killed someone while Volvo had plenty of safe airbags laying around to replace it with but didn't recall it because it didn't have a little "R" on it.

·
Registered
20,491 Posts
I know but I hate that. Saving lives is the winner. But…
It’s cheapening the package. Ok, let’s say the Titans are bad. Then they replace with something like 17” bear. NOT the same on a T5R. Who wants a T5R with bear? Bad move. Extreme example but a mega wet blanket.

Yeah, they are fixing the flaw.

I get what you're saying. But I know what Volvo is going to say. Something along the lines of:

"While we understand the concern for the different appearance of the replacement airbag, we believe it is important to replace the airbag with a safer unit as soon as possible."

Imagine if an R airbag went off and hurt or killed someone while Volvo had plenty of safe airbags laying around to replace it with but didn't recall it because it didn't have a little "R" on it.

Reactions: ssquid
1 - 20 of 147 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.