SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to change out the air filter and noticed that there is a gap in between the intake and the filter housing, both with the old filter and new. Do you have to force it down pretty hard to get it to go? There's a noticeable gap.

BTW this is on a 2009 S40 2.4

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
There is a rubber gasket that sits in the lip. It should be flush when you push it in so the screws go into the plastic on the air housing.

Take a pic if you're unsure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a rubber gasket that sits in the lip. It should be flush when you push it in so the screws go into the plastic on the air housing.

Take a pic if you're unsure.
My brother stopped by to check my progress since I was attempting my first oil change myself, and he was able to force it down. He had to use quite a bit of force to get it flush. Is this normal?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you using OEM Volvo part? Should drop in just fine unless otherwise.
No, the one I installed was Fram,which was actually a little smaller than whatever filter the previous owner used.

I'm kind of hoping that by the next time I need to replace it I can find a T5 awd mt. But if I end up keeping this S40 and all have issues with it I may just replace it with a cold air kit, but at 126,xxx miles it doesn't really seem worth it.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
No, the one I installed was Fram,which was actually a little smaller than whatever filter the previous owner used.

I'm kind of hoping that by the next time I need to replace it I can find a T5 awd mt. But if I end up keeping this S40 and all have issues with it I may just replace it with a cold air kit, but at 126,xxx miles it doesn't really seem worth it.

The key to longevity in any car is to stick with 'original branded' OEM parts.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Key to longevity is sticking to OEM quality or better - or something that comes with a lifetime warranty.

OEM part's are great - but you need to remember they included things that some people care about and some people don't - such as silencers on the intakes and a muffler designed to eliminate as much noise as possible - but if you want your engine to last as long as possible, efficiency should be valued over comfort (silence) for example.

I agree CAI's are normally not worth the money, never are, but they look pretty, so if you can find one for cheap snag it, the increased efficiency might pay for itself after another 50-100k.

I put an Accel CoolBlue oiled cotton (2.8micron) filter in mine - kind of an updated K&N. for $35 - Spool time was faster, rubber seal on the edge was slightly oversized so it snugged into the filter housing and spool time dropped signficantly over the stock paper filter.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I use Mann filters. They are an OEM supplier. I can promise you Volvo isn't making there own filters. Do some research for the OE manufacturer and you'll have both the parts and savings.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I've never heard good things about oiled air filters and maf sensors. You're spending more money to gunk up an expensive part. Some people don't have issues but some do. There's so many posts about air filters and air filter tests and volvo oem flows very well. I mean, thats what the engine is tuned for so for optimum efficiency you'd think oem would he the way to go. I buy the oe brand oil filters for 6 bucks each in packs of 3 online, which is cheaper than the dealer or some aftermarket brands. And it's oem. So that's how I save money. I don't buy volvo plugs I buy the Bosch plugs made for volvo for 3 bucks each. Sensors and stuff I look up the oem manufacturer. Thr fps on the s40 was like 50 bucks on amazon, oe brand. And in another brands box no less. So you just have to do your research.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I've never heard good things about oiled air filters and maf sensors. You're spending more money to gunk up an expensive part. Some people don't have issues but some do. There's so many posts about air filters and air filter tests and volvo oem flows very well. I mean, thats what the engine is tuned for so for optimum efficiency you'd think oem would he the way to go. I buy the oe brand oil filters for 6 bucks each in packs of 3 online, which is cheaper than the dealer or some aftermarket brands. And it's oem. So that's how I save money. I don't buy volvo plugs I buy the Bosch plugs made for volvo for 3 bucks each. Sensors and stuff I look up the oem manufacturer. Thr fps on the s40 was like 50 bucks on amazon, oe brand. And in another brands box no less. So you just have to do your research.

+1. Volvo really only makes large engine components. Everything else is sourced. It's a waste to buy genuine Volvo when an OE part is the same. Example: ford makes the speed sensors, but volvos (which are really ford) are so much more. Also, end links, the Volvo ones say TRW...

·
Registered
3,112 Posts

There's discussion on this, I am not sure how accurate this is, supposedly the hotwire MAF sensors have a cleaning cycle that activates whenever you turn on your car? Making over-oiling of an air filter only relevant if you wayyyy over do it (which yes K&N WAYYYYY overdoes it from the factory, I just put a vacuum on the inside of the filter and pre-suck the oil out to ensure none of it makes it down the tube to the MAF, Accel and a few others don't). Either way, if you're truly concerned about the MAF sensor, you'll buy some MAF cleaner and clean it once a year anyways.

And in terms of flow of OEM paper filters vs aftermarket filters on turbocharged setups, we're just talking how fast the vacuum created between the compressor and the filter gets filled, yes sure, OEM does a good enough job (the faster the air filter allows air through, the faster your turbo will spool up to maximum pressure, and therefore better gas mileage), but I was never a "good job is good enough" kind of person. I wanted something that would flow the best with providing the best filtration for the longest amount of time between services. This is where people get into this or that preference based on this or that desire, so pick what you'd want and go from there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts