SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone aware of an air spring (or similar) type of assist for our P3 chassis? I have 2015 V60 T5 FWD with the sport suspension and loading up for vacation with a roof box, bike rack, two kids and a dog, squishes the rear suspension quite a bit. The ride is fine and I've done thousands of miles like this but wondered if there is a solution to raise it back up. Add to this rear camber isn't adjustable and my rears without any load are beyond mfr specs yet the dealer says there's nothing they can do.

Firestone Raise-Rite seem to be what I'm thinking about about but they don't have anything listed for us nor seem to have options for coilover shocks.

77K miles

·
Registered
775 Posts
Is anyone aware of an air spring (or similar) type of assist for our P3 chassis? I have 2015 V60 T5 FWD with the sport suspension and loading up for vacation with a roof box, bike rack, two kids and a dog, squishes the rear suspension quite a bit. The ride is fine and I've done thousands of miles like this but wondered if there is a solution to raise it back up. Add to this rear camber isn't adjustable and my rears without any load are beyond mfr specs yet the dealer says there's nothing they can do.

Firestone Raise-Rite seem to be what I'm thinking about about but they don't have anything listed for us nor seem to have options for coilover shocks.

77K miles
I'm sure accuair could come up with something for you if you really wanted an air leveling solution.

KW makes a coil over for this vehicle and adjustable Camber arms can be purchased from ebay to solve your Camber issue.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
603 Posts
you can mount the comfort suspension on your V60. I removed mine (stored right now) and switch to the sport suspension. I can tell you this is day and night for me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all.
Accuair is a bit overkill for what I'm looking for. Looked at the coilover solutions from KW and Bilstein but it's not what they were meant for - any raising and lowering would really throw off alignnment.
I love the sport suspension and don't want to lose it for the 90% of the rest of the time I use the car. That's what the airbags that pump up the spring seemed to be the best solution: cost, ease of install and ease of inflating when needed - or deflating when not.

Will give Coil-rite a call to see if they have any suggestions.
https://riderite.com/Coil-Rite Detail Page?csrt=4374107420567898502

·
Registered
82 Posts
I bought an Air Lift 1000 universal kit and plan on installing it this weekend. I don't have the kit number (can get that tonight), but I can tell you that the rear bump stop is in the center of the spring and that it will have to remove and replaced with the airbag. Installation should be easy, as it took very little time to change the rear springs when I lowered the vehicle last year.

It called a universal kit, but you have to order the components by size. You have to measure the spring ID and how much vertical room you have for the bag.

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting - but, for that kit, aren't the air sacks supposed to fill the entire inside of the spring? Not sure how this would work as the shock/damper is located inside the spring. Please update with pics as you take this on.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You are correct. The bump stop on the upper sping mount must be removed. I plan to work on it this weekend and will post an update.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I installed these over the weekend. It was pretty straight forward. Remove the rear spring and upper perch then pry off the bump stop. You need to drill a hole in the upper perch for the air line. You need to place it off to the side and drill at an angle. When you install you need to watch the perch orientation as it is offset a bit when installed and placing it the wrong way will pinch the airline.

If you have a stock ride height vehicle then you should use the 1/2 thick upper spacer supplied with the kit. My car is lowered and I had to do some fabbing to get a lower ride height. Basically I welded a large racing seat belt washer across the face of the spring perch where the bump stop was, giving the bad a smooth surface to ride on.

Ride and handing actually seem better than being on the bump stop, so that’s a plus.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Pic

·
Registered
603 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Super interesting. So they replaced the bump stops and have the ability to raise (inflate) and lower (deflate)? Would love to hear how you're getting on over the next few weeks.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello Stampermann- I wanted to check in on how those "air springs" were doing. I'm still curious and would love an update.
Thanks!

·
Registered
82 Posts
They work well. The ride is still good and I have done several multi-hour tows with the race car and trailer. Also, the Kurt Echo bluetooth brake controller works really well. It mounts inline between the trailer port and plug, so you don't have to find a place in the vehicle to mount it up.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fabulous! This is great news! I won't be towing a car, just a utility trailer with mulch but even with 2 teens, a loaded car and hitch bike rack the rear is LOW with the sport suspension (and I'm eating rear tires with no camber adjustment) so looks like I'll do some ordering. Thank you!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts