SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang!

I have a 2002 V70 T5 with the HU-613 somewhat sucky stereo but with the subwoofer so it's not that bad. I think Volvo needs to rethink how they accessorize the V70 T5 as it deserves better.

Anyway, I have been spending the past two months researching aftermarket install options for my wagon and since I already have a full Alpine DVD NAV system with the CVA-1005 radio/motorized monitor, CD Changer, and DVD player that I removed from my 1998 XC when I sold that......it makes sense to attempt to use it instead. Volvo wants a truck load of money for their NAV and I can't take it with me nor is it really reasonable to attempt the install of a DVD player to the built in dash monitor. Also, paying a grand for the Volvo CD changer is highway robbery. I have found a facia adaptor that matches perfectly where the radio and cup holder would be removed along with a wiring harness adaptor to allow the use of my Alpine system, but am wondering if any of my Volvo friends have had some trouble with the install of an aftermarket system on the newer V70's/S80's with this multiplex system?

Any info would be helpful. Pitfalls, problems with Volvo afterwards on warranty issues, etc. would be appreciated. I did look at the Magnusson-Moss Act and my warranty cannot be voided if the install is done by a professional installer that does not damage the existing wiring. Also, if my heated seats or some other function fails and the aftermarket stereo is not to blame, they can't void the repair.

Let me know.....

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
226 Posts
Mike,

I assume that's the Volvo subwoofer? I was under the impression that it could only be had with the 800 series decks.

My 2001 price list has a note beside the option saying

"Requires Dolby Premium sound (4CD). Not available with 3rd seat or grocery bag holder."

I can't see why this would have changed for this year so it may be a typo?

Generally I'm pretty happy with my 613, though I regret to some degree not upping the ante with an 800 and sub.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by coastal:
Mike,

I assume that's the Volvo subwoofer? I was under the impression that it could only be had with the 800 series decks.

My 2001 price list has a note beside the option saying

"Requires Dolby Premium sound (4CD). Not available with 3rd seat or grocery bag holder."

I can't see why this would have changed for this year so it may be a typo?

Generally I'm pretty happy with my 613, though I regret to some degree not upping the ante with an 800 and sub.

That was initially...at some point i the 2001 MY, you could (and still can) order the subwoofer alone, without having to order the upgraded audio system.

Yannis

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the sub installed as well as the amp that comes with the Dolby system. The amp that came with the HU-613, standard for the car, remained as well. I have to say that with the amp and new sub, the rear window and body rattles/rumbles significantly!!! This is not a bad thing but rather a huge upgrade. I'm getting plenty of power from the system and overall it's 100% over what came stock on the car.

I am still interested in upgrading the head unit to my Alpine CVA-1005, leaving the other components, plus adding the Alpine DVD NAV, Alpine DVD player, and Alpine CD Changer. If I can get the head unit in, the rest of the system will plug into the Alpine head. Any info from anyone on the install of an aftermarket head unit?

Thanks again,
Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got a 2001 cross country and am getting close to done with my stereo installation.

Repalacing all speakers, running new wires, replacing head unit, the works.

I would define this car as being 'actively hostile' to someone who wants to replace the stereo. It's not for the faint of heart.

my stereo installation

These directions are not complete, i'm stuck in the water right now due to the temperature outside, with 16 degree wind chill it's simply too cold to do anything outside, my poor wagon needs to be washed so bad.

But everything works so far, i've gotten things in "temporary" configuration. The installation just needs to be cleaned up.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just want Trysha and everyone to know how grateful I am that she posted her helpful electronic bible in progress for her stereo installation in the XC she owns.

I installed my Alpine CVA-1005 along with the cd changer, dvd plaer, and NAV system this weekend and am overwhelmed at how great it turned out. While I am by no means complete in the installation, I am purchasing some materials that will hide all components except the single DIN CVA-1005 in the special fascia adapter I bought online from England. I will be posting some pictures of the install, which was grueling, scary, and entertaining. The install took about 5 hours since I was very clear that I want my vehicle warranty intact, so harnesses were specially built, covered and wrapped for added safety. Nothing was spliced into on the car so Volvo will have a tough time voiding the warranty and the install is very clean indeed.

Thanks to all of you who have helped so far so that many future and even current owners of these new models, will benefit from aftermarket systems.
I am still seeking some information but will be compiling all of this into a narrative so that it is available online along with the pictures.

By for now.....

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts