SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am having a hard time understanding the way the system works and have a few questions:

When the AC is set to minimum to minimum fan and air directed to face (middle position), it is extremely unacceptable loud. When I add the foot zone, it quites down considerably. Engaging the upper zone does not make a difference in the noise.

When the AC is on in the rear, I get no airflow whatsoever coming from the two center vents, even when they are fully open. Air comes out of the side vents.
Recirculating air or not does not change the air flow or noise.

In general I find the AC fans super loud compared to any car I had.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Hi, I am having a hard time understanding the way the system works and have a few questions:

When the AC is set to minimum to minimum fan and air directed to face (middle position), it is extremely unacceptable loud. When I add the foot zone, it quites down considerably. Engaging the upper zone does not make a difference in the noise.

When the AC is on in the rear, I get no airflow whatsoever coming from the two center vents, even when they are fully open. Air comes out of the side vents.
Recirculating air or not does not change the air flow or noise.

In general I find the AC fans super loud compared to any car I had.
I understand that there is one fan - not two - that drives the Climate system. The fan noise can be loud if you have the front set to Max or the rear is set to 3 or 4.

I had my Climate system and airflow recalibrated and all is just fine now.

In my profile, I set the default fan speed to 3 in the front and 1 in the rear. I typically have the rear fan set to 1 or 2. I only occasionally have passengers in the back and 2 is usually sufficient. It is not loud for me.

I do not need to use Max anymore (except during extreme cold temps for defrosting). Undoubtedly, the fan is loud on Max.

As a suggestion, you might reset your Climate to Auto and adjust the fan speed to 3 and the rear fan to 1 or 2 to set a baseline. If there is not enough airflow set with a lower temp for AC (or vice versa for heat), then maybe a recalibration is warranted. I think there is a TJ on some models related to the Climate system and volume of airflow which may or may not be applicable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
95 Posts
I agree that the air conditioning is extremely loud for the airflow you get. Much louder than my other cars and they have better airflow. Had I discovered this during the test drive it probably would have been a deal-breaker. My AC also has a pronounced and annoying whistle when it first starts up. The whistle typically goes away within a few minutes, fortunately. I don’t have the problem with the center vents when running the rear vents.

Having said all this, what does the recalibration do? Would it help with the auto setting? I find that when I turn down the temp when I’m on auto climate, the fan does not usually reduce. Instead it just changes the temperature of the airflow, some times kicking in heated air even though I ask for a temp lower than ambient. Very annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Would it help with the auto setting? I find that when I turn down the temp when I’m on auto climate, the fan does not usually reduce.
I don't believe the temperature ever changes the fan setting. You'll need to do that. I leave mine on 3 almost all of the time, but if I want to juice it up I'll go to 4.

I do find that the highest setting is annoyingly loud. Although I would mention that I test drove a brand new XC60, and it had crazy loud AC at all levels. I asked the dealer if it was messed up, but he was non-committal. I would've bailed if I hadn't driven another where it was normal.

As far as the cooled seats, I'd agree that the '3' setting has an easily audible noise. It's probably not any louder than the fan on the 2nd setting though. I normally run seats on 2 or 1, and I can barely hear it.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
...Having said all this, what does the recalibration do? Would it help with the auto setting? ...
Recalibration helped with both the airflow and air volume - given the fan speed set at 3. I advised the shop that I was not getting what I characterized as normal air flow with switching to a fan speed of 4 or 5.

Although defaulted to 3, i adjust my fan from 3 to 2 on longer )40+ minute) drives. Still keeping us cool during +80° F sunny days.

You might check out TJ 33353.1.2 titled “Climate unit, not sufficient airflow from vents”. The description says “If customer experiences not enough air flow from the air vents when the fan motor is running and it has been determined that the outside air vent in HVAC air is loose. Note: If the air flows return when pressing the recirculation button, then the outside vent is likely loose.”

My invoice had no reference to this TJ - only a reference to “re-calibrated Climate system”.

Mine seems to be working like a charm.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand that there is one fan - not two - that drives the Climate system. The fan noise can be loud if you have the front set to Max or the rear is set to 3 or 4.

In my profile, I set the default fan speed to 3 in the front and 1 in the rear. I typically have the rear fan set to 1 or 2. I only occasionally have passengers in the back and 2 is usually sufficient. It is not loud for me.

I do not need to use Max anymore (except during extreme cold temps for defrosting). Undoubtedly, the fan is loud on Max.

As a suggestion, you might reset your Climate to Auto and adjust the fan speed to 3 and the rear fan to 1 or 2 to set a baseline. If there is not enough airflow set with a lower temp for AC (or vice versa for heat), then maybe a recalibration is warranted. I think there is a TJ on some models related to the Climate system and volume of airflow which may or may not be applicable.

Wow, I had no idea you can adjust fans from the Profiles. I will certainly give it a try.
Thanks you

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree that the air conditioning is extremely loud for the airflow you get. Much louder than my other cars and they have better airflow. Had I discovered this during the test drive it probably would have been a deal-breaker. My AC also has a pronounced and annoying whistle when it first starts up. The whistle typically goes away within a few minutes, fortunately. I don’t have the problem with the center vents when running the rear vents.

Having said all this, what does the recalibration do? Would it help with the auto setting? I find that when I turn down the temp when I’m on auto climate, the fan does not usually reduce. Instead it just changes the temperature of the airflow, some times kicking in heated air even though I ask for a temp lower than ambient. Very annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am 100% with you on this. It would probably have been a deal breaker for me as well.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Recalibration helped with both the airflow and air volume - given the fan speed set at 3. I advised the shop that I was not getting what I characterized as normal air flow with switching to a fan speed of 4 or 5.

Although defaulted to 3, i adjust my fan from 3 to 2 on longer )40+ minute) drives. Still keeping us cool during +80° F sunny days.

You might check our TJ 33353.1.2 titled “Climate unit, not sufficient airflow from vents”. The description says “If customer experiences not enough air flow from the air vents when the fan motor is running and it has been determined that the outside air vent in HVAC air s loose. Note: If the air flows return when pressing the recirculation button, then the outside vent is likely loose.”

My invoice had no reference to this TJ - only a reference to “re-calibrated Climate system”.

Mine seems to be working like a charm.

Thanks for the info. Where can I get more details in 33353?

·
Registered
3,639 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don't believe the temperature ever changes the fan setting. You'll need to do that.
Well if Auto doesn't adjust the fan speed, wtf makes it "Auto"?? But this does seem to be the case.

OK - 2018 XC60 T8 Inscription Advanced/Convenience/Vision. I have rear vents on the door pillars (now off because they are so freaking loud right behind my head), but no rear controls I can find. Nothing in the driver profile (there's nothing there anyway except tie to key and protect). How do I get to the rear fan settings? I don't have controls on the back of the center console either...

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Well if Auto doesn't adjust the fan speed, wtf makes it "Auto"?? But this does seem to be the case.

OK - 2018 XC60 T8 Inscription Advanced/Convenience/Vision. I have rear vents on the door pillars (now off because they are so freaking loud right behind my head), but no rear controls I can find. Nothing in the driver profile (there's nothing there anyway except tie to key and protect). How do I get to the rear fan settings? I don't have controls on the back of the center console either...
No control for that on T8. It is same climate zone as front vent.

Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Climate can be set to full Auto by pressing “Auto” in the Climate Panel. I believe the fan is set to 3 as the default max. Full Auto will adjust the fan speed down but it will not exceed the max. You would need to do that manually and now it would be manual.

If you want a higher or lower fan speed set as the max default, you can select the desired fan speed. In that case, the fan will no longer be Auto but the rest of the Climate system (e.g.,temps) will be in Auto mode.

If you have a separate fan control in the rear like the XC90, that default fan speed can be set similarly (where I have it set to 1).

Once you have the Climate system set the way you want it by default, you would go to your respective profile, and save it, preferably to an assigned key Fob. The profile must be unlocked to save. Then you can lock it so that it is saved with your profile and key fob.

There is no specific button or feature in settings or profiles specifically for Climate. It is inherited by what your settings are at the time you save it to the profile.

Of course, you may manually override these default settings, but if saved to your profile the default settings will be restored the next time you start your car.

It may be best to re-read through the owners manual on the subject of profiles and Climate.

From XC90 highlights

·
Registered
26 Posts
The one thing I’ve noticed is that fan speed 1 is quite high and it seems to be maximum at speed 3. Speeds 4 and 5 do not increase airflow whatsoever. I was told by the dealership that one of the software updates caused this and they are waiting for a fix. Anyone else hear these things or have the same problem.. I have a 2019 XC60 T8 Inscription.Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts