SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen some posts about aftermarket products (specifically the chip and exhaust) but haven't seen anything about the warranty. Do any of the aftermarket products void the warranty? I can't image the exhaust would, but the chip???
thanks,

·
Registered
439 Posts
Two problems with that. First, you'd need to keep a second ECU (that's expensive). Second, the dealer can most likely read the fault codes and know that you were running higher boost.

Still, you may want to check out SEMA's website for more info, but I believe the burden of proof that a mod caused the damage lies with the dealer.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The ECU on the S60 is like a black box. Once the dealer plug in the OBD II to the computer, it will read the highest speed it reached, when did you brake, even the VIN and lots of information...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Warranty vs aftermarket

Rescuing an old post from, like, 2001. What's the new story on this subject. I'm a new T5 owner interested in increasing my cars performance and the warranty issue is very important to me. Bottom line is how much can I do to increase performance and still not disturb warranty concerns.

Exhaust, intake, suspension, ECU? What and how?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: Warranty vs aftermarket (tobinsmith)

Frank Derks from Eurosport in Canada was pretty confidant that replacing the ECU, exhaust enhancements, K&N intake kits etc., would not cause any issue with the factory warranty.

I was told this one time by someone else who was in the legal field, he was positive that you had to prove the modification caused the problem/failure if it ever happened.

Tobin - I'm in Frederick, know the Olney area well. Have you modified anything on your T5 yet?

Sam

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: Warranty vs aftermarket (Bandaid069)

Have the K&N, just haven't installed yet. Whats best ECU with settings: valet, security, stock and hypo?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

My service manager told me today that it would be pretty hard to impossible for a dealer to know that you have a modded ECU installed in your car.
Now, if you also have a pipe and an exhaust, that could be a little telling

JRL

·
Registered
3 Posts

I just installed the K&N intake. I noticed a significant differance in performance and sound... a cool whooshing noise! How squirrely is that? LOL!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts