SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to remove the air box on an LPT/01-04 T5? I am investigating an "R Kelly"-type CAI using 2.5" rigid piping that may be of interest around here if I can get it to work.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I find it easiest to remove the lid first, leaving just the airbox. Then grab the airbox on the side closer to the engine and yank upwards.

The back mount (against the fender) usually will easily pull free then. There may be a nut holding it on there so look first.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Having removed the air box on our 2005 XC70 in order to install a new headlight bulb, I can say it is easier said than done. Getting it out is basically a snap fitting that can be yanked on, but getting the darn thing to snap back into position actually caused me to invent a few new words, not sure if they were German or Swedish, but you get the idea. :)

best,

P

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I considered just yanking, but it seems that I could break off the tabs and be stuck with an airbox that no longer attaches to the car.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I posted this same question after trying the method hat always worked for me on the 850s. Long ratchet extension and deep well socket to compress the tabs. I never got much response, so armed with my ratchet extension and socket, I went to work again, and got it.
I used a 10" - 12" long 1/4" ratchet extension and 11mm ? deep well socket and voila. It takes some finesse, but after I got it, it seemed so easy.
Do the three that hold the bottom down first, and then pull the air-box out of the sheet metal on the side.
If you break a tab, I don't think that it is the end of the world, as I am sure that is a replaceable part.

·
Registered
151 Posts
airbox removal

I just had to do this to my wife's car to replace a bulb.

Removed top and filter first.

Used two long needle nose pliers to compress the plastic snap plugs (whatever you want to call them). I squeezed all four prongs together and then lifted up on the air box. Did this to 2 of three snap plugs leaving the one toward the driver's wheel/back of the car connected. Once the two were disconnected, I slid the box out w/ the third snap plug still connected.

Reinstall was simple. Slide it back in and then push down when everything was aligned.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I use a long extension with a 10mm at the end and just depress the tabs then pull up... Easy peasy

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Of course now that I posted about this I have had to take my airbox on and off like 5 times in the past week :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts