SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched but haven't been able to find an exact answer.

Im looking to replace my SC-816 headunit in my 02 C70 with a Single DIN unit from my previous car. Im hoping to install it with plug and play harnesses so I can easily unplug and go back to stock anytime.

I know there are the 2 main stereo connector adapters. I can wire those to the aftermarket one pretty easily(which interestingly enough the right connector only has a single yellow wire on it)

there are 2 circular connectors in the bottom left. 1 is the antenna and the other is?

on the bottom right is CD and AMP. Is there an adapter I can buy to connect the AMP connections to RCA on the aftermarket deck? Do I do anything with the CD or just leave it unplugged?

On the harness taped back but unused is a smaller green connector which im assuming is the dolby dash speaker which I do not have.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I would suggest forgetting the aftermarket single DIN.
You've got a factory amp in that car. That's why there are
no speaker leads on the second connector. They're at the amp.
It can be done, but it's plug and play to upgrade with OEM Volvo.
And Alpine made some really nice HU's for these cars.

You can drop an SC 900/901 in there and blow the SC-816
into the weeds. And no one will smash your window to steal it... ;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
The wiring from the amp loops back up to behind the radio, so you can unplug them and run a standard harness.

If you do disable the amp, I map be interested in the OEM amp and radio (not sure why mine does not have any audio yet).

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found an old thread in the u.k and it can be done. I much prefer my newer headunit with Bluetooth and usb hook ups.

They make an adapter harness for the 2 main plugs. Still not sure what the black/yellow wire does on the other side.

They also do have an amp to RCA adapter cable so you can keep your stock amp.

The CD is for rear CD changer which I don't have so leave that unplugged.

The 2 small circular connections are for 2 different types of antennas. I guess I just use the standard type and leave the other disconnected.

when I find the locations to get either parts ill post it up here

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Yes it can be done and it's plug and play. The factory amp is a pretty decent 400W Alpine V12 from the late 90's and with an aftermarket stereo it drives the stock speakers pretty good. The stock speakers are Dynaudio and way better than the normal stock speaker so only replace them if they don't work. My C70 is the first car I've ever owned where I didn't feel the need to replace the speakers. All component, with 3 ways in the front. The speaker wiring originates from the amp in the trunk so you'll have to do some heavy wiring if you try to bypass the stock amp.

For the power, you just need the standard metra harness available everywhere. Here's one source: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120709220/Metra-70-9220-Receiver-Wiring-Harness.html And you can disregard the smaller connector since you have a C70 which all have amps.

Here's one source for the DIN harness that converts it to aftermarket RCA inputs: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/ARH-VOL.html

Here's another with the only bad reviews being complaining that it doesn't fit some cars it's listed to fit. http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Interface-Harness-Antenna-Adapter/dp/B00Q3CEE60

I highly recommend the factory volvo DIN pocket over aftermarket universal versions. Volvo part number 9150773. More expensive (around $30 plus shipping) but way better fit and usefulness. Here's a picture:

It might come with flocking or rubber coating, I've ordered it twice under the same part number and it came each way once. Here's a pic of the rubber coated one:

Either way, much nicer than aftermarket.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
GUYS! (especially LD)
He has an 816, NO underseat amp much less the 400 watt amp!
He can buy a REAL decent radio for $150 (or less) that will blow the doors off an 816 with no extra external amp needed.
Remember all the LPT C70s came with an 816 unless a 901 was special ordered

·
Registered
267 Posts
that's what i thought...??!! since i have one and am going to do the same thing... :0

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
GUYS! (especially LD)
He has an 816, NO underseat amp much less the 400 watt amp!
He can buy a REAL decent radio for $150 (or less) that will blow the doors off an 816 with no extra external amp needed.
Remember all the LPT C70s came with an 816 unless a 901 was special ordered
I think you're off base on this one, Jim.
The OP states that he's only got the single Yellow/Black
speed signal lead on the HU's B connector. I'll betcha dollars to donuts
that there's a cable plugged into the AMP port, too - That spells OEM AMP.
On a C70, that probably makes it a 4 x 60w or 4 x 100w in the trunk.

And the Dynaudio was also optional, so he could have either the basic
Premium sound drivers or the Dynaudio set. Either way, ANY stock speaker
setup in a C70 is well worth leaving alone unless they've been abused and
damaged. Again, I'd keep the idea of an SC-900/901 in play. With an import
adapter like a Grom, you can still bring in digital audio through the 6 disc CD
changer input, have killer sound, take advantage of the two antenna diversity
tuner in the OEM HU and keep the system on the DL from thieves.

Just sayin'... :)

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Yeah he implies something was plugged in to the AMP connection.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'd keep the idea of an SC-900/901 in play. With an import
adapter like a Grom, you can still bring in digital audio through the 6 disc CD
changer input, have killer sound, take advantage of the two antenna diversity
tuner in the OEM HU and keep the system on the DL from thieves.
+1 on this. I already had an amp I could use in the trunk, so I replaced my SC-816 with an
SC-901 for the exact same reason. Unless you leave lots of desirable stuff in the cabin
that can be seen through the windows, thieves generally won't give it a second look if
they see an OEM radio in the dash. It's one of the greatest things about driving a car that
should have already had its quinceañera.
And the 901 sounds fantastic, especially when I
use a digital source through the CD changer input. I use a Yatour and it works great, and
sounds even better than CD's. The only real issue is that the 901 will not resume play on
the Yatour on startup or after a key off. You have to re-select the CD-6 source. A minor
annoyance. I still rarely use the tuner or CD sources. It also adds a 1/8" mini plug input
and will play Mp3's through an SD card or a USB stick.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yep I have a C70 HPT which has an AMP and no dolby center speaker(I got lucky on this). Cable was plugged into the AMP connection for sure. From what I read all C70s had the amp? maybe just all HPT C70s had them if not?

I don't see of know why the 900-901 would be better than the 816? The real reason im going to the aftermarket is because of Bluetooth and USB. Other than that both stereos can play music.

Either way Id like to put in an aftermarket deck as I like the one I had in my previous car. Its just basic black shell and through tinted windows you cannot see a difference really. Plus up in Canada we really don't have to worry about thefts in comparison.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The SC-901 sounds markedly better than the 816. It's an Alpine unit with simple to use controls and won't attract any attention. Spend the money on a GROM usb/Bluetooth adapter. Works great.

·
Registered
637 Posts
The SC-901 in my R is a lot more hi-fi than the 816 in my XC (which sounds dark and muddy, comparatively) but that could be a function of the external amp as much as the head unit. Whatever it is, it still sounds pretty darn good for a 15-year-old stock stereo.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I have a (good, working with code) SC 901 if you're interested.
Never seen a C70 HPT with an 816, perhaps in Canada, but in the USA I'm pretty sure a 901 was standard without the center channel (which was always optional).
And yes, a 901 blows the doors off an 816 using the existing speakers and amp.

Since apparently the price of these have gone up, asking $100 (US) plus shipping to Canada

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I think it was a special order option to get the SC816 w/ dynaudio but no pro-logic speaker; atleast with the HPT models.

I am completely content with the sound of the car. Im not a huge sound system person anyways. I just would like the use of Bluetooth and USB for my phone or Ipod.

And since I already have a very good aftermarket deck which is similar quality or better to OEM Id much rather use that then spend money on an adapter(double the price here in Canada) and on a new stereo.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Well then just buy the wiring kits I linked and you're good to go.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's the plan. Also thanks for the part number for the oem din pocket. I was just going to Start searching for that after but that saved alot of time. Just hoping I get the carpet version

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I think it was a special order option to get the SC816 w/ dynaudio but no pro-logic speaker; at least with the HPT models.
Not on your life. You need the bigger amp for the Dynaudio speakers, not efficient and need power.
What is possible is the original 901 failed and was replaced with a cheap, used 816, I've seen that many times.

Why not buy and hook up a GROM unit to your 816 radio that you like. Probably easier and cheaper in the long run.
You then have B/tooth, iPod, iPhone, etc. About $150 bucks and 45 minutes work MAX. No cutting, no hacking, stock looking and removable when you sell it

1 - 20 of 41 Posts