SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you turn AC off? My husband said it should be turned off. In 4 years, I have never touched it. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Do you close the windows at home when the AC is on?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OMG! Just what I needed to start my day...a good laugh! However, believe it or not, I remember my Volvo salesman in California (I'm in NY) told me to never shut it even when the top is down.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Maybe the salesman said that because the owner's manual mentions that when you keep it on Auto, with the top up or down, it tries to maintain the desired interior temperature.

I use it as needed. When it's hot, having the A/C on easily helps keep your cooler, especially if you have it blowing right on you in much the same way the heated seats keep you warmer during cooler top down driving.

It's there, if it can keep you more comfortable, might as well use it.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I took the doggie to the groomer this AM with the top down...80-82 degrees when we started, closer to 88 on the trip home. DW then took the C70 to her workout, but I have a feeling the A/C was running for her trip into town ;) . Top will go up before lunch and hopefully will be needed during a welcome thundershower this afternoon(fingers crossed). I've come to terms with DW's A/C and heat use over the years and just make the adjustments as I need. I'll certainly admit to running the A/C with the top down, especially in stop-and-go traffic. Our '91 Miata had a dead A/C by the time we traded in '01...even when it was working, that thin black top did nothing but heat up the car! I guess we can run the C70 air when desired to make up for 'cooking' all those years! :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. I win. The AC stays on. I actually shut it for the first time ever today, and it's 99 here in Staten Island. And I was actually roasting while driving. I also ran 10 miles in the heat, then had top down on way back with no air and I wanted to faint at the wheel! So back on it is. I'm all for comfort....at my age, that's what it's about!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't understand the question. But I liked the answers. If its 90 and the top is down,I have the ac on. ESP.. In stop and go traffic. If it's 75, then your just wasting gas in my opinion.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't understand the question. But I liked the answers. If its 90 and the top is down,I have the ac on. ESP.. In stop and go traffic. If it's 75, then your just wasting gas in my opinion.
The question was actually a comment my husband made that I'm foolish leaving the air conditioner running when the top is down. Only took him 4 years to notice that I do this.... he has never even sat in my car when top was down until this week (I was in driveway and he got in car to check something) and I got a sermon from him. I never thought about shutting it off.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The question was actually a comment my husband made that I'm foolish leaving the air conditioner running when the top is down. Only took him 4 years to notice that I do this.... he has never even sat in my car when top was down until this week (I was in driveway and he got in car to check something) and I got a sermon from him. I never thought about shutting it off.
Well, you would think there is a 'wear and tear' factor at work if the A/C is running 'all the time'. I've never noticed a big difference in gas mileage, but one would think 'parts' would wear out more frequently/sooner with virtually constant use.

As long as you're comfy, I say run it when you want; but, leaving it on when it's 70 degrees out seems a bit unnecessary.

·
Registered
18 Posts
For those who may not have known, the key function of an air conditioner is to remove humidity from a contained airspace. Lower humidity = cooler temp when using a cold setting. You can also run the A/C on a hot setting, most vehicles do this automatically with the windshield defroster/defogger setting.

Running air conditioner with your top down is about as foolish as it gets (no offense meant), you're simply just wasting energy to have a small amount of cool air blow on you. Coachrick makes a good point about wear & tear, vehicle air conditioners aren't meant to operate constantly over long periods of time let alone if they're not being used properly. But hey its your car!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Now to me, foolish is sitting there sweating away when there's AC available simply because you're worried about wasting a little energy or wear and tear.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Now to me, foolish is sitting there sweating away when there's AC available simply because you're worried about wasting a little energy or wear and tear.
You're missing the point, air conditioning is ONLY effective within an enclosed airspace. An example is a C70 with the top and windows up or a building with all doors & windows closed. Running the A/C with the top down is essentially blowing a small amount of cool air (which quickly dissipates) into the hot air around you. If you're too hot with the top down then put the top and windows up and crank the A/C, makes a ton of sense to me!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I would use the A/C with the top down if I needed to - don't see why not. Living in a northern climate there are cool days in spring/fall so i use the heater with the top down to extend the convertible driving season so why not the A/C on very hot days when not moving too quickly (ie. traffic)....I wouldn't use it all the time though.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Our Scottie-girl loves to stand on the center console compartment lid and have the cool A/C air blow in her face :) . She's NOT spoiled or anything ;) .

·
Registered
105 Posts
You're missing the point, air conditioning is ONLY effective within an enclosed airspace. An example is a C70 with the top and windows up or a building with all doors & windows closed. Running the A/C with the top down is essentially blowing a small amount of cool air (which quickly dissipates) into the hot air around you. If you're too hot with the top down then put the top and windows up and crank the A/C, makes a ton of sense to me!
Who cares if it quickly dissipates. I keep the vents blowing on my arms and face and it keeps me plenty cool.

I suppose I shouldn't keep the top down either with the heater blowing and heated seats on when it's cold outside as well.

Guess I'll just put the top down on only the most perfect of days....

·
Registered
18 Posts
I suppose I shouldn't keep the top down either with the heater blowing and heated seats on when it's cold outside as well.
Actually your engine generates excess heat so you'd be doing your car a favor by running the heater at any time, I do it in my mom's convertable all the time as well as in my wagon with the windows down. Also your seat heaters are tied in to your alternator & battery, you'd simply be operating another electrical device.

You folks can do what you want with your air conditioners but I'd simply advise against running them with your top down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts