SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally getting around to the performance upgrades portion of my 2007 V50 T5 AWD!

Since I am new at most of this, I have some questions regarding air intakes.

After doing some reading Between the

* CCI PRe-MAF Intake
* K&N Typhoon and,
* Elevate's Pre-MAF intake
* Injen SP

Which of these offers the best performance on a stock vehicle?

Is this subjective?

I currently have the K&N filter at the top of my list, but with it being an oiled filter, would this affect me at all other than regular maintenance?

Are PRE-MAF Intake kits fine to use without the complete tubing, considering cost?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
If by pre-maf kits you mean just running an open cone filter this will actually lower your peak performance as heat soak sets in however you may feel a slight increase in torque as well as the turbo sound from having an open filter. That being said, this topic has been debated and i think the conclusion was running a larger intake tube with the stock air box is actually the best route as you still have a true cold air intake and not just an open filter sucking in hot air. Another reason the tubing should be changed is there is a honeycomb still filter in your stick intake tube near the turbo side which restricts airflow as well, this can be removed if you really want to keep the stock pipe.

I would recommend staying away from K&N filters, tubing fine but not filters, the oil in them is concerning and all the oil filters ive used have looked noticeably more ruined after the same amount of use - they just seem like a cheap product.

For tubing the Elevate pipe is 3" and has a tendency to get damaged on one of the bends that contacts the block but still a solid product - have had mine of few years now. The CCI kit is a total rip off as you can make your own version of it for under 50$ as i did. If you only want the KN tubing portion you can call there customer service number and order a single replacement for under $100 - old trick not sure if they offer this - basically you have options.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
I'm finally getting around to the performance upgrades portion of my 2007 V50 T5 AWD!

Since I am new at most of this, I have some questions regarding air intakes.

After doing some reading Between the

* CCI PRe-MAF Intake
* K&N Typhoon and,
* Elevate's Pre-MAF intake
* Injen SP

Which of these offers the best performance on a stock vehicle?

Is this subjective?

I currently have the K&N filter at the top of my list, but with it being an oiled filter, would this affect me at all other than regular maintenance?

Are PRE-MAF Intake kits fine to use without the complete tubing, considering cost?

Thanks in advance!
Here's another perspective:
Open cone filters in the enginebay have a remarkable capacity for heat soak in the enginebay - however when driving,they suck in so much fresh air that heatsoak doesn't stay around long - so ideally, great for moving fast, not slow.
The stock box you can put in a K&N panel filter (just put a shop vac to it on the inside of it and suck any excess oil off it before installing it). You can also do a panel KoolBlue Filter from Accel(oiled) or a dry (oilless) panel filter from iPD (my recommendation here is the iPD dryflow - clean it with soap and water, let it dry and reinstall). This has been shown to be better in all around driving than a cone filter, which is motion specific.

You can also get the ECU spacer and maximize your airflow in the box as well, small cheap upgrade but has been shown to benefit airflow.

My stock box didn't come with the snorkel and the vent to the front of the radiator, so I was sucking in hot air anyways. I put in a K&N tube+cone in and admittedly, I like it. Found it on ebay for $150 so it was a deal anyways. Turbo wooshes and go fast noises. Boost fills up quicker a bit thanks to the tube and the smoother flow. If you're going to spend a lot of time in stop/go traffic consider getting exhaust wrap and insulating the plastic pipe that goes from the MAF to the Turbo, it'll help greatly with heatsoak as well.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Here's another perspective:
Open cone filters in the enginebay have a remarkable capacity for heat soak in the enginebay - however when driving,they suck in so much fresh air that heatsoak doesn't stay around long - so ideally, great for moving fast, not slow.
The stock box you can put in a K&N panel filter (just put a shop vac to it on the inside of it and suck any excess oil off it before installing it). You can also do a panel KoolBlue Filter from Accel(oiled) or a dry (oilless) panel filter from iPD (my recommendation here is the iPD dryflow - clean it with soap and water, let it dry and reinstall). This has been shown to be better in all around driving than a cone filter, which is motion specific.

You can also get the ECU spacer and maximize your airflow in the box as well, small cheap upgrade but has been shown to benefit airflow.

My stock box didn't come with the snorkel and the vent to the front of the radiator, so I was sucking in hot air anyways. I put in a K&N tube+cone in and admittedly, I like it. Found it on ebay for $150 so it was a deal anyways. Turbo wooshes and go fast noises. Boost fills up quicker a bit thanks to the tube and the smoother flow. If you're going to spend a lot of time in stop/go traffic consider getting exhaust wrap and insulating the plastic pipe that goes from the MAF to the Turbo, it'll help greatly with heatsoak as well.
+1

Definitely love the sound... I was on the fence about the intake until I drove my friends tuned 2016 Golf R with an injen intake. Bought my parts the next day. Up until recently, I just had the snabb OTE pipe, ECU spacer, and drop in. A very nice improvement over stock but didn't have the much louder turbo sounds that I do now.

Definitely a valid point for the oiled filters. I've had to clean my MAF sensor multiple times due to build up causing rough idle and hesitation under heavy throttle. Sticking with the dry type from now on.

As far as the heatsoak goes, with adequate fresh air via intake ducting I don't see it being much of an issue for normal driving. Traffic jams obviously would be more of an issue. I'm sure the larger intercooler will help a lot. From my understanding, the heatsoak issue isn't "as bad" for turbocharged engines because of the accompanied intercooler. Good idea with the heat wrap. I've also read of a couple people removing the weather stripping below the wipers to allow more heat to escape.

TBH I got sick of removing the stock box as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts