SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2006 V70R, Magic Blue
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My first post!

As the title suggests, I am considering aftermarket bucket/sports seats for my 06 V70R, and I was wondering if any of you know what all I will/may have to do the full swap: brackets, wiring, tinkering with VIDA, etc.
Yes the R seats are the comfiest things I've ever sat in, but me being Asian, my butt is about 1/4 the size of an average American and I slide around in the seat every turn I take, so I wanted tighter seats with bigger bolsters. I also have long legs and short arms so the seating position hurts my knees, so when I move the seat back, I can't reach the steering wheel... so I was considering eventually getting an aftermarket steering wheel as well that extends farther as well, which then removes airbags, then I'd need to get a harness, which I would have needed in the first place because the stock seats have airbags - pretty much full front interior mod.
I couldn't find anyone as immature as myself in the 30 minutes or so I searched forums and the web, so am creating a post here now for some advice.
I am currently considering the Braum ELITE-X Seats in tan to look Atacama-poser-ish (I currently have worn Nordkap leather). I think this tier of seat is enough for me as I'm not going to hardcore-track it, just want something more comfortable and stable through corners. So far I think I will end up having to custom fab brackets, unless I can get Braum to create brackets for the P2.

Any advice, references, or recommendations is appreciated! - Thank you

Edit: Spelling, grammar

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I thought about this too but because there's airbags in the seats I decided it's not worth it.

·
Registered
17,856 Posts
Welcome. Not worried about codes and stuff? The machine is likely to get kinda upset without the airbags present...
They look interesting but I'd be more apt to want a different type or harness or something to hold me in if I was you, than to lose the airbags and the comfort.
My first post!

As the title suggests, I am considering aftermarket bucket/sports seats for my 06 V70R, and I was wondering if any of you know what all I will/may have to do the full swap: brackets, wiring, tinkering with VIDA, etc.
Yes the R seats are the comfiest things I've ever sat in, but me being Asian, my butt is about 1/4 the size of an average American and I slide around in the seat every turn I take, so I wanted tighter seats with bigger bolsters. I also have long legs and short arms so the seating position hurts my knees, so when I move the seat back, then I can't reach the steering wheel... so I was considering eventually getting an aftermarket steering as well that extends farther as well, which removes airbags, then I'd need to get a harness - pretty much full front interior mod.
I couldn't find anyone as immature as myself in the 30 minutes or so I searched forums and the web, so am creating a post here now for some advice.
I am currently considering the Braum ELITE-X Seats in tan to look Atacama-poser-ish (I currently have worn Nordkap leather). I think this tier of seat is enough for me as I'm not going to hardcore-track it, just want something more comfortable and stable through corners. So far I think I will end up having to custom fab brackets, unless I can get Braum to create brackets for the P2.

Any advice, references, or recommendations is appreciated! - Thank you

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi and welcome !
I follow you on Instagram, I love your photography talent and your caR !

It may be hard to get airbag-less seats on a VR, especially knowing how sensitive they are with modifications (CHASSIS SETTINGS REQUIRED when you get coilovers, for example).

The best would be to get a bucket seat with universal side airbags. Recaro produces the Sportster CS which I may consider in my future R build. That being said, they’re twice as expensive as your seats, and they’re less comfortable, for sure.

You should get in touch with Recaro to check for airbag fitment (afaik they’re universal but you know, Volvo...) and for the actual installation/fit of the seat.

Be also aware that the seats are part of the SIPS. Expect error codes about airbags and SIPS.

Btw as a European I giggled at your Asian-American butt reference.

·
Registered
2006 V70R, Magic Blue
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi and welcome !
I follow you on Instagram, I love your photography talent and your caR !

It may be hard to get airbag-less seats on a VR, especially knowing how sensitive they are with modifications (CHASSIS SETTINGS REQUIRED when you get coilovers, for example).

The best would be to get a bucket seat with universal side airbags. Recaro produces the Sportster CS which I may consider in my future R build. That being said, they're twice as expensive as your seats, and they're less comfortable, for sure.

You should get in touch with Recaro to check for airbag fitment (afaik they're universal but you know, Volvo...) and for the actual installation/fit of the seat.

Be also aware that the seats are part of the SIPS. Expect error codes about airbags and SIPS.

Btw as a European I giggled at your Asian-American butt reference.
Thank you for the response, and thank you for the compliments!!
I'm aware that messing with airbags would pop up a code, but I was wondering if that was something that could be bypassed and keep functional, for example by using resistors like many other non-Volvos, although highly unlikely since the car freaks out when the cabin air quality sensor goes bad. And those Recaros... DAMB they are FIVE times more expensive than the Braums, and way out of my budget haha, but obviously have superior safety, I would assume.
I think I will research seats with airbags too - I realize now that although a harness could be better in a front/rear end collision, with no airbags, a t-bone could be quite dangerous... but also sliding around in a smooth, leather seat like a skater on an ice rink isn't really going to do much good either.
Either way I think you've given me a good place to research more, thank you!

Some more seat-harness combo recommendations are still appreciated!

·
Registered
696 Posts
No offense intended, but crappy seats are going to be unsafe and uncomfortable. You really should not skimp on seating, as it is a major component of crash protection in any car. If you don't like the price of Recaro seats, then you would be better served going to a good upholstery shop and having them re-contour your stock seats with different foam and possibly re-upholstering the seat cover. Either way, it's not going to be cheap.

I don't understand why you would buy a car that doesn't fit you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
No offense intended, but crappy seats are going to be unsafe and uncomfortable. You really should not skimp on seating, as it is a major component of crash protection in any car. If you don't like the price of Recaro seats, then you would be better served going to a good upholstery shop and having them re-contour your stock seats with different foam and possibly re-upholstering the seat cover. Either way, it's not going to be cheap.

Well I wouldn't reject a car because of its seats, but yeah seating should be taken seriously.

Recaros have to pass stringent safety tests in Europe and they do them since 1990. I'd advise you to either get the 04 seats which have deeper bolsters, as pointed out, or get Recaros, or Sparcos.

I pointed out Recaro because I remember them being mounted in the C30 PCP concept some years ago, and someone actually managed to install them in an S60 P3. They're certainly not cheap, but it's the price to pay for safety and performance at the same time.

Either way, good luck !

·
Registered
2006 V70R, Magic Blue
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I'd be on a tricycle if I onnly chose vehicles that would perfectly fit me in the US, thanks.
And I think modifying the contours may be an option too, like you said.
Looking more into this, I think I will have to wait a bit to increase my budget to get good, safe seats too, unless I decide to make it a full-on track car and regret it financially a few years down the line.

·
Registered
17,856 Posts
Careful - 04 seats I don't believe interface with a 05+ (facelift) P2, but maybe a creative upholsterer could adjust the padding as @cleanerPA says.
I will consider them! I wasn't aware the seats were different until you mentioned. Thank you!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Careful - 04 seats I don't believe interface with a 05+ (facelift) P2, but maybe a creative upholsterer could adjust the padding as @cleanerPA says.
That's right- '04 seats don't work in an '05-07- different connectors.

If you're going aftermarket, at least Recaro, Sabelt, Sparco and a few others have OEM contracts and are properly crash-tested.

For track use, totally different requirements- you'll need a fixed-back seat with holes for sub-belts, holes for shoulder belts and a way to safely mount the harnesses so you don't compress your spine in a collision. Also, depending on the state, track and organizing body, you'll need a roll bar if you're running harnesses. BTW, a V70R would be a pretty poor track car- nose heavy, FWD bias, Haldex can overheat, needs oil cooling and a lot of suspension work.

·
Registered
63 Posts
That's right- '04 seats don't work in an '05-07- different connectors.

If you're going aftermarket, at least Recaro, Sabelt, Sparco and a few others have OEM contracts and are properly crash-tested.

For track use, totally different requirements- you'll need a fixed-back seat with holes for sub-belts, holes for shoulder belts and a way to safely mount the harnesses so you don't compress your spine in a collision. Also, depending on the state, track and organizing body, you'll need a roll bar if you're running harnesses. BTW, a V70R would be a pretty poor track car- nose heavy, FWD bias, Haldex can overheat, needs oil cooling and a lot of suspension work.
The V70R is a decent base to modify actually, the chassis is pretty stiff from what I gathered and the engine has ineffiencies that can be fixed (exhaust and air charging). The Haldex overheat issue can be reduced with an iPD heat shield, but the diff won't last more than 20-25 minutes (just like a Focus RS). It's not that nose heavy btw, I remember reading something like 55/45 as a weight split, which is better than the S4's 60/40, and the FWD bias is contained with the proactive AWD.

However, it's miles off an M3 or an S4, stock-wise (especially the suspension). Changing the suspension and chassis supports (braces and roll bars) will already be way more track-friendly.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Get the super bolster Sport Seat out of xc60 or S60 about 2013 model year, I cannot remember. Take the foam and skins off the new ones and put them on your seat frames. The airbags match up and no wire harness or seat frame mods required.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts