SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -

Looking for input on the air suspension on a T6 R-design on 21" wheels. I drove the R-Design w/the base suspension and thought it handled very well being an SUV and riding on 21" wheels. I'm also used to a firm ride and it doesn't bother me; I'm really looking for the best handling possible as I'm going from a sedan to an SUV. What are the benefits of the air suspension? The stance definitely looks better when lowered, but not sure if it's worth the cost. In terms of being able to lower it for loading, I don't think I'd ever need or want to.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
The best advice is to drive with/without and decide for yourself.

For me, it's (1) the ability to soften/stiffen the suspension dynamically, (2) automatic load leveling, and (3) parked stance.

·
Registered
70 Posts

For me, it's (1) the ability to soften/stiffen the suspension dynamically, (2) automatic load leveling, and (3) parked stance.
My sentiments as well. I'll add significantly reduced level of body roll on corners.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
I like it. $1800 to be able to get in/out easier every day for 10 years, sounds pretty good deal.
And I always drive with lowered clearance and less swing.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi all -

Looking for input on the air suspension on a T6 R-design on 21" wheels. I drove the R-Design w/the base suspension and thought it handled very well being an SUV and riding on 21" wheels. I'm also used to a firm ride and it doesn't bother me; I'm really looking for the best handling possible as I'm going from a sedan to an SUV. What are the benefits of the air suspension? The stance definitely looks better when lowered, but not sure if it's worth the cost. In terms of being able to lower it for loading, I don't think I'd ever need or want to.

Thanks
If your going to get 20" to 22" wheels I would get the air suspension. I love the air suspension on my 2018 xc60 Rdesign with 22” summer wheels 😱😍.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Funny I was just thinking today while loading the Kayaks: "Damn it's nice this thing parks like a low-rider..."

'Worth the cost...' is always subjective, but IMHO the ability to significantly change the handling dynamics and ride height are part of what makes the XC a go-anywhere do-anything champion.

·
Registered
145 Posts
That does not look like the designed method of carrying kayaks with a kayak stacker. I sure won't want to be behind you in a car. Years ago I had a sailfish sailboat put on a car by a salesman when I bought it and it flew off the car. Fortunately onto the side of the downward sloped grass shoulder with no damage. Thule has other accessories to use to tie the front strap without using a tow hook. I hope you are tying the sterns also, or they will fly off the front with hard braking.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Come now, don't hijack the man's thread, the discussion was air suspension.

(And you know nothing, John Snow: http://assets.yakima.com/product/instructions/8004041/1?_ga=2.27348347.676866722.1555983123-480997341.1555983123 )
(okay you're kinda right, directions show vertical alignment instead of flat stacked, but as far as I can tell that's purely their assumptions of a smaller roof and larger kayaks than I have. They are substantially more secure and compact nested the way I have them tied down, but YMMV)

·
Premium Member
471 Posts

+1 with Lamarguy... plus, I've been spoiled since experiencing first with the 2016 XC90 R-Design and now with the 2018 XC60 R-Design... we enjoy the ride with our 21" All Seasons, but as others write, you're going to be the one deciding, so try them both out! Cheers!
Serg

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I haven’t seen any with air suspension on the dealer’s lots. Are they there?
I didn't have to try it, since I had it on my 2016 XC90, but I did test drive an Inscription XC60 with air-suspension that the dealer had on the lot as a tester/loaner...

·
Registered
337 Posts
I’m trying to find a BMW X3 with their adaptive suspension (it sort of like the Volvo air suspension) on a dealer’s lot. But I’m told it’s very rare to find and I have a better chance of finding a golden unicorn.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Air suspension provides a softer ride and absorbs road bumps better, but it isn’t dramatic and not worth the money for everyday driving. However, if you plan to go off-road, it is a must. The air suspension raises the chassis considerably, allowing you to go places you couldn’t with the standard suspension.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Air suspension provides a softer ride and absorbs road bumps better, but it isn’t dramatic and not worth the money for everyday driving. However, if you plan to go off-road, it is a must. The air suspension raises the chassis considerably, allowing you to go places you couldn’t with the standard suspension.
I disagree with this statement (at least the latter part of it); air suspension is worth every penny as it evens out the ride feel and absorbs road imperfections. It will also reduce any body lean when driving in twisty roads thus providing a more enhanced driving experience.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I disagree with this statement (at least the latter part of it); air suspension is worth every penny as it evens out the ride feel and absorbs road imperfections. It will also reduce any body lean when driving in twisty roads thus providing a more enhanced driving experience.
Yep.

·
Registered
997 Posts
for me well worth it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I agree air suspension worth every penny. I had people in back of my xc60 before and they commented 😱Wow the ride so smooth. I told Then it the air suspension the high end vehicle ( car & truck) getting now.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
for me well worth it.
I agree air suspension worth every penny. I had people in back of my xc60 before and they commented 😱Wow the ride so smooth. I told Then it the air suspension the high end vehicle ( car & truck) getting now.
+1 - I agree and for me, it was worth the money...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts