SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there something unusual about fitment of aftermarket wheels for the polestar? Usually tirerack has a lot of styles, but there's not much in the OE 20" size. I remember reading that 19's dont always work with the brakes for the polestar making it tricky.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I couldn't find much on TireRack so ended up paying top dollar from the dealer for 19-inch Polestar wheels w winter tires (Pirelli SottoZero). Something about the offset, I think, has to be just right. Others know more than I do.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone get BBS or HRE? Already promised my wife I'm gonna keep this one for a bit, so figure I'll get some rims at some point.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
To answer your original question: yes, there are some unusual constraints around wheel fitments on the P3 platform, and clearing Polestar brakes further reduces the number of choice of wheels that will be viable. First off, 5x108 isn’t a very popular bolt pattern. Next, we have very narrow wheel wells, so there isn’t much room for wheels that are wider than 8” or which deviate much from the weak 55ish mm offset. Most aftermarket wheels have a lower offset and are at least 8.5” wide. And then you have to find a narrow wheel with a big offset that also clears massive brakes. Meeting all of those fitment needs reduces your choices to a small handful of styles, some of which are ugly as sin. Tire Rack doesn’t have a lot of the more stylish aftermarket wheels available, either, and they may not be willing to sell you a more aggressively fitted setup even if it might technically fit your car but with possible risk of rubbing. I’ve seen a few styles of Rotiform and fifteen52 wheels that look good on P3 cars but there are very few people who have used them on P3 cars, so it’s hard to know for certain if they’ll fit over your brakes or if the setup will rub somewhere.

·
Registered
13,505 Posts
Those look sharp, glad to see no rubbing.
Just realize that every set up will be a bit different. Identical sized 245 section width tires from different manufacturers will have different tread widths potentially, causing some to fit fine and others to rub.

There are a few members here who have gotten BBS SR wheels and have been happy with them. I have been eyeing them but haven't taken the plunge yet.

·
Registered
290 Posts
To TexasV60P / others,

I see TexasV60P is using 245/40R19 and they work with the 19X8.5 OZ. However, would the OZ Superturismo-LM 19x8.5 work with the stock 235/40 19 inch tire size without rubbing / fitment issues?

From Polestar Rep (in QA thread): "We recommend the following winter tires for the S/V60 Polestar: Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 235/40 R19 96W XL and Pirelli W 270 Sotto zero S2 235/40 R19 96W XL. These have been tested as thoroughly as we have tested summer tires for the car". End of quote.

·
Registered
13,505 Posts
To TexasV60P / others,

I see TexasV60P is using 245/40R19 and they work with the 19X8.5 OZ. However, would the OZ Superturismo-LM 19x8.5 work with the stock 235/40 19 inch tire size without rubbing / fitment issues?

From Polestar Rep (in QA thread): "We recommend the following winter tires for the S/V60 Polestar: Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 235/40 R19 96W XL and Pirelli W 270 Sotto zero S2 235/40 R19 96W XL. These have been tested as thoroughly as we have tested summer tires for the car". End of quote.
Like I indicated above, it depends on the exact tire you are considering. The particular brand/model tire that TexasV60P used in his application works. If you used the exact same brand/model tire he used but in 235/40 size then it's pretty safe to say it would fit. But if you used a different brand/model tire in 235/40 size it may not fit. Tirerack.com provides all the specs for each brand/model/tire size that they sell so it pays to compare.

I know all this may sound bit crazy but I have the recommended tire size of 235/40 on a 19x8.5 rim with the 45 offset and I get the occasional rub. Turns out I bought a tire with a greater tread width than pretty much any other 235 section width tire. I should have done my research first.

·
Registered
378 Posts

This is what I’m using for wheels and I’m running a 245/35/19 tire with no running at all. I’ll probably run the same size winter tire also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cool to see the flowforms, was interested in the ff15's. if i do keep the car long term like i plan to was just going to swap out the standard wheels when the original tires are shot.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Like I indicated above, it depends on the exact tire you are considering. The particular brand/model tire that TexasV60P used in his application works. If you used the exact same brand/model tire he used but in 235/40 size then it's pretty safe to say it would fit. But if you used a different brand/model tire in 235/40 size it may not fit. Tirerack.com provides all the specs for each brand/model/tire size that they sell so it pays to compare.

I know all this may sound bit crazy but I have the recommended tire size of 235/40 on a 19x8.5 rim with the 45 offset and I get the occasional rub. Turns out I bought a tire with a greater tread width than pretty much any other 235 section width tire. I should have done my research first.
Thanks! Ironically I was planning to qualify my prior post "all other things being equal" (i.e. not withstanding width variations between brands within the same size tire).

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you roll the fenders and or dial in camber you can run wider wheels. I currently run the widest wheel and tire combo under the oem fenders without flares. 19x9.5 +42 offset from Project 6gr. Tires are 265/35/19 and I run -2 degrees of camber in the front and rear currently. These fit perfect over the oem Polestar brakes and the Rotora brakes. In the rear with the Rotora 4 piston caliper I do have to run a small 3mm spacer to clear. If you want more photos or want more details you can message me on instagram @tshirtdriving

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
If you roll the fenders and or dial in camber you can run wider wheels. I currently run the widest wheel and tire combo under the oem fenders without flares. 19x9.5 +42 offset from Project 6gr. Tires are 265/35/19 and I run -2 degrees of camber in the front and rear currently. These fit perfect over the oem Polestar brakes and the Rotora brakes. In the rear with the Rotora 4 piston caliper I do have to run a small 3mm spacer to clear. If you want more photos or want more details you can message me on instagram @tshirtdriving

That’s cool! When you rolled the fenders, did you have to pull them as well to find the necessary clearance? Did you need to trim the fender liners? For whatever reason, there’s a significant amount of flat surface around the outer edge of the liners taking up valuable room for tire clearance just inside the fender edge. I’m assuming rolling the fenders would also serve to lift that flat edge up higher creating additional clearance within the liner, but trimming that outer edge of the liner might also be necessary. Curious if you had to do any fender liner trimming to accommodate all that wheel and tire.

·
Registered
64 Posts
That’s cool! When you rolled the fenders, did you have to pull them as well to find the necessary clearance? Did you need to trim the fender liners? For whatever reason, there’s a significant amount of flat surface around the outer edge of the liners taking up valuable room for tire clearance just inside the fender edge. I’m assuming rolling the fenders would also serve to lift that flat edge up higher creating additional clearance within the liner, but trimming that outer edge of the liner might also be necessary. Curious if you had to do any fender liner trimming to accommodate all that wheel and tire.
When I rolled the fenders they naturally became pulled on their own. I did it myself using heat gun and a rolling device. I did remove the fender liners first. Honestly you can't tell they are pulled but it naturally happens I didn't go out of my way to actually pull them though. For the liners, I did trim them as they have a hard plastic, that didn't want to change shape, attached to the molded felt like material. I was able to run this combo with factory rear camber and had no issues with rubbing at all. When it sits on the ground it honestly doesn't look like it will clear but upon load the rear tire tucks perfect in the fender.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
When I rolled the fenders they naturally became pulled on their own. I did it myself using heat gun and a rolling device. I did remove the fender liners first. Honestly you can't tell they are pulled but it naturally happens I didn't go out of my way to actually pull them though. For the liners, I did trim them as they have a hard plastic, that didn't want to change shape, attached to the molded felt like material. I was able to run this combo with factory rear camber and had no issues with rubbing at all. When it sits on the ground it honestly doesn't look like it will clear but upon load the rear tire tucks perfect in the fender.
That’s great info. Thank you! Nice work making those fit!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts