SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, the radio blows in our new 245 and I am looking at alternatives for the car. I've been out of car stereo for some time, but here are some thoughts/questions I had.

First, since the 240 has no alarm (yet), I don't want to make the car look like it has an obvious system in it. I don't want anything crazy, but I do want decent sound out of it comparable to today's cars.

I was thinking either a removable in dash CD player, a removable MP3 player, or perhaps one of those CD players that goes into your stock head unit through a radio frequency, adn just upgrading the speakers and adding an amp to beef it up but keep it looking stock.

What do you guys suggest? Any tricks to doing a 245 system that you might know of? The car is going to debut as a project car in a couple of weeks, but I'm trying to begin doing some research now that it is getting closer.

·
Registered
408 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by [email protected]:
First, since the 240 has no alarm (yet), I don't want to make the car look like it has an obvious system in it. I don't want anything crazy, but I do want decent sound out of it comparable to today's cars.
Do you have comperhenive insurance? I would get that instead of an alarm and keep all your recepits from the upgrades. My insurance company will get you todays version of what you got even if it is more expensive than what you paid. Besides if someone wants your stuff they will get it alarm or no alarm.
quote:

Originally posted by [email protected]:
I was thinking either a removable in dash CD player, a removable MP3 player, or perhaps one of those CD players that goes into your stock head unit through a radio frequency, adn just upgrading the speakers and adding an amp to beef it up but keep it looking stock.
Get a CD player in the dash. Changers in the trunk are no good because they only hold 6 CDs which is never the one you want to listen to. MP3 are compressed so small all the quality is gone. Get a good headunit and wire the current speakers up to that. The Volvo speakers aren't that bad, thier just underpowered. Once you power it with the new headunit, its not super great but alot better than stock. Then later buy good speakers behind the stock grills and amps that you can hide under the seat or floor of the trunk.

People are bised about what they like so I'm not going to recomend brands but I will tell you that you get what you pay for so look for expensive stuff.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I'm happy with my in dash Pioneer CD player. I kind of doubt that a 240 draws any attention from thieves, but I guess you never know. The bottom location will provide a little more security, and then you can add a total of 5 gauges in the dash. I've been told that the shifter won't get in the way of a low-mounted CD player.

You may need to do some extra wiring to bypass the stock amp, if there is one (it would be located on the firewall, inside, on the passengers side behind the kick panel). I've never heard the stock Volvo speakers, but you should be able to put 5.25" speakers in the front doors if you do want to replace them. I'm not sure what the wagon has in the way of rear speakers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts