SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been suspecting that my AEM water/meth injection (WMI) kit hasn't been working quite right, so I decided to check it over and add a flow sensor for some peace of mind.

Stuff I used:
AEM Flow monitor

I placed the flow sensor is inline after my filter and before my check valve. I ran the sensor cable through the fender (be sure to use a grommet) and up through the driver's A-pillar into the cabin.

A Scosche double-din install kit I got from Amazon. Here's a pic with a test fit of the gauge:

I used a 2" hole saw to make the opening for the gauge, used the sanding attachment on the Dremel to get it to the 52mm diameter I needed to get the gauge in. Then I used the Dremel to cut the piece I needed off the faceplate. As it is right now, this piece "press fits" into the opening where the cubby used to be. The plastic cubby surround itself had to come out, as the gauge is a little too big to fit in there without that extra room. The gauge has a USB connection that works in conjunction with the AEM software you download from their user forum. The cable would typically be run to the glove-box or center console, but I decided to put a connector on it that screws into the faceplate piece - I just keep a USB-A/USB-A cable to plug into the gauge and laptop when I need it.

Gauge color is customizable, here's a pic in red:

I set the gauge up through the software for the max flow of 500cc and placed the appropriate faceplate on the gauge. It also comes with black and silver bezels:

During the install I found some loose hose connections and replaced one of the quick connectors on the pump which was leaking. You basically use the software to adjust upper and lower limits for the flow curve. If you spray too much a "high" error light comes on, too low and the "low" error light comes on. If any flow data points fall outside the limits you set you get an error light and flashing needle/gauge to alert you. Here's a pic checking my flow curve with the injector nozzle removed and spraying into an empty jug by pressing the "test" button several times on the WMI controller:

You then refine the limits by monitoring the flow data under actual driving conditions, on/off throttle, different gears etc., once you have some usable data you can adjust your limits accordingly. Do I really need this setup? No, but it's nice to know that a hose hasn't disconnected or that a tube has worked its way out of a fitting. Besides, it's cool and I'm entertained by it :p .

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wiring is pretty straightforward, flow sensor just plugs in the back, the other wire bundles connect to 12v, 12v ignition, ground, controller (orange in my case for injector duty cycle), green (boost safe on the AEM controller, not needed really), and dimmer (not using, I just set the intensity of the gauge LED with the software so it looks good at night). There are other wires that would be used if I had some kind of failsafe device to trigger, also not needed. Once the connections are made the wire bundles have quick connects to plug into the back of the gauge.

·
Registered
727 Posts
are you tuned for water meth? I am wondering because i was looking at getting this failsafe if i decided to tune for water meth

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually asked IPD about getting a more aggressive tune and they said they could make one for me, but didn't seem to think that the gains would be that dramatic. The caR is running strong and pulling hard, especially now the kit is working as it should. Not quite sure if I'll pursue another tune or not.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
just because i was debating this in a different thread, you guys that have a water/meth spray installed, did you just install the spray and run it with the tune you already had, or you installed the spray and then got a tune specifically for it?

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
So what was the verdict? Was something not acting right? I read it, kinda skimmed through it cause im at work :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
just because i was debating this in a different thread, you guys that have a water/meth spray installed, did you just install the spray and run it with the tune you already had, or you installed the spray and then got a tune specifically for it?
Installed it with the tune I already had. My main intent was to protect against detonation via in cylinder cooling, plus to prepare for the viva hybrid turbo upgrade that I am still deciding on. The relativily small performance gain was just a bonus for me.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Same tune for now. I feel a more substantial increase in performance with the kit running, I'm sure it would be more with a proper tune though.

So what was the verdict? Was something not acting right? I read it, kinda skimmed through it cause i'm at work :D
Verdict was I had some loose/bad connections.

Very nicely done, love the software's ability to tweak the injection rates, I am sure it is far superior to my butt dyno method
Just to be clear, the only rate change it makes is whether your gauge will display 0-1000 or 0-500 depending on your application.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Yep, its like adding octane to the fuel, ie. it lowers the detonation point thereby allowing the ECU to advance timing to up the performance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.