SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had to replace or fix the air vent tabs on the front of the car? 3 out of 4 of mine are broken and it's extremely frustrating. I've removed the entire vents from the center, left and right sides (surprisingly easy) and my jerry-rigging didn't really hold up (I tried to glue them on from the back). Now the tabs just sit in the vent but are not held in by anything. They move up and down but not left/right. Has anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has anyone had to replace or fix the air vent tabs on the front of the car? 3 out of 4 of mine are broken and it's extremely frustrating. I've removed the entire vents from the center, left and right sides (surprisingly easy) and my jerry-rigging didn't really hold up (I tried to glue them on from the back). Now the tabs just sit in the vent but are not held in by anything. They move up and down but not left/right. Has anyone else had this issue?
Yes! This has happened to me. One of the little clips that hold the front tab assembly against the back of the tab broke, and now the whole thing comes apart when you touch it.

Frustrating me is that that the vent vanes came out of place, and they are VERY hard to get back into place, without removing the vent housing. I cannot figure out how to remove the vent housing. If you can tell me how to do this, I will mail you $5.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes! This has happened to me. One of the little clips that hold the front tab assembly against the back of the tab broke, and now the whole thing comes apart when you touch it.

Frustrating me is that that the vent vanes came out of place, and they are VERY hard to get back into place, without removing the vent housing. I cannot figure out how to remove the vent housing. If you can tell me how to do this, I will mail you $5.
And now that I know the word "Vent Tab", google is becoming more helpful:

·
Registered
72 Posts

Try this:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yup mine actually came that way since I bought mine used. I thought they could just replace the tab/clip, but they had to replace the entire vent. Cost me about $235 if I recall.

·
Registered
2017, XC90 T6 INSCRIPTION POLESTAR+++++
22 Posts
I know this isn’t helpful, but the airvent system quality has to be pretty poor, I got mine used also and the passenger AC vent was falling apart and the two Center ones had loose vanes with the driver side next to Sensus had the Chrome tip handle missing so,I need needle nose pliers to .move the flow direction (pretty ****ty for a 90k CDN$ vehicle.)..... to get them fixed you need to spend hundreds of $’s. The passenger one, the escutcheon plate wouldn’t stay on as it had the mounting clip-on pcs broken, the whole new unit costing $250 was easy to pop in once you pried the 2 mtg clips off the old one and pulled the whole contraption out.

·
Registered
‘19 t6 inscription silver/brown w/air, b&w, lux, polestar, 21’s, etc
310 Posts
Are your cars under factory warranty? Bought our cpo xc90 out of state (‘19 with 27k miles at the time), and one of the 3rd row air vents were broken in the same way. I didn’t notice it until after driving home 1100 miles to California. Took it to semi-local dealer for service a couple thousand miles later, and they replaced the vent (and warped front rotors and worn rear pads) under warranty with no hesitation. Based on this I’d imagine air vents should be covered under the original 4/50 warranty.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Unfortunately mine is beyond the warranty period and mileage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does Volvo read these forums? They should. Stuff like this makes me regret buying Swedish.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Same story...broken without any trauma. I asked the service if it will be covered under extended warranty and they were not sure. They told me that they can ask Volvo when I bring the car in. If not covered, it is $300 inc labor and parts. Parts alone 165 inc tax. Did anybody have it replaced under the extended warranty (which also costs $100 each time I use it BTW)?.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Same story...broken without any trauma. I asked the service if it will be covered under extended warranty and they were not sure. They told me that they can ask Volvo when I bring the car in. If not covered, it is $300 inc labor and parts. Parts alone 165 inc tax. Did anybody have it replaced under the extended warranty (which also costs $100 each time I use it BTW)?.
When I bought my car 3 weeks ago I asked to have the vent tab repaired. The place I bought still has never gotten back to me. 2 weeks after I got the car I brought it in to an actual Volvo dealer for the Polestar upgrade. I asked them to fix the vent as well on my dime. I should go back to the place I bought the car and ask them to reimburse me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've removed the vents, tried gluing them in place but they fall right off, no matter what. I ordered some "generic" vent tabs from eBay China - we'll see how those work/fit. Right now, they are just sitting there, if anyone touches them, the fall off. It's insane.

·
Registered
22 Posts
As this seems to happen a fair bit with the XC90, I do hope the rest of the car holds up better for me. in my whole life I have owned 4 BMW’s for the last 20 yrs, a good number of Detroit cars, some other European makes....I am 76 yrs old and had never experienced, seen or heard of this happening to any cars ........I must be getting old, dumb and sentimental for assuming that Volvo Quality was right up there!
My first car was a Volvo 444 and I kinda took a liking 6 months ago to my T6 XC90.....lol

·
Registered
XC90 T8
36 Posts
The vent tab on my front-left vent was broken when I bought mine. It was CPO and they offered to fix it but I was in a hurry and they didn’t have the part and it was too far to bring it back later so I bought a new one for ~$80 from Riley Volvo online and installed it in about 15minutes (7 of which was me psyching myself up to pull hard enough to get the old vent out since I was afraid of breaking something and didn’t have a feel for the car yet).

Interesting to learn it’s a common problem… will have to keep an eye out for any others showing signs if wear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just had our toddler give a swift kick to the rear centre vents and broke one of the tabs. Anyone know if the rear ones are easy to replace like the front where you just pop it out?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The vent tab on my front-left vent was broken when I bought mine. It was CPO and they offered to fix it but I was in a hurry and they didn’t have the part and it was too far to bring it back later so I bought a new one for ~$80 from Riley Volvo online and installed it in about 15minutes (7 of which was me psyching myself up to pull hard enough to get the old vent out since I was afraid of breaking something and didn’t have a feel for the car yet).

Interesting to learn it’s a common problem… will have to keep an eye out for any others showing signs if wear.
What was the part number?

·
Registered
XC90 T8
36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
XC90 T8
36 Posts
Thanks!!

saw it as well, not expensive. Just need to figure out how to replace. I know the front-ones Come out fairly easily, but the rear I couldn’t find anything.
In the diagram[1], part #18 looks like a socket screw that might need to be removed. If I were you I’d order the new vent and from looking at it you should be able to see if it’s held in by tabs alone or if there’s a screw hole (in which case you’d just need to take it out first from the old vent).

[1] Air distribution. Volvo | Riley Volvo Cars Stamford, Stamford CT

1 - 20 of 24 Posts