SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pin-hole sized hole in the A/C radiator. They sell the recharge/leak sealing kits at the auto parts store, and I figure that it is probably meant for apps like this. My question: will this stuff gum up my system and lead to a total failure of the system? Am I better off getting the radiator fixed/replaced and how much will this cost?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Air Con recharge/sealant (ecmiller)

Replace the condensor.
This junk, like stop leak for an engine will eventually KILL and gum up your entire system.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts

How new is your evaporator? If it's been a while, you can expect that to eventually start leaking as well. They ALL do. Nothing like watching that fresh 134a charge on a repair blow out another leak point. If your system is open to atmosphere at this point, that is not helping matters any.

If you've got a bad condensor and an elderly evaporator, you might as well bite the bullet and do them both (and the receiver dryer) all at the same time. Big dollars, but it will be done correctly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

The hole is from impact damage. (not from the inside) I must have hit some piece of debris, like a piece of gravel or a stick, it is in the front, low, where there is an opening below the bumper.
Is this repairable? Or do I need to replace the radiator?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts

It doesn't matter whether the hole is from the outside or the inside. A hole is a hole and a leak just the same. It's best to replace the condenser under those circumstances. I don't recommend repairing automotive condensers.

And again, it's called a condenser (or sometimes a condensor), not a radiator. And it's not to be confused with the condensors (or condensers) found in point style ignitions.

When the radiator leaks, your car overheats.
When the AC condenser leaks, you overheat.

I'd also take a long look at the evaporator before investing large dollars in the AC system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.