SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well coming from the turbo econobox world Im used to having quite a number of options for the turbos on the cars. A pretty affordable and noticeable upgrade was always buying an aftermarket wastegate that contained a stronger spring to hold boost for a longer amount of time. I've noticed that there is no option for the R. Is it just that the wastegate isn't feasible if the computer is controlling boost? Could you reroute some lines to control boost via the wastegate (i.e. hook it straight up to the turbo)?

Just wondering
Thanks for any info.

·
Super Moderator
14,834 Posts
while a stronger spring wastegate will hold the boost longer, what would you do for the existing internal wastegate? weld it shut?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (phuz)

Well my ignorance shows through regarding the different turbocharger's out on the market
Guess I should ask if there are any resources regarding our turbo's specifically?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Re: (phuz)

Quote, originally posted by phuz »
while a stronger spring wastegate will hold the boost longer, what would you do for the existing internal wastegate? weld it shut?

Just disconnect the vacuum line. Wastegate is already shut at zero boost. The spring holds it closed. Adjusting the rod length between the solenoid and the wastgate will probably accomplish the same thing, but the ECU will compensate to keep max boost levels at stock.

·
Super Moderator
14,834 Posts
Re: (autoduel)

Quote, originally posted by autoduel »

Just disconnect the vacuum line. Wastegate is already shut at zero boost. The spring holds it closed. Adjusting the rod length between the solenoid and the wastgate will probably accomplish the same thing, but the ECU will compensate to keep max boost levels at stock.

yes, but.......
there comes a point where the boost itself will push the wastegate open even without the vacuum line controlling it. believe me, i have been down this road many times in my saab. i have turned the actuator completely tight and used an MBC and there is still a point where it gets pushed open. plus, disconnecting the vacuum line completely just leaves you unable to control your boost at all; ie, boost spikes, overboost, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts