SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my rear door speakers replaced with JBL GX628's, and noticed a tremendous improvement in sound quality (low's, mid's, and highs). I'm now investigating options to improve the sound quality of the front door speakers, and trying to figure out a solution for the 8", 3", and 1" setup that currently exists. I'm thinking of using 8" subs for the doors (possibly shallow-depth), 3.5" inch midranges?, and a 1" dome tweeters. I'm guessing that the subs would have to be powered by a separate mono amp, but I'm hoping that my App Radio 4 HU could power the mid's and tweeters. Any suggestions or pics of aftermarket setups would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'm subbed. Interested. I've sound dampened my car and it would be great to upgrade the speakers, all the audio write ups are too old and outdated here

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm subbed. Interested. I've sound dampened my car and it would be great to upgrade the speakers, all the audio write ups are too old and outdated here

What did you use as sound deadening and where did you apply it?

·
Registered
592 Posts
What did you use as sound deadening and where did you apply it?
Floor and some in spare tire well. Door hopefully within a month maybe. Gotta buy another 35sq ft, that will probably finish the doors and maybe the rest of the trunk. It made an improvement for sure just not extremely noticeable. I'm sure in the doors it will be more noticeable. The trunk too because it's hollow..stuff I used is here. Good stuff overall lots of good rep on them and they are priced right.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If anyone has any solutions, ideas, or experience related to the original post on this thread, it'd be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After further investigation, I've determined that the speakers sound great, I just need to tighten up my passenger front door panel. The door panel was rattling from the low bass (giving the impression of a blown speaker), but sounds just fine if I push into it. If anyone has any specific ideas to firm it up, I'm all ears. I've already added Dynomat to all the doors, but apparently, more of something is needed.

·
Registered
649 Posts
After further investigation, I've determined that the speakers sound great, I just need to tighten up my passenger front door panel. The door panel was rattling from the low bass (giving the impression of a blown speaker), but sounds just fine if I push into it. If anyone has any specific ideas to firm it up, I'm all ears. I've already added Dynomat to all the doors, but apparently, more of something is needed.
Have you tried sampling some audio with the door card off to see if the door frame & skin are quiet on their own(with the dynamat)? If it only resonates with the door card on, then maybe some adhesive backed foam on back of card? Or if that doesn't work, perhaps some spot treatment of spray on sound deadner on back of door card?

If you really want to go topshelf try some Mass Loaded Vinyl with foam already attached.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'd suggest an aftermarket amp under the passenger seat, Dayton DSP should fit under the seat too, sound deaden the doors with mlv, cld tiles, etc. I've also deadened the hell out of the rear shelf and replaced the stock speakers with a pair of subs with their own amp on a previous s60(optional). I'm running a similar setup in my xc70 but with the under cargo floor sub (aftermarket driver and amp) instead of rear shelf subs. DSP makes a world of difference once tuned.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the ideas Caboose and Turbosundance! I'll probably start with the mass loaded vinyl and go from there.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Rattles in the door panel can be hard to track down, but usually you can trace it by touching everything. Once you kill the noise with your finger you can kill it with foam or zip ties or glue.

My last rattle I killed in my R was the switch mechanism not being snapped in tight. I took that panel off like 6 times trying to solve it and then when I finally touched the window switch and the noise stopped I knew where to go.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i'm prepping for a speaker upgrade my self next spring. i'm gonna diy upgrade and start with a good 3 way cross over in each door then later on go active.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts