SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to get too much air to the box? (closed top) i now reside in Arizona for next few school years. I dont want to run it open because of the heat and the dust. I will be putting in the R-Kelly intake mod and didnt know if too much air was an issue. (possibility of doing 2, one for each side.)

Also what kind of screw opens the box? some sort of star shaped screw?

What kind of air filters are you guys running inside your closed box? I'm looking to change my filter soon and was thinking maybe a K&N?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Is it possible to get too much air to the box? (closed top) i now reside in Arizona for next few school years. I dont want to run it open because of the heat and the dust. I will be putting in the R-Kelly intake mod and didnt know if too much air was an issue. (possibility of doing 2, one for each side.)

Also what kind of screw opens the box? some sort of star shaped screw?

What kind of air filters are you guys running inside your closed box? I'm looking to change my filter soon and was thinking maybe a K&N?

Thanks
1 - too much air isn't an issue but since you live in a dry state you just have to be careful about how much you suck in with the R-Kellys. A couple people have dual R-Kellys and they are fine.
2 - I believe its a Torx 25 bit? maybe smaller but it is a Torx bit.
3 - not many options for the factory filter, K&N filter or a EST blue filter either way watch out for oil on the MAF, I just stuck to the normal stock paper filters since they are cheap and easy to replace and since you'll be in Arizona you might wanna look into a FMIC :D

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
If excessive dust is an issue don't go K&N.
Do investigate CAI, bring it up right under the filter element as instructions show.
Change the filter more often than the rest of us.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Dual CAI into the closed box should create a overpressure in the box witch would make the turbo and engine much easier to breath witch would make slightly better response? I'm thinking about doing this by myself but havnt got the time yet.

You can read some product review (of the "R-Kelly") at IPD about this and it make sense.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Yes, do an Rkelly CAI or two. They are nice on the highway as you get almost instantaneous pickup at 60+mph. Also have to second the call for a FMIC. You can buy the kit off ebay for ~$250 if you're willing to do the piecing together. There'd also probably be a few SS members that would help you install it if you got in touch with them. With the FMIC your car will think it's winter year round...

Also, avoid K&N for the AZ environment as it doesn't filter as well as the stock paper filters. I have heard really good things about the EST filter but you'd have to clean it fairly diligently [every 4-5k miles, I'd think] with all the dust down there. It'd be better to buy a pair of them and swap them out. That would save you a bunch of hassle.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I've actually been thinking about throwing my air box and ram back in even tho I love the sound of the open air intake.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
I have been running dual CAIs for years, old thread from 2006/07 that showed video of manometer testing somewhere, basically eliminates all vacuum by 30 mph, even under modified boost levels, and builds really nice positive pressure after that which just gets more and more faster you go. Improves throttle response and with just one CAI 10 hp improvement in 3rd gear with GTech testing. Those charts are aomewhere as well in old thread. BTW, crossed 900 mark on # of CAI kits sold in May.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
And I have a few of the "centered" intakes you need to do a passenger side CAI or if you have a Phuz FMIC, IM me if you want one.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have been running dual CAIs for years, old thread from 2006/07 that showed video of manometer testing somewhere, basically eliminates all vacuum by 30 mph, even under modified boost levels, and builds really nice positive pressure after that which just gets more and more faster you go. Improves throttle response and with just one CAI 10 hp improvement in 3rd gear with GTech testing. Those charts are aomewhere as well in old thread. BTW, crossed 900 mark on # of CAI kits sold in May.
Quick search found one of your experiments comparing stock air filter. http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?143024-Air-Filter-Testing-BMC-vs.-Stock&highlight=gtech+cai

Oldest post I could quickly find referencing the dual setup: http://forums.swedespeed.com/archive/index.php/t-88143.html

Another interesting and relevant discussion: http://forums.swedespeed.com/archive/index.php/t-63242-p-2.html

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hello fellow Arizonan. I am in Phoenix. I currently run a single R-Kelly style CAI. I use the stock Volvo filter with the foam bit pulled off (hey...I like the sound, sue me). This time of year, my Intake Air Temps run well north of 130'F, even at idle. Prolonged boost will easily push that into the 200'F region. During the summer, I just accept that the computer is going to pull the boost levels back. That being said, I'd much rather bring "cool" air from the outside of the engine bay. I can only imagine what manner of melt inducing sadness the engine bay temp ends up being. Especially when waiting for traffic lights.

At one time I ran a K&N, but found that it just was not providing a level of filtering I found acceptable. I cleaned my MAF and found evidence fine dust was *certainly* making it though.

A FMIC is on my short list. Along with a water/alcohol injection system. That should really help keep the intake temps in better check.

From past threads, it looks like our restrictive upper exhaust is much more of a performance hindrance than pumping losses on the intake. I bet a downpipe and a FMIC would take care of the two main issues our engines have in their stock configuration (backpressure and intake temp).

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
A FMIC is on my short list. Along with a water/alcohol injection system. That should really help keep the intake temps in better check.

WOW 200 degree IAT, I can only imagine how much power that saps. Even in stop & go traffic on 95 degree days the highest IAT I have seen is in the 120's, if i am moving I generally see about 7 - 9 degrees over ambient temps, here is a crappy cell phone pick from last weeks heatwave.

You will be very happy when you do pull the trigger on a FMIC

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I think at least one CAI is a no-brainer. For the filter, there's nothing wrong with the stock filter, but I would remove the foam "sock" off it as mentioned. I've been using the K&N filter without issues, but I bought two so I could keep one cleaned and oiled for replacement as needed.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
OP, the R Kelly is a cheap way to get some better quality air into the intake, but the FMIC is going the be the game changer. I still need to piece together the $300 for a DIY FMIC, but I have all the threads saved locally, so thanks to the collaborative effort of SS members, I have the know how for when I have a box full of plumbing dropped at my front door.
Even with my T5 setup, I can feel the torque and esp hp fall off a cliff before 90F. By 105F, it feels like an NA engine. Oceanracer, who's XC was featured on IPDs site last month, said that he loses a something like 10 hp for each 10F above 70F. My butt dyno backs it up, so you can imagine what 109F feels like when the AC compressor pulls another few hp off the already shrinking power figures.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Gonna hijack your thread here: I notice IPD only sells single side R Kelly CAI - would one have to custom make the tubing and scoops for the other side?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Gonna hijack your thread here: I notice IPD only sells single side R Kelly CAI - would one have to custom make the tubing and scoops for the other side?
And I have a few of the "centered" intakes you need to do a passenger side CAI or if you have a Phuz FMIC, IM me if you want one.
Go up a few posts.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
If you check out the stickied threads, most of the old CAI threads are there under engine mods, thanks to Jim Lill for organizing that.

In those you can see the pressure differentials for stock, 1 or two CAIs. One thing that I thought was interesting was that my my cold air intake flowed more air than the stock intake. while the stock hose into the box is much bigger the actual scoop area is much smaller at 12.5 sq in versus 21 sq in on mine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts