SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short I previously owned a 03 jaguar x type sport, got side swiped and car ended up being totaled. After a short time looking I've gotten myself into a 2005 volvo s40 t5 awd with the m66 6spd (115k). I have been absolutely enjoying the car, very fun to drive while still being civil.

However I have already been wanting to change up the shift knob on the car. The only video I have seen with removing the knob makes it seem like it has some sort of quarter turn locking mechanism? It was hard to tell honestly.

My concern is not being able to run any sort of aftermarket knob, and being stuck with stock (which of course isn't the end of the world).

Is the knob actually threaded and I'm just misleading myself? Or maybe some sort of adapter exists? I can't see this being the only car to have something like this, or the only person to want to change the knob on their s40.

Thank you in advance, I look forward to spending more time on here as my time with car continues.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
The knob is a twist lock and not threaded. Apparently some folks have installed aftermarket knobs by cutting off the horizontal pins in the shaft and threading the shaft.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Long story short I previously owned a 03 jaguar x type sport, got side swiped and car ended up being totaled. After a short time looking I've gotten myself into a 2005 volvo s40 t5 awd with the m66 6spd (115k). I have been absolutely enjoying the car, very fun to drive while still being civil.

However I have already been wanting to change up the shift knob on the car. The only video I have seen with removing the knob makes it seem like it has some sort of quarter turn locking mechanism? It was hard to tell honestly.

My concern is not being able to run any sort of aftermarket knob, and being stuck with stock (which of course isn't the end of the world).

Is the knob actually threaded and I'm just misleading myself? Or maybe some sort of adapter exists? I can't see this being the only car to have something like this, or the only person to want to change the knob on their s40.

Thank you in advance, I look forward to spending more time on here as my time with car continues.
Quarter turn is correct - Push down from the top and you feel it sink slightly, then a gently quarter turn counter clockwise and it'll lift all the way up when you release pressure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts