SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of replacing my original Volvo 6.5 yr. old battery that is still good but the ventilation of it sucks. The vent hose is in place and just doesn't do its job as well as I want it to do. I recently had to do a real good cleanup and repaint the spare tire area because of corrosion. So homework led me to a H8 AGM sold by Pep Boys with a 48 month full replacement warranty for $149.PB has a online promo on it saving you $50.The Battery is made in Mexico by Johnson Controls.
So, who is using a AGM and have you had any issues? A real smart member on here told me he and a friend that both have 07 R's, had AGM's and it caused some gremlin electrical issues. That concerns me.Anybody care to chime in?

·
Registered
322 Posts
My 2005 S60 has a large lead/acid battery located in the trunk, on the drivers side. I have owned the car for three years, and I have left the headlights on and run down the battery several times. This was corrected by using an external charger, with a 6 amp charge rate. Despite this abuse, I see no sign of leakage or corrosion around the battery terminals. So the question is, what is different about your car and my car?

·
Registered
306 Posts
All we use here are Interstate. We use Acid/Lead in most all applications that call for it. The only thing I don't like about the AGM's is that when they fail, they fail. You may be driving down the road and if the battery fails internally, engine shuts off...Had multiple customers tow in for issues like that. They really don't give you any indication that they are getting weak. Just our experience, others may vary.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My 2005 S60 has a large lead/acid battery located in the trunk, on the drivers side. I have owned the car for three years, and I have left the headlights on and run down the battery several times. This was corrected by using an external charger, with a 6 amp charge rate. Despite this abuse, I see no sign of leakage or corrosion around the battery terminals. So the question is, what is different about your car and my car?
Nothing different except mine is a 07. Not any corrosion on the terminals. But the tray and around it got corroded. Vent hose is clear and routed like it's supposed to be. I think it leaked around the vent port and ran down the battery casing. At 6 and 1/2 yrs old and winter coming, I think it is a wise move to replace it.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Nothing different except mine is a 07. Not any corrosion on the terminals. But the tray and around it got corroded. Vent hose is clear and routed like it's supposed to be. I think it leaked around the vent port and ran down the battery casing. At 6 and 1/2 yrs old and winter coming, I think it is a wise move to replace it.
I have an 07' V70 with the original battery. 13 years old + and still strong living in NE.
I keep the area clean and always check for leakage and use a Battery Minder Plus. No corrosion so far. :thumbup:

·
Registered
322 Posts
OK, understood. I will look for corrosion under the battery, when the cold front finally arrives here in Fort Worth, and I can work out in the yard for more than 10 minutes at a time! I wonder if possibly your particular battery was over filled at the factory, and that resulted in a leak at the vent port. Just a guess.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Hey Rick, Johnson Controls are great batteries, they are the parent to Interstate and I think a few other big brands as well. They also make the batteries for AAA to their specs, which is what I currently have and also some of the Volvo branded batteries if not all of them now. Some were made in the past by Exide. My battery is 730CCA rated which I believe is the white body Megatron Interstate equivalent. Based on what Import Service above stated, that alone would make me get a standard lead acid battery over AGM... Also of course make sure your vent is snug on the battery and the tube is free and clear.

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
306 Posts
Let me add to a little to what I mentioned in the earlier post

"All we use here are Interstate. We use Acid/Lead in most all applications that call for it. The only thing I don't like about the AGM's is that when they fail, they fail. You may be driving down the road and if the battery fails internally, engine shuts off...Had multiple customers tow in for issues like that. They really don't give you any indication that they are getting weak. Just our experience, others may vary."

The vehicles that were towed in for battery failures while driving were a handful in the last year. I don't recall the last time we replaced a lead\acid battery due to the same circumstances (charging system working properly, all other systems fine etc..). A good shop checks batteries at service intervals and we usually catch failing batteries. However, the acid/lead more often than not give you some indication they are failing, AGMS dont always do that. AGMS are good batteries and If I got a good deal on one Id run it. The newer vehicles come with them and they help with all the added electronic demands. But for the S60's we drive the lead/acid works just fine and is more often than not cheaper.

Another note on the acid - Some batteries (including interstate) like the H6's have two vents on the top(small holes on the upper lid on the sides). Usually the one is plugged and the other has the vent line. Make sure if you have two vents one is plugged.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the opinions. I have made my decision. Original Volvo Battery it will be. I can drive down to Delaware and get one at the dealer for $140, tax free in Del. Swap it in the parking lot for the core. + While in Del, I can go shopping at Cabella's/Bass Pro and pick up a dozen #1 blue claw crabs and make the 80mile RT a real winner. Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
That sounds like a good plan to me, Rick!! BPS is one of my favorite stores, so that's always a win-win.

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts