SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Aero out performs a R (roberts2036)

Well, interesting you mentioned this.
I have an 2001 Aero (I would guess it's the same car as a 2000) for sale and I have to tell you it's not slow.
It's an automatic but I would surmise that the 5 speed would KILL a 2000 R.
Just spent a week in a stroing one so it's very fresh in my mind. Maybe Thursday I'll give the Saab a strong full throttle run to 100. It weighs FAR less than a V70 R, the suspension ain't bad. It's a throughly enjoyable, surprisingly well balanced front driver.
It also has a REAR suspension to die for, very BMW like. I drive over our potholed, concrete heaved roads here and it takes them without the slightest bump or thump. (It has 45 series tires, like the R) Forget about rear hop, it doesn't exist on the Saab

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Aero out performs a R (Johann)

Quote, originally posted by Johann »
2000 R isn't really a fast car. And it's heavy.

9-3 or 9-5 Aero?
I would guess 9.5, most are, mine is..

·
Registered
214 Posts
Re: Aero out performs a R (JRL)

I think my buddy's '93 Saab 900 S 5-speed would give most mid 90's R's a run for their money. I know, I know perhaps this is apples and oranges, but I think Saab builds (built... before the GM hiccup) some solid cars.

edit: Didn't see it was an Aero. If it's an Aero, forget it.

·
Registered
94 Posts

My .02 worth. I had a 2001 Viggen (9-3) cnvt manual and remember being told it had very close to the same Aero powerplant. It was much faster than my 2000 V70R (perhaps a second or more faster to 60 mph according to reviews). Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

·
Registered
860 Posts

JRL, very interesting comments about Saab from you. When I bought your 99 T5 you said you didn't hold them in high regard. My 2000 SE convertible is a good performer and comes with a factory strut tower brace. Volvos and Saabs have very different personalities and I enjoy both.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Aero out performs a R (volvdog)

Quote, originally posted by volvdog »
JRL, very interesting comments about Saab from you. When I bought your 99 T5 you said you didn't hold them in high regard. My 2000 SE convertible is a good performer and comes with a factory strut tower brace. Volvos and Saabs have very different personalities and I enjoy both.
Don't recall any Sabb conversation.
However,
I was just saying that the Saab I have (for sale) is quick and much faster than a (stock) V70R, that's all

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (BoxLover)

Quote, originally posted by BoxLover »
Saabs are GM crap, swedish leftovers....
Continuing your theory then Volvos would be FORD CRAP!
So, why are you here? Real ignorant statement and besides, the Aero was designed and built way before GM took over Saab

·
Registered
787 Posts

Rodent Track:

V70R (AT) (1/99) 0-60 7.0, 1/4 [email protected] 92mph, slalom 59.8mph

Saab 9-5 Aero (MT) (7/02) 0-60 6.7, 1/4 15.2 @ 94.4mph, slalom 63.3mph

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Aero out performs a R (bill d cat)

Bottom line here is that I've owned 4 V70R's in the past 6 months (still have one) and currently own an Aero.(for sale)
Have spent a few days in each.
Saab is MUCH quicker, light on its feet and much easier to drive fast

·
Premium Member
5,856 Posts

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
Bottom line here is that I've owned 4 V70R's in the past 6 months (still have one) and currently own an Aero.(for sale)
Have spent a few days in each.
Saab is MUCH quicker, light on its feet and much easier to drive fast
Totally agree. Saabs are pretty quick cars. However, Saabs have ALWAYS been a conglomerate of parts from other makes.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Aero out performs a R (gdogg16)

I dunno.
Who else has the ignition key in the FLOOR?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have had TWO Saabs, and they sucked! Extremely unreliable!! No quality whatsoever!

I couldnt care less about slalom times and quickness, I drive a VOLVO because of the RIDE, the CLASS and the KICK ASS LOOKS that only a VOLVO has. There are no slalom cones on my way to work...nor any 1/4 mile tracks. So track results although interesting, dont mean much to me when purchasing a car.

Saabs have always been ugly, on the inside AND the outside.
Volvo is owned by Ford, just like Mazda and Jaguar, but how much of Ford is in a Volvo, Mazda or a Jag..?
I know that Volvo technology is passed down to Ford but not the other way around.

I have the right and inclination, like everyone else here, to post an opinion JRL so leave me alone would ya?! Last time I checked this was a forum for Volvo enthusiasts so thats why Im here JRL.

Bottom line: Saab cant hold a candle to VOLVO...

Modified by BoxLover at 9:22 PM 4-24-2006

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

You are totally entitled to your opinion and I would agree, for the most part the are goofy, ugly autos.
The question here was: Is an Aero faster than a V70R and the answer is yes.
Would I PERSONALLY own one over a Volvo, of course not.
(However, this Aero I have just happens to be an excellent car. The black wheels, the black paint, it just works.)

·
Registered
787 Posts

Quote, originally posted by BoxLover »
I have had TWO Saabs, and they sucked! Extremely unreliable!! No quality whatsoever!

I had TWO "Classic" Saabs -- one made it to just under 300,000 miles (2 more owners, same mechanic) before we lost sight of it... the other came from that Malmo plant that GM shut down first thing. Saab #1 was great, Saab #2 -- same body style, same color -- was not awfully reliable.

After THAT one I bought the Volvo. Not that it's been all that much better than #2. Kinda in-between Saab #1 and Saab #2.

One of the cooler things about the "Classic" Saab was that you could replace the clutch with both the engine and transmission still in place in the car.

Anyway back to the original subject -- I'm not sure that that the difference is that Saabs are so fast as that AWD and an automatic transmission add enough weight and frictional and fluid losses that they slow down the Volvo V70R quite a bit:

R&T 2/99:

S70T5 5-speed 3425 lb, 236hp, 243lb-ft 0-60 6.1 1/4 [email protected]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts