SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a bit odd, but I thought I'd ask anyway. When my climate control system is off & I start the car up, a foul odor comes out of the a/c vents. When I turn the blower & a/c on, it clears things up, and the odor goes away. The odor reminds me of something like mildew/mold that you might get when leaving a wet towel unattended. My a/c was recently evacuated & recharged by the dealer to fix a leak in the system but this seems unrelated. Could it possibly be the cabin filter (might it have gotten damp somehow?). Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
14,377 Posts
Re: Air Conditioning Annoyance (Taleof2Bricks2)

The newer models have a blower that cycles on and off when the car is sitting to dry out the HVAC system and I thought I read that this could be retrofitted to older models? Just not sure, though. You may want to ask a mechanic or dealer service department.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Air Conditioning Annoyance (Stormin Norman)

Change the cabin air filter.
Clean and spray the A/C intake (remove panel in front of the windshield) with Fridgee Fresh. You can get this (or the equivilent) at any auto parts store.
You may have to repeat the spray part a couple of times

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Re: (phoenix1)

My '98 V70R is doing the same thing right now. A friend who knows about cars said I probably need freon. I know last year they recharged the system and found a small leak that they fixed. Is my a/c shot? If I just have them fill it with freon and path a slow leak will that suffice?

·
Registered
2019 S60 Pine Gray, M. Brown, Lin. Lime
2,931 Posts
Re: (soledoc)

Quote, originally posted by phoenix1 »
...I have the same "nasty" sour sock smell...

Quote, originally posted by soledoc »
My '98 V70R is doing the same thing right now...

Wait a minute. Soledoc, you're a foot doctor. Shouldn't you be used to that sour sock smell by now? You could just ignore it.

Sorry...I guess that was really bad. I'm just bored right now and must be losing it a little.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Re: (ljjones)

Quote, originally posted by ljjones »

Wait a minute. Soledoc, you're a foot doctor. Shouldn't you be used to that sour sock smell by now? You could just ignore it.

Sorry...I guess that was really bad. I'm just bored right now and must be losing it a little.

Actually I think my nose doesn't work that well. It was my wife and friend that noticed the "no freon" smell in the car. I think I've lost all my olfactory senses after years of smelling jungle rot, pus, gangrene, toe jam etc...

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (soledoc)

THAT was nice to read right before dinner...

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
JRL, can't believe you eat this early when you're cooking all of those tastee delights you post about...or was it fast food tonight?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (MadeInJapan)

We senior citizens eat early.

You know, I go out for the blue plate specials, 4-6PM 1/2 price.

(I always liked to eat early and now I have to. I'm diabetic and if I don't eat at a certain time, like 6:30, I start to get a bit wierd).
Tonight it was a tasty healthy turkey burger. Way too hot (100 degrees) to cook anything inside, much less turn on a burner

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Re: (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
if I don't eat at a certain time, like 6:30, I start to get a bit wierd.

Okay, gotcha! Now, things are very clear to me.
Please eat your dinner BEFORE you begin to post in the evenings.

You know I'm just kidding

1 - 13 of 13 Posts