SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just kidding...not slammed, just slightly lowered (1"). :p

The known lowering options are:

1. Heico Selected Leveling Kit ($1,900 + installation) - Installation appears to be complicated and may require a VIDA reset. Off Road mode retains full height. Height adjustment is 30mm (~1").
  2. Adjustable leveling links (Ghostlinks - $225) - Easy DIY install, height adjustment is consistent across all drive modes. Off Road mode doesn't retain full height.
  3. Deflate your tires?
I'm not going offroad anytime soon and, while technically impressive, I think Heico's solution is too expensive for what it is.

I got the lead on Ghostlinks from MrJackNYC. He worked with Ghost Motorsports to develop properly sized links for his XC90. Fortunately, I was able to verify the sensors for the SPA XC60/XC90 are the same (including the linkage arms).

The lowest drive modes (T8), in order, are: POWER -> PURE -> HYBRID -> OFF ROAD. In POWER mode, my measurements (ground to top of wheel arch, level slab) were:

FL: 32"
FR: 32"
RL: 32"
RR: 32.5" (I asked the dealer about this and the answer was "within factory tolerances" :rolleyes:)

The stock linkage arms measured 42mm (inside edge to inside edge) and Ghost recommended a 5mm adjustment (front +5mm, rear -5mm) to achieve a 1" drop. It turns out the rear geometry is different and required a -8mm adjustment (RL: -8mm, RR: -10mm).

Height after adjustment is 31" (ground to top of wheel arch) for all four wheels in POWER mode. My initial impression (~15 miles) is handling is tighter (less body lean) and you do feel more bumps, but the ride is not anywhere near harsh. My lowered 2007 S40 with Eibach springs and Bilstein Pro shocks was harsh. ;)

A few pics (sun glimmer was unintentional):

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Sport utility vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
That’s awesome!

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
Very cool! Very attempted. So the RR -10mm is corresponding to the RR: 32.5" height before adjustment?
Any instructions? Does it affect warranty?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very cool! Very attempted. So the RR -10mm is corresponding to the RR: 32.5" height before adjustment?
Any instructions? Does it affect warranty?
Ya, additional -2mm in RR to compensate for [unexplained] factory height difference.

The kit comes with basic instructions, but it's very simple if you have small flat-nose pliers and ~1hr of your time. Basically, park it in Off Road mode (max height), disable auto-leveling in Sensus, and swap the links (fronts are accessible from the wheel well, rears are accessible from under the vehicle). You shouldn't use a jack or ramps. I used a digital caliper for link measurement/adjustment.

I'm not concerned about warranty issues. In HYBRID mode (default), it's 32.5", so higher than OEM POWER mode. ;) Heico offers a kit with the same lowering height and they thoroughly test their products. Worst case, if you're concerned, you can adjust the links back to factory length or swap the OEM links before bringing it in.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
I like the idea of being able to lower the car a bit. One inch seems to be in reason. On other cars when I added Coilovers and lowered the car I had to be concerned with changes in camber. As stated 1" should not be a problem. Let us know if you experience any tire ware out of the ordinary. I did not see Volvo on their site. This is a new product for them?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wait, I thought we were buying these things so we could see over the traffic?
Not me. I'm a tall guy, so I've never had height envy.** :beer:

** In TX, the higher the truck, the shorter the man. Not a scientific study, but easily observable.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the idea of being able to lower the car a bit. One inch seems to be in reason. On other cars when I added Coilovers and lowered the car I had to be concerned with changes in camber. As stated 1" should not be a problem. Let us know if you experience any tire ware out of the ordinary. I did not see Volvo on their site. This is a new product for them?
Visually, I don't see a difference in camber between 32" and 31". From the factory, my alignment (HYBRID mode - 33") was: front camber -0.5, rear camber -1.0. I'll get it checked when the PZeros wear out...so, within a year or 10k miles.

You can test this yourself by manually lowering the rear to 31" using the controls in the hatch and inspecting the camber.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you get your lower bumper painted? How much did that run you?
Most shops near me wouldn't warranty a textured valance or wanted ridiculous $$$, so I smoothed it myself with multiple coats of high-build plastic primer. Came out great.

Excluding MAACO, the best price I could find for tri-coat paint was $205 with a 5yr finish warranty.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 20 of 30 Posts