SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to take advantage of Black Friday this year and badly needed a new head unit and speakers for my '02 N/A V70. So, I purchased this Pioneer head unit/speaker combo as crutchfield.com stated they would fit.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pioneer-C...-6.5-Speakers-and-Two-6-x-9-Speakers/46272105

I'm new to Volvos and have never installed a head unit/speakers before so forgive me if these are stupid questions. From the research I've done, this head unit should wire up easily and installation shouldn't be a problem at all, but somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. I already ordered the Single-Din center dash cover as well as the pocket for the bottom half so hopefully all should be ready for installation regarding the head unit.

But my main concern is the speakers. Will these fit? From the research I've done so far, the 6.5" speakers should fit just fine in the front, (I'll be using this guide, post #81 http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?115765-My-next-project-01-V70-T5M/page3) but I just now read that 6x9 is NOT the stock speaker size for the rear doors. Is it still possible to install these speakers anywhere else, or perhaps is there a way to get them to fit somehow in the rear doors? Somebody told me that 6x9 speakers will fit on the rear decklid but I didn't even think that my volvo had speakers back there and I'm unfortunately away from the car at the moment and am unable to check.

If anybody could help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it. Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
The only stock location is the doors, which are 6.5". 6x9s will not fit unless you custom mount them and cut the hole larger yourself. You'd have to do the research to see if there's enough clearance inside as well. Same with the tailgate. Here's some pictures of my install so you can see a little bit what the doors look like under the panels:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...t-01-V70-T5M&p=1304892&viewfull=1#post1304892

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually will be using your posts as my guide to installing them haha, that was the link I put in the original post. Do you recall there possibly being enough clearance for 6x9? I doubt there is and now I'm assuming that I'm just going to have to swap these out for ones that will fit. Thanks!

·
Registered
161 Posts
6.5" Alpine Type E Coaxials fit just fine in my 2003's front doors, though I had to do a little trimming. The depth is the biggest unknown here. Compare the mounting depth on those to that of the Alpine Type E's and you'll be on your way to a greater level of confidence in the install.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I went down to Best Buy and listened to a bunch of speakers for my Odyssey a few mos ago. The Pioneer 6.5s in that bundle were pretty low on the list sonically. I can't tell you for sure, but there may be a chance that the OE speakers actually sound better than those. When I put my HU in, that was all I needed. It really woke up the OE speakers. As for the 6X9s, I can't think of anywhere else to put a pair except in the tailgate, but then if you don't angle them a bit, the highs will be firing right into the seatbacks and you'll miss a lot of sound starting from the upper end of the voice spectrum all the way to tambourines, bells and high-hats etc.
As for the HU, piece 'o cake. Just be SURE to put the car in the lowest gear, then disconnect the battery, or else you run the chance of accidentally unplugging the CCM and getting a persistant little SRS light that can't be reset except via VIDA.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thaxman has a good point. I used to sell and install stereos and the like at Best Buy. I was never impressed with Pioneer speakers. Head-Units, yeah they're just fine and on par with Kenwood and most of the rest. But speakers, always seemed to lack bass and had tinny highs. If you choose to just try the head-unit and the speakers don't sound good enough, try the Alpine Type E speakers. Good silk dome tweeters, not myriad or whatever many speakers use at this price point, and high sensitivity with low wattage requirement, so you can bring the bass out without an external amplifier, and they play louder than most others in the $50 price range.

sensitivity is rated in decibles (DB). It's algorithmic, so going from 80db to 90db doubles the perceived volume. The Alpines were somewhere north of 90db, maybe even 93. The other value speakers were in the high 80s, so if there is a 5db difference between the Pioneers and the Alpines, the alpines will play 150% as loud.

Also, make sure you get your polarities correct when you hook the speakers up. adapter harnesses will ensure this, but cutting and crimping connectors on works just as well, but please keep in mind polarity. If you reverse polarity on the left speaker versus the right, or vice versa, the speakers will be firing 180 degrees opposite one another, and you'll get nearly zero bass and a somewhat low fidelity sound.

Oh, and do you have tweeters in the doors near the handle?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My V70 didn't come with tweeters unfortunately. I will be keeping the stock harness by wiring the speaker wire to the OEM frame. I'll check out those type E's as I'm going to need another pair of 6.5" speakers for the rear doors. Does anybody know of any speakers from prior experience that will fit/drill properly into the rear door frames? These pioneers aren't big enough to fit and it looks like I'm going to have to drill some new holes or glue them onto the frame itself.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
So the speakers arrived and they are smaller than the baffle openings? I bought a pair of Sony 4" for the Odyssey that are boxed up waiting to be shipped off b/c they are really 3.5" speakers shaped like 4", so I understand, but I haven't seen that happen with any 6.5" speakers ever. Weird. I would measure the cutout diameter then shop first by cutout diameter, then after eliminating everything that doesn't fit right, look for the best value in what's left.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts