SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to order an XC90 and I'm wondering what those of you who have the air suspension like and dislike about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
321 Posts
Just picked up my R Design and initial feel on air suspension is great. No harsh bumps and seems solid. Rebound is a bit floatly in Comfort mode, but things really tighten up in Dynamic.

I'm still getting to know the settings and quick measurements show over 1" of drop into Dynamic. Seems to look for the right balance for a while when you first set it. Not sure if it locks in or is always working...?

I'm really hoping Volvo got it right after so many other car makers tried. I think it's worth it. With so much other tech available, why go without it?!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I really don't see a con to the air suspension other than the increased cost. The ride is very comfortable and when it's switched to dynamic you can feel the difference of the car feeling more planted through corners than in comfort mode.

The only quirk I find is that if you have the suspension set to lower for entry/exit, you need to wait for the car to lower before opening the door. Otherwise the process will pause until the doors are locked or after a few minutes of inactivity.

·
Registered
487 Posts
One thing to keep in mind about auto-lowering that could "surprise you"... If you ever stand on top of the rear wheel to access your roof rack or roof box, the suspension will drop the car low enough to touch the top of a thick boot or ski boot while standing on top of the wheel. (unless you wait for auto-lowering before exit, which I never do... I just use it for easier entrance).

+1 for Air being great. :thumbup:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yes, and watch parking close to high curbs. Also, might want to take your foot off the brake as it lowers. Let it settle after turning off the ignition. Love the "easier exit" when it lowers.
I love the air suspension. Probably wouldn't do for me to have a button that raises and lowers at will because i'd be trying to jump beer cans.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm debating the Air Suspension on our OSD build, so glad to see the comments.

Our current SUV (1st gen Touareg) has Air, and a few years ago we had to replace a strut (luckily under warranty) which is approx a $2,500+ per strut expense (plus alignment). This is one of the reasons we are now ordering the XC as the fear of suspension repair bills is high in our 10 year old car. I've not checked the Air box on our build because of this (but want to).

So any ideas what an air strut costs to replace on the XC?

Also, our T-reg has a raise lower feature and a cool air pump connector for filling tires manually. Does the Volvo have these perks for the air suspension?

Thx!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I don't like it when I brake and accelerate in Eco or Comfort mode, it seems too mushy... but other than that, all the positives that was mentioned by everyone here about having an air suspension is pretty much accurate you'll love it. I've experienced both spring and air suspension on the new XC90 and I would say that the car is already great without the 4C, but it's nice to have that feature if it won't hurt your wallet. :)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I went with the 4C suspension - ditto for all the previous comments. I like the ride height adjustments and loading height capability in the rear as well.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Definitely will be getting air suspension too!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I originally was getting the non-air suspension as the local dealer only had one in stock, and it had everything but the Air Suspension. It drove well and had all the other equipment I wanted so I was ready to pull the trigger. The dealer would not let me leave a deposit on the vehicle so I could get my finances together and talk to my bank. Their Loss, I got a call from a dealer a bit further away that had the exact one I wanted with the air suspension. I am happy to say it is a great option to get, the difference is night and day in handling and road feel. I am sure I would have been happy without it, but I am very happy they did not take my deposit.
Best of luck

2016 Inscription

·
Registered
348 Posts
No arguments with any of the comments. Air suspension is the way to go.
My only wish is that you could independently raise the height without switching to "off-road" mode.
I use max. height when parking my Range Rover to minimize other cars dinging the bumper, however when parking the Volvo and selecting "off-road", upon I return to the car I get a "suspension fault" message. It goes away however it's somewhat disconcerting.

·
Registered
543 Posts
One thing to keep in mind about auto-lowering that could "surprise you"... If you ever stand on top of the rear wheel to access your roof rack or roof box, the suspension will drop the car low enough to touch the top of a thick boot or ski boot while standing on top of the wheel. (unless you wait for auto-lowering before exit, which I never do... I just use it for easier entrance).

+1 for Air being great. :thumbup:
Can you explain this, please? If I stand on rear tire while the car is off it will lower further than the easy exit height? Do I understand this correctly?

Thanks

·
Registered
321 Posts
I think he's saying that if it's lowering after you turn it off, then get out before it's lowered all the way, it stops. Then you get out and climb up on the tire, so it might continue to drop to the lowest point for entry later and you could get a boot caught between the fender and the tire.

It only takes a few secs to drop all the way. Seems like the front goes down first then the rear to match height.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Will add I also think you should factor in how long you are planning on owning the vehicle. If your in it for the long haul, air suspension would be much more expensive for repairs after warranty period expires. We'll have to see how they hold up long term, but at least no one has reported air suspension issues so far.

I just remember Top Gear where Tanner chose a Land Rover Range Rover Sport and was brand new. Well on its first drive there was a roof leak and then the auto leveling air suspension malfunctioned where the front suspensions were lower than the rears.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So far (200 miles), we love the air suspension. Very supple and controlled ride. Have not used much in performance modes, auto-lowering makes entry/exit easy, particularly for 5"-4" wife/ primary driver. Long-term, some air suspensions compound maintenance issues (like in my '88 BMW), but in my view it's worth it for the XC90. Just have to plan for that possibility. I will probably get an extended warranty plan from Steingold Volvo, who seems to price them most aggressively.

·
Registered
101 Posts
We ordered it without the air suspension. After reading through some of the older posts around it, just seemed like the costs would be quite high if they malfunction as we plan on keeping the car for a long time.

I believe if you plan on getting the extended warranty, there maybe some value to it for the 7-8 year mark.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The air suspension in XC90 does not seem to be the type known from Mercedes etc. which makes the ride smoother, more silent etc. The paradox is that air suspension in XC90 is more hard than non air suspension. I tried it myself and other people confirmed it too. That's why I order my new XC90 without it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I also ordered the standard suspension with the 21" 8-spoke wheels and my wife and I absolutely love the ride. I was nervous at first after hearing all the negative stuff that was written about this combo but glad we stuck with it. I'm sure the air suspension rides even better and has some neat features but we took that money and got the B&W sound instead. I just thought 66K was enough to spend and didn't really want to go over that price point.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The air suspension in XC90 does not seem to be the type known from Mercedes etc. which makes the ride smoother, more silent etc. The paradox is that air suspension in XC90 is more hard than non air suspension. I tried it myself and other people confirmed it too. That's why I order my new XC90 without it.
That's the first I've heard that the non-air suspension is firmer. In my back to back testing the air suspension was hands down better, also there may be another air suspension tuning upgrade coming to make it even softer (mercedes like?)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts