SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Re: Aftermarket Wheel Fitment Template (Sherman)

Well, isn't that just the coolest thing.... If you are ever in town look me up, we will be more than happy to have you as a guest

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (JimLill)

This template idea works pretty well.... I think there are a lot of wheels that might fit. In particular, the 17X7 and 17X7.5 choices for snows.

Fondmetal 6700 did not work!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Re: (JimLill)

Just for reference what is the stock offset on the 17" pegs, on the 18's I know it's 46? Do you remember what the offset is on your enkie's?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (vintagemilano)

ET46 on 17 and 18 Peg
ET38 on the Enkei... but keep in mind those are narrower...

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've seen discussion recently on "ET" which is a term used to describe offset. This thread is still valid and keep in mind spoke profile is part of the equation as is the ill effects on geometry, handling, and bearing loads that screwed offsets can bring.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
I've seen discussion recently on "ET" which is a term used to describe offset. This thread is still valid and keep in mind spoke profile is part of the equation as is the ill effects on geometry, handling, and bearing loads that screwed offsets can bring.
Welcome back sir! Your absence has been noticed by many.

·
Premium Member
8,709 Posts
Thread revive.

I've seen a large number of people talking about wheel fitment and offsets, yet the most important aspect is the wheel spokes and inner lip of the wheels, and if there is enough space to clear the front calipers. So I've digitized, JimLil's diagram into a PDF document, which allows more accurate printing with scalable vector graphics.
Here's a screenshot of the diagram/template: please don't use this, just a picture. Use the PDF!

Here's the Google Document Link for the template
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7R6U8SzHSYQcVJUcWZyTnk0T00/view

Let me know if you have issues. Along with the accuracy of the template, I've basically traced JimLil's diagram and used his dimensions, but it was pretty rough to work with. Hopefully I'm not too far off.

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
8,709 Posts
Updated with usage instructions. I'm contemplating on adding to Usage:

3). If the template touches any part of the candidate wheel other than the mounting plate, then the wheel does not fit.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
does this template put spacers into account? I mean most of us run them. I guess we could just add 5,10 or 15mm to the template

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Updated with usage instructions. I'm contemplating on adding to Usage:

3). If the template touches any part of the candidate wheel other than the mounting plate, then the wheel does not fit.
Alfred,

Nice update to an old (and great) idea!

I'd recommend clarifying "mounting plate" for everyone's benefit.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Nice, PSA!

·
Premium Member
8,709 Posts

·
Registered
3,758 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,709 Posts
Ok. Corrected. Looks like this will be final unless there is accuracy problems based on JimLil's measurements.

Put some thought into this, other than the mounting plate / rear hub placement, perhaps it would require some sort of better alignment ie; lining up to the center bore / center point, or mounting bolt hole / PCD.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I read through this thread thoroughly and tried to avoid asking a question. I don't see anywhere, that is describes how to align the template in the candidate wheel. Does the very bottom of the template align with the very top of the hub hole? If you guys can answer if the S80 Canopus wheel will fit my S60 R, that's what I'm really trying to find out.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
FWIW: I sold my V70R earlier this year, but I'm happy to help here. Devolvr's diagram (post #15) is pretty good, thanks to him for building on my original work. I'll have to study this and my original notes from years ago...... OK, so my template was never intended to answer every wheel firment question, just to help in understanding the issue of caliper clearance. I'm guessing that the Canopus will not fit but you'll need to determine by trying. I am curious why you are interested in that wheel? It will hamper brake cooling.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts