SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2000 C70 convertible, it has the 11-speaker Dolby-Pro with the rear subs. (incidentally I love the stereo, but I want new options, like inputs and the ability to play mp3 cds)
Hint: I had an issue with the player not playing several of my own CDs and the only thing I could think of was the laser was going out. I tried a CD-cleaner (the disc with little brushes on it) and now it plays them. (I googled the topic and saw others had the same issues, and I thought I'd share that.)

Questions are:
1) How do I find out which amp I have?
2) I understand I require the pre-amp to factory amp wiring harness, but the question it arises to me is this: I assume it (the new stereo) would have no way to individually control the subs/center?
3) It does actually use them, right?
4) If it uses them, can a new HU control their individual levels as the original did?
5) Basically replacing the HU means not using the Dolby processor any more, or is there a way to set it up, or the only way to buy one with it integrated?
6) I've read that to install double-DIN stereos you need to 'cut' the center guide plastic channels. What's the best way to do this?

Hope I haven't asked too many questions at once! Thanks in advance for the help!
-wtyrrel

·
Registered
331 Posts
Questions are:
1) How do I find out which amp I have?
Best way is to physically look at it and determine what's there. It's located in the trunk, on the left hand side.
2) I understand I require the pre-amp to factory amp wiring harness, but the question it arises to me is this: I assume it (the new stereo) would have no way to individually control the subs/center?
Correct.
3) It does actually use them, right?
Subs, yes (assuming you actually have them; my car doesn't).
Center channel, no. The center channel speaker is driven by an amplifier inside the SC-901.
4) If it uses them, can a new HU control their individual levels as the original did?
Generally speaking, no.
5) Basically replacing the HU means not using the Dolby processor any more, or is there a way to set it up, or the only way to buy one with it integrated?
Correct. I am not aware of any way to use the Volvo Dolby processor with an aftermarket head unit.
6) I've read that to install double-DIN stereos you need to 'cut' the center guide plastic channels. What's the best way to do this?
Yes. I installed a single DIN, so I didn't have to deal with this. http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/Mobile_Video_n_Navigation/Mobile_Video/KIV-BT901
However, I would think a Dremel type tool would be your best bet.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
If you have rear subs you actually have 13 speakers. The fronts are 3 way crossed over (dash tweeter, 3" mid and 8" woofer in the doors), the rear are usually 2 way (1" tweeter and 6-1/2" woofer in the side panel), but if the subs are there they're wired to the side panel speakers with a crossover, making the rears 3 way as well. You can't individually control them even with the stock stereo as far as I know.

With the 901 stereo It's almost guaranteed that you have the 4x100W amp, which is an alpine V12 amp and quite good. I always retrofit aftermarket stereo systems in my cars and this is the first time I've left factory speakers and amp in a car, there's just no need to improve them unless you're a serious audiophile or just want it way louder.

If you install a double din you don't always have to 100% remove the guide rails, you can just shave them down till the new stereo fits. Seconding a dremel, it works great for this.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm heavily leaning towards the double-din, just because I hate the look of any of those aftermarket pockets... (Also a touch-screen with nav would be nice.)
Which dremel head would you use? I've tried cutting plastic with it before a couple of heads and it just seems to melt it... (I'm assuming that I'm an idiot.)

Let me see if I have a full understanding of how the center speaker is wired: The dolby processor provides the sound for it to play by taking (presumably pre-amp) signal from the 4 channels and mixing what it thinks should be 'center' and then outputs it to the HU which then amps it to ~20amp and sends the signal to the center speaker. So, in theory, to replace, you'd need to splice into the 4 channels (perhaps only the front 2) and feed them, along with power and ground, to the dolby processor, then take the output for center and amp it on it's way to the center speaker, right? Can the V-12 handle another output? Running a cable all the way back and then front again would be slightly annoying, but it should work in theory if it can amp another thread. Perhaps use a used Volvo 4x40 amp for 1 channel just for it?
Or give up on the center effect and just splice both fronts to it.

Would you want the subs on the main rear channel or on a sub channel with a new HU?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another question: what is the current pre-volt out? ie: on the factory head unit (C-901) is it 2v or 4v?

·
Registered
133 Posts
One problem you might run into is the fact that the Alpine V12 amp that is in your car isn't a regular amp, it doesn't have RCA inputs or RCA out-puts, the signal wires and remote on wire are all combined into a signal cable. So you cant just run RCA's from your new HU to the factory amp

I've been thinking alot about how I want to modify my stereo and I think I am going to switch out the 4inch speakers in the doors with 4ohm quality aftermarket speakers and replace the 6 1/2 in the rear with quality aftermarket speakers as well. I am going to by-pass the factory cross-overs and run the speaker straight from the wires before the cross-overs. In doing so the amp will see 4ohm on each channel. With the factory set-up it sees 4ohm per channel because the subs & speakers are wire parallel and each speaker is 8ohm.
I am going to purchase the amp install kit that connects to the factory amp and provides RCA's and add a sub amp and replace my subs with MQ Quarts 8inch subs.
It is more work to replace all the speakers and add another amp for the subs but that is what I am going to do because currently I dont have the rear subs and I would like to keep the factory HU and install a IPOD hock-up.
Just a thought and thats what I am planning, along with some sound damping in the doors.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
One problem you might run into is the fact that the Alpine V12 amp that is in your car isn't a regular amp, it doesn't have RCA inputs or RCA out-puts, the signal wires and remote on wire are all combined into a signal cable. So you cant just run RCA's from your new HU to the factory amp
Actually, these are absolutely "regular" amps. No voodoo here.
The V-12 line has been around for years in the aftermarket.
It just has a different input connector. Levels are standard.
It's just needs a simple 6 pin DIN to RCA adapter cable.

Or you could go with the much easier method:
Get an input adapter and keep the stock HU.
iPod, or any other audio source ports right in.
USAspec, Blitzsafe, Grom, whatever.

Much simpler and no one steals Volvo stereos.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts