SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey swedespeeders,

Just wanting to share this to hopefully keep others from dealing with this issue...

About a year ago I replaced my stock Tethys (due to a cracked wheel) with some O.Z. wheels. Everything seemed pretty good initially and an overall reduction in highway vibration was noted. About 10,000 miles later I noticed my rear tires were getting cupped and vibration was very noticeable again. My dampers only had 10,000 miles on them so that was unlikely the cause of the cupping. All the bushings in the rear suspensions looked in tact as well. I couldn't figure out what the problem was so I figured I'd just rotate the tires and see what happens.

I put the fronts on the rears but before I took the car off jacks, I spun the rear wheel by hand and noticed it was wobbling as it spun. Keep in mind this was now with the good tires from the front. At first I thought "could that wheel be bent?" I couldn't find any marks on the wheel indicating an impact. I then decided to put back the wheel and tire that was on the rear for the past year. Before I did that I noticed something strange. I noticed that the inner part of the wheel that touched the rotor surface did not seem to be flush with the rotor all the way around. Then it hit me, when I had the front wheels put on (a few months after the rears) the installer noticed that the wheel was making contact with the little bolt that holds the rotor in place when you remove the calipers. He asked if it was OK to remove the bolt before installing the wheels. I hadn't really put much thought into why the guy that installed the rears had never asked me the same question, until now. So I take the wheel off and see that is exactly what was causing the problem in the rears.

So the moral of the story is, if you are going to install aftermarket wheels, remove the rotor screw or at least verify that it is not touching the wheel!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts