SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As both my rotors and pads seem to be nearing the end of their lifespan, I've begin to consider replacement options. Most of the threads on aftermarket or "performance" brakes I dig up googling seem to be in the R-forum, which makes sense, but got me wondering what people are running on our cars?

Do most folks just stick with OEM Rotors and calipers? Does anyone have experience with the likes of stopTech, R1 concepts etc? I know some have mentioned ceramic pads and I'd be curious to hear about the pluses and minuses of those as well.

I fear that bringing up slotted/drilled rotors will derail this thread into a hopeless discussion about why they are useless or dangerous or both, but if anyone has some on their wagon that they like, I'd be keen to hear about experiences with them as well.

Generally I'm after a firmer more assured response when I press the pedal. Quick, reliable stopping power in all weather conditions is probably most important to me. I sure as hell don't race this thing on or off a track so that's not a consideration.

So basically, let's talk brakes. Calipers and stainless lines are of course fair game too. Pictures encouraged.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
If you want the best brakes at a reasonable price R Brembo swap it... No pedal travel to make things stop. However, it won't work with 16" wheels. I'd just upgrade the rotors and caliper bracket to the bigger one as previously suggested. I use Bosch pads on the XC.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
If you want the best brakes at a reasonable price R Brembo swap it... No pedal travel to make things stop. However, it won't work with 16" wheels. I'd just upgrade the rotors and caliper bracket to the bigger one as previously suggested. I use Bosch pads on the XC.
XC90 brakes can be put on other P2 cars, and don't require you to get Pegs or specific afermarket wheels that arch out around the calipers.
If you want to stay with what you already got rollin, most say Akebono. As for myself, I went Centric Posi-Quiet ceramics. We have a 5500' decent in 18 mi over here and I have never had a problem with brake fade. I ALSO spent a lot of time rotor shopping. The Clifs notes are that all aftermarket rotors are going to be cast and ground in China using Chinese steel. I finally settled on some special poly-alloy mixed rotor sold by Centric that supposedly has better durability due to the alloys. I figured that would hopefully override the fact that the steel is still lower-quality 3rd-world crap created by a mill in a country that sees no harm in killing off its own people and others in the name of profit. I could dig up the rotor, but its buried in some e-receipt in some email from almost 2 years ago, so I would prefer to do so only if real interest exists.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Iv got the same question, i see IPD has a weekend sale for the bosch quietcast set, 129 for front rotors and pads.
Good way to go?

·
Registered
548 Posts
I, too was eyeing the IPD sale as the rears on my my recently acquired 04 XC are throwing out far too much dust relative to the fronts. I am assuming that the P2's are rear dominant brakes as the P1's and as such am expecting a little more but this is not acceptable, so looking to swap pads and rotors when I do the sway bar + shocks swap. Not looking for R-spec upgrade, but a quiet, dust-friendly, no fade option would be welcomed for both rotors and pads. Insights are welcomed .

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yea. Did you find rears? I only saw front rotors.

Anyone have any opinions on the bosch rotors and pads?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I installed the Bosch quietcast brakes after IPD's last sale. They work great, pretty much comparable to OEM. Not much more to say.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is almost identical to the setup I was eyeing on R1 Concepts' site. Different brand of rotors but the exact same chinese blanks from what I've read. I'll probably make a move in the next month or so. Major pedal travel to slow down and even worse to stop. Definitely time.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
I installed the Bosch quietcast brakes after IPD's last sale. They work great, pretty much comparable to OEM. Not much more to say.
Yep. Every XC we have ever had gets Bosch Quietcast. Works great.

·
Registered
428 Posts
My .02 would be the R brakes. Super easy install and they'll stop your car well beyond the capacity of your tires, with the right pads.
Just ask me how much I love mine;)

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But you can't run those with 16s right?

·
Registered
428 Posts
But you can't run those with 16s right?
Yeah, forgot you just replaced your tires and everything, Derp=P
I remember seeing a thread on swapping the larger XC90 brakes. Might be something you could look into. Though they are pretty heavy..

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
R brakes require 17" Pegs, or 17" wheels +spacers to clear the calipers.

FYI: IPD sells a lovely caliper clearance tool to check wheels before fitting them
Yeah, forgot you just replaced your tires and everything, Derp=P
I remember seeing a thread on swapping the larger XC90 brakes. Might be something you could look into. Though they are pretty heavy..
Wonder if these new gravel style 16s I got coming plus spacers will clear. I know sometimes the design of some rally-style rims allows them to clear larger brakes at smaller sizes than would otherwise fit on a wheel of the same diameter. (Thinking method race 15s on subarus for example). I'll have to look into that little tool you describe Antherzoll.

Edit: NVM the r conversion is like 3500 dollars anyway (?!) unless im missing something. Impossible for me rn even if they did fit.

·
Registered
428 Posts
3500 isn't even close.
Did mine for pretty cheap.
-Slotted Brembo Rotors $500
-EBC brake pads $200
-Stainless lines $120
-Brembo Calipers $650

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Google lying then I guess. Good to know

·
Registered
161 Posts
I pulled the rotors and brakets from a T5 and put them on my na. Fits 16" steel wheels too. Never tried aluminum 16". I think I went from 280mm to 302mm. I like to think it was noticeable.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Volvo charges 300 for front R pads and rotors and 300 for rear R pads and rotors. R calipers and brackets are like 600. Your turning radius will suffer as you need 17" wheels (pegs are the easiest) with a pretty decent offset. So add 500 for pegs and 600 for tires and you have the total cost.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 20 Posts