SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across this article entitled "Ain't Nobody Buying the Volvo S60 Cross Country" on The Truth About Cars (TTAC) website last night. It was posted on Friday 10/16/2015.

Apparently, only 79 of the S60 CC models have been sold during August and September. 50 of those were in the short August introduction month and only 29 were sold in September. They're on track to sell maybe 200-220 by year end. In contrast, the V60 CC sold 407 units in August and September.

I think there are several fairly obvious reasons that the S60 Cross Country isn't selling. It only comes in the Platinum trim level, it is only available in Osmium Grey Metallic with Off-Black Sport Leather and, perhaps the most important question of all, did anyone really want a near-luxury sedan with the ride height increased by 2.5" and 'rugged' design elements such as the Black fender arch trim??? The sporty front and rear skid plates and side scuff plates just look odd on the 'jacked up' S60, at least in my opinion.

The V60 Cross Country comes is available in seven exterior colors and there are three interior color options. The V60 CC T5 (no trim level indicated) is actually equivalent to the regular V60 Premier in terms of feature content. The Platinum trim level is available on the V60 CC for $3,650. But you can get a V60 CC 'Base' with BLIS, Heated Front Seats and Keyless Drive and keep the sticker price under $44k. The S60 CC starts at $44,440 and with BLIS, Heated Front Seats and Speed-sensitive steering (the minimum specs I've found anywhere in the Southeast) and the price is $46,190. A comparably equipped V60 Cross Country T5 Platinum would sticker for $47,900 ($1,610 more) but that is in line with the S60/V60 price difference of around $1300-$2000 on the regular models. Plus you can choose an interior and exterior color for the V60 CC, which would more than justify the price difference for me.

I've given it a little thought since I read this trying to think about what they could do to help it sell. I definitely think that it needs at least four exterior color choices with one being White and one being a light color (Seashell and/or Silver) and another dark color choice (Twilight Bronze looks great on the V60 CC). At least one more interior color would also help. A lot of folks simply don't care for an All-Black interior and a light or medium shade of gray or beige would do the trick. I also wonder if an entry-level (Premier trim level) model with a starting price right under $41k would help?

But maybe no amount of color and feature changes or price changes will help if there is simply is no market for the S60 CC. The V60 CC is a viable alternative to a compact/mid-size Crossover (CUV) but taking away the extra cargo capacity and versatility thanks to the V60's wagon shape, the rest of the package just doesn't make a lot of sense, IMO.

TTAC Article Link

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I have no idea what the **** they were thinking with this. I think they are literally just going "CC-CRAZY" and this mutant creature is one of the more unfortunate results.

The article you reference is dead on: "Sometimes you get it right. Sometimes you get it wrong. And sometimes you get it so wrong we all figure you were just playing a practical joke." The first thing I tought of when I saw this was a horrid attempt at luxifying a Subaru Legacy Outback. Which is something that should not happen. Ever.

At a time when volvo is struggling to re-define their brand identity and connect with the US-market, this appears to be a serious mistake.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Never understood why VCNA imports the S60CC and V60CC but not the V40. Looks like it may be 2 more years before the V40 is here.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
100% agree^^^ I was actually writing that in my previous post but thought I was headed towards an off-topic rant so deleted :)

I'd love the option of a V40 of any variety. The way Crosstreks are selling in my neck of the woods to the same Demographic that used to drive Volvos, a V40xc (or CC) would probably do well.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Never understood why VCNA imports the S60CC and V60CC but not the V40. Looks like it may be 2 more years before the V40 is here.
Because the V40 was not engineered for the U.S. market. You will get your wish, in the very near future.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Because the V40 was not engineered for the U.S. market. You will get your wish, in the very near future.
Why wasn't the V40 engineered for the U.S. market? Did Volvo misread American consumers and the need for a "small" Volvo? My local dealers often said they have been clamoring for a "small" Volvo since the demise of the S40.

Always wondered why BMW doesn't import the 1-series hatchback and Mercedes the B-Class. Ditto the gas version of the Audi A3 Sportback.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Because there isn't a market for it and it's hideous? I hope the gamble didn't cost Volvo very much. Very excited for the V40!
I think there is. I'd buy a good looking hatchback in a heartbeat but not one of those chopped off station wagons they call a hatchback that's being offered today. A hatchback is so much more versatile than a sedan and if one looks the same, win win. Instead of the S60CC a S60 hatchback would have been a better choice.

·
Registered
72 Posts
. . . a S60 hatchback would have been a better choice.
Have you really, really looked at the V60? It is a hatchback. A four-door one, but a hatchback none the less. As far as the S60CC goes, take a look at the Eagle sedan. Maybe the people at Volvo were playing with the Way Back machine?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes, it's a station wagon..
How's the Kool Ade? :D Station wagons have a roof that goes all the way back at the same height and a tail gate that is vertical. Makes it real practical for hauling stuff. Hatches look real spiffy, but they're a bit less practical.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I think there is. I'd buy a good looking hatchback in a heartbeat but not one of those chopped off station wagons they call a hatchback that's being offered today. A hatchback is so much more versatile than a sedan and if one looks the same, win win. Instead of the S60CC a S60 hatchback would have been a better choice.
I agree, but there's very little market for a "hatchback" as you describe in the US, unfortunately. This is why BMW can't sell the 3 series GT, and why Audi doesn't attempt to bring the A5 sportbak here. Many sedans we have in the US have hatchback variants elsewhere, like the Mazda 6, Ford Mondeo/Fusion, Buick Regal (Opel Insignia), and the A5 Sportbak previously mentioned. Not sure about the numbers, but I'd bet that the A7 and 5 series GT luxury hatches sell in very small numbers compared to their sedan versions, the A6 and 5 series respectively. I personally would prefer a hatch variant of the S60 over the sedan (having lived with that super small trunk opening), but the V60 is much more practical by comparison yet remains sporty (and rare). The only hatchbacks that sell well here in the US are the smaller entry level cars like the VW Golf, Ford Focus, Kia Forte, Mazda 3, etc. Oh, and the cheap micro hatch cars.

Regardless, the S60CC was only meant to be a short run release to test the waters. It's no secret to Volvo and the rest of the industry that the only hatches Americans will pay big dollars for are connected to SUV's/Crossovers.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
I agree that this was an inexpensive way for Volvo to see if there was any market for this, at essentially no cost. (In fact, I am guessing they make $ on the S60CC; it doesn't "cost" them anything, except the small amount to figure out how to attach the new parts to the S60 and what those new parts should be.)

I am not a fan of it, but I don't see it having any negative effect on the brand. They took a flyer with it. So what?

I can understand why someone might like the S60CC. Someone who wants "rugged" but doesn't want to drive an SUV or a wagon.

Personally, though I like wagons, I can see why someone might not like a wagon. They aren't as safe for your stuff as a car with a trunk, for example. I like the higher sitting position offered by the S60CC, but I don't want to climb into an SUV.

It's not completely insane that Volvo offered this. I have to think there are a LOT of SUV drivers who are ready to transition to something more "civilized."

Americans love our SUVs. If Volvo can talk even a sliver of those SUV-loving folks into coming down out of their trucks and into a sedan, this sort of sedan is a logical step, IMO. But I think Volvo would need to stick with this for multiple years for it to stick. Or put a bunch of marketing money into it, to get the message out.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts

·
Registered
13,962 Posts
Why wasn't the V40 engineered for the U.S. market? Did Volvo misread American consumers and the need for a "small" Volvo? My local dealers often said they have been clamoring for a "small" Volvo since the demise of the S40.

Always wondered why BMW doesn't import the 1-series hatchback and Mercedes the B-Class. Ditto the gas version of the Audi A3 Sportback.
I would imagine that BMW and Mercedes still haven't forgotten their hatchback forays in the US 20 years ago or whenever that was. Premium hatchbacks just don't sell well in the US.

The question of the V40 in the US really comes down to feasibility - Will a smallish hatchback for $30k (or more) sell in the US?

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
I hear the argument, but I think it would be better served by something like this that people would actually buy:

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/05/24/volvo-v40-cross-country-heico-xc40/
Satchell -but that's not a sedan. For someone coming from an SUV or a wagon who wants a sedan (if there ARE such people), an XC40 would not make the list.

I agree that it's cool, and it might appeal to you (or me) and to wayyyy more people than the S60CC, but it's not the same audience as the S60CC is aimed at, IMO.

"I want a TRUNK, goldangit!!"
-older buyer who is tired of having his SUV/wagon broken into, but who still wants a higher driving position and some outdoorsy image...and might actually NEED some ruggedness to easily access his house in the mountains

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
The S60CC was DOA. How can you sell ghetto without the spinners?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Satchell -but that's not a sedan. For someone coming from an SUV or a wagon who wants a sedan (if there ARE such people), an XC40 would not make the list.

I agree that it's cool, and it might appeal to you (or me) and to wayyyy more people than the S60CC, but it's not the same audience as the S60CC is aimed at, IMO.

"I want a TRUNK, goldangit!!"
-older buyer who is tired of having his SUV/wagon broken into, but who still wants a higher driving position and some outdoorsy image...and might actually NEED some ruggedness to easily access his house in the mountains
Fair enough. I hear what your saying. BUT I still maintain that there isn't really an "audience" for the s60CC so to speak. Rather a scattered, infinitesimal number of folks who might consider it.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts