SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Aft Wheel Bearings going out or the tires making the noice?

1K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Colorado XC90 T6 
#1 ·
Aft Wheel Bearings going out or the tires making the noise?

I now have 8900 miles on the XC90 V8. Over that past few days my wife noticed a noise which changes pitch depending on the vehicle speed. This noise is originating from the aft portion of the vehicle. I am unclear as to if the wheel bearings are having issues or the tires are starting to "whine" The tires appear to be in good shape. I tried to search for past postings concerning wheel bearings going out, but the search engine seems to be on the blink.

Can anyone help with respect to either past posts or advise.

Bottom line is a call to the dealership....

Thanks in advance... http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by volvogeek1 at 8:52 AM 4-9-2006

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: Aft Wheel Bearings going out or the tires making the noice? (volvogeek1)

If the whine is continuous when the car is on the move and varies with speed, that would point to bearings. May be they didn't pack them well at the factory? Let your dealer take a look.

#5 ·
have your dealer look at them, have them lift the car and see if it still makes the noise. If you hear the noise with the tires of the ground, its probably the bearings, but if its only at speeds, then its most likely the tires. Our Michelines make the noise between 68mph and 86mph.

Good luck

#6 ·
Re: (VegasXC)

Well Folks...We took the XC90 in and sure enough...Bad wheel bearing(s). This is the intial diagnosis from the dealer..they are keeping the car overnight.

Of course we got a loaner..and an apology for the inconvenience

I will follow-up with the exact details as soon as I can.

Once again, Volvo of Dayton continues to provide incredible customer service. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by volvogeek1 at 8:50 AM 4-9-2006

#9 ·
Re: (volvogeek1)

My Volvo XC90V8 has been doing the same thing. I thought maybe it had something to do with the tire rotation I did about 7,000 miles back so I rotated tires back to original position and still had same problem. I also checked tire pressure and gave the tires and inspection and everything seemed OK. Currently have 16,000 miles on vehicle.

Guess it's time to schedule a service appt.

#11 ·
Re: (dmd)

You're right..I tried to do a historical search of the xc90 database, but the search engine is on the blink..

The dealership turned the wheel bearing hub into Volvo. I am going to request the dealership provide me feedback as to what Volvo is finding... http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by volvogeek1 at 6:59 PM 4-8-2006

#12 ·
Re: (volvogeek1)

I can't believe the wheel bearing issue is still present on a 2005 model...too bad Volvo can't get their techs to resolve that on builds for MY2005...wonder if MY2006 owners are experiencing this issue?

Great car, have test driven a few times and plan on purchasing a MY2007 V8...just wish it had the reliability that Japanese makes are known for. I know the engine is Yamaha and the tranny Aisin so feel good about that but still it seems that I'll be visiting our Volvo dealer once we get one more than I've had to with Japanese makes I've owned over 20 years...

#13 ·
Re: (volvolocity9)

Quote, originally posted by volvolocity9 »
I can't believe the wheel bearing issue is still present on a 2005 model...too bad Volvo can't get their techs to resolve that on builds for MY2005...wonder if MY2006 owners are experiencing this issue?

The V8 is a 2006 isnt it?

#18 ·
Re: DMD, good point! (volvogeek1)

Good luck with Volvo..
They are not the the "Stepping up" types. I am stunned to hear that this is still hapening after 3 yrs...But they clearly like to wait until the customer complains before they respond.

My steering rack had felt THE SAME since I bought the car, and I have had 2 alignments. BUT all of the sudden, I have dangerous amounts of "play" in the sterring wheel as per Volvo and my steering rack is replaced with an improved design...

Hmmm, like the dealer did not notice the way my wheel felt before???? They just wait for the actual complaint, like the boost control valves, bad alignments, suspension clicks and pops....

Sorry just a rant, I assume that this too will be another trip to the dealer for me at some point...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.