SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

aftermarket audio

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  dugums 
#1 ·
I am looking to install an aftermarket head unit (Pioneer avic-z1 or Alpine, or ...) but was told by a volvo dealer service tech that when the head unit is removed that certain functions would be at risk of failure, such as abs, air bags etc. I dont know if this is scare tactics or what but i want to get to the bottom of this. Any thoughts out there?

#2 ·
Re: aftermarket audio (campwc)

Im not an expert but I believe that tech doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. Although an error may pop up (I believe some people have had error codes show for the airbag when they've installed their iPod adapter to the stock radio) its easily fixed by the dealer and everything will still be 100% operational. The airbag in the least would not rely on the stock head-unit in any way IMO.

There are several guys on here as well that have completely overhauled their audio system and they run perfectly with no airbag (or other) problems.

#3 ·

Quote, originally posted by campwc »
I am looking to install an aftermarket head unit (Pioneer avic-z1 or Alpine, or ...) but was told by a volvo dealer service tech that when the head unit is removed that certain functions would be at risk of failure, such as abs, air bags etc. I dont know if this is scare tactics or what but i want to get to the bottom of this. Any thoughts out there?

Well, I have to say I am no longer surprised at what comes out of a Volvo Tech's mouth.

#4 ·
Re: aftermarket audio (needsdecaf)

No failures, but you MAY get some lights, especially the SRS light and you will have to go to the dealer for a reset

#6 ·
Re: aftermarket audio (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
No failures, but you MAY get some lights, especially the SRS light and you will have to go to the dealer for a reset

Disconnect the battery and wait 15 minutes before removing the head unit and you can avoid this one

#8 ·
Disconnect the battery before starting the work and do not turn the car back on without the head unit connected. Buy the Accessory electronics module from Volvo. It'll give you a bunch of connections you won't find without it. Speed signal for nav, accessory, etc.

You can also buy a dash installation kit for DIN and 2-DIN heads from Volvo.

Finally, If your dealer's parts department sucks, like mine does, call Trevor at Boston Volvo.

#11 ·

Don't know why all these Volvo shops are so afraid of aftermarket audio... Everything wired up pretty much the same as any other car... You'll lose steering wheel mounted controls... Most of the SRS lights occur because of climate control module being removed without the battery being disconnected. You're always supposed to disconnect battery when doing audio or electrical work on the vehicle Volvo, Honda, Ford, ALWAYS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.