SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Link to Google Poll

I'm curious what brand of intercoolers people are running on their P1 T5s...Cast your vote on the Google form and post in this thread if you have any comments regarding the intercooler (e.g fitment, build quality, price).

Thanks

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Cool idea, looking forward to the results!

I can definitely say the Elevate IC is top notch in quality. The fins dent somewhat easily, I have to straighten about 5-10 of them every few months. But there are a lot of rocks where I live though so that may be why. Install was very easy and it uses the factory IC mount points.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The choice is entirely dependent on how much time and $ you want to spend. By far the best AND CHEAPEST intercooler is going to be custom. However expect to spend LOTS of time cutting fabbing and welding. On the other end, a very high dollar aftermarket intercooler like the Elevate one is going to be a super easy install.

So,
If you know how to weld, fab and do general bad8SS stuff -> custom IC
If you just learned how to use a screw driver -> $$$ + "engineered" option

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
The choice is entirely dependent on how much time and $ you want to spend. By far the best AND CHEAPEST intercooler is going to be custom. However expect to spend LOTS of time cutting fabbing and welding. On the other end, a very high dollar aftermarket intercooler like the Elevate one is going to be a super easy install.

So,
If you know how to weld, fab and do general bad8SS stuff -> custom IC
If you just learned how to use a screw driver -> $$$ + "engineered" option
Not sure I totally agree with that sentiment.. Sometimes there is value is buying something ready to install even if you do know how to fab, weld, and do general work like that, as I do. Time is sometimes worth more than money saved. Generally I would agree though, custom is usually better and cheaper.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Yes, I agree on that point EXCEPT when it comes to aftermarket intercoolers for Volvos. They are way way WAY too expensive!

·
Registered
397 Posts
You can buy a intercooler core and endtanks by Garrett or whoever with basically just welding and making brackets/bung. I would assume it wouldn't be to time consuming but I don't have any welding experience.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Welding aluminum is a pain in the you know what. It takes a long time to get good and you need decent equipment. It is better to just buy a universal core with end tanks already on. Just make sure the core is actually decent regardless of if you choose an engineered option or go custom.

I can tell you that a good large core helps a lot in the 100*F+ days we have here for months on end. Up north, I think the stock IC is good for a good bit more boost as long as you're not doing autoX & lots of low speed boosting. There are plenty of data logs floating around here that show IC air temps vs ambient if you are interested.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
My elevate intercooler was slightly used and still worked great with easy install plus it actually says elevate on the jntercooler so I think that's like +5hp. I got what I paid for for sure but had I not I would've gonna custom.

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a Mishimoto J line intercooler on mine. Took a little bit of fiddling to get it in and right but it was less than half the cost of the Elevate etc.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a Mishimoto J line intercooler on mine. Took a little bit of fiddling to get it in and right but it was less than half the cost of the Elevate etc.
Did you need to do any welding or it was just messing around with the mounting points and hoses? Sounds like a promising option.

I have the ATP from Viva i think. Its the garrett core. fitment is good but it very expensive, cheaper than elevate but still too much. I bought my second hand so it was like $300.
If i had to buy one right now I would try out whatever do88 is selling for P1's. they are pretty cheap. how bad could they be?

http://www.vivaperformance.com/do88-front-mount-intercooler-volvo-c30-c70-s40-v50/
If I don't find a used intercooler fairly soon or a universal that can be installed without extensive modification, I'm going the do88 route. Still expensive relative to the universals but it's a good 30% cheaper than the elevate.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
If you need a stock intercooler to use to mock up a custom one you can borrow mine for measurements.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Here are your dimensions for mock up.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Based on my datalogging, the stock IC is a joke. Really anything will be an improvement....then again, WMI would be an even better alternative.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Yes, the recovery is quite slow but it appears there is decent thermal mass. 20°F temperature rise 3rd gear pull. It's ok I guess at stock boost levels. The same pull with my massive core was only 10°F rise with MUCH faster recovery, nearly instantaneous by comparison.

Stock:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I agree the do88 is probably the best fitting engineered option. The utilization of space is nearly perfect.

do88 installed:

Anything more than this is going to require some metallic reorientation.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you need a stock intercooler to use to mock up a custom one you can borrow mine for measurements.
Thanks for the offer! I'll let you know if I need to do a mockup. I live in Golden so we're prob not too far away.

Awesome posts! That's a beast of an intercooler you have there. I'm not planning on doing anything that intensive but those measurements will be helpful if I go the custom/universal route.

·
Banned
234 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Hi guys.

About that Elevate unit everybody seems so fond of, have a look here if you may:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...est-intercooler-on-the-market-pipes-and-hoses
http://www.c30crew.com/forum/showth...Comparison-do88-vs-Elevate!-Don%B4t-miss-this

Our has better air flow, considerably better heat transfer abilities, and a lower price. Comes with everything necessary for installation, along with instructions.

Give it some thinking.

Regards
Isak, do88.
No c30 crew account to see the links but all I can say for sure is I wish yall had a better name than do88 lol

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Yeah the D088 one looks like it fits really well.. the ATP one is smaller, doesnt fit in there that well and requires removing the air dam, and slightly trimming a small piece of the bumper and to be honest, It doesnt look much bigger than stock...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts