SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all-

Once again baring my ignorance here. :) Thank you in advance for input. '05 S40 T5 Manual w/ 61K on it.

Yesterday had tires fitted and a four wheel alignment. No issues there. However, when I got home from the garage and shut it down I swear I could feel the engine shudder at the very end of cut off. Thought "great" and couldn't help but wonder if one of the techs, on test drive, wailed on it causing a weak one to give way (no offense to the good techs out there!) Maybe it was just it's time and coincidence timing. Anyway...

Today I parked and sure enough saw some kind of fluid on the ground (inward of and behind drivers side front wheel.) Looked up and there's a pretty massive circular mount there, oozing fluid. At first I assumed lower engine mount, but maybe some kind of horizontal sub-frame mount. Can someone tell me exactly what it is? I'd like to know more before going back to the shop. Also, would this area have been wrenched for an alignment? Lastly is it a costly issue and can I drive it gently for a few days?

Pic is w/ flash, obviously, and I held the camera pretty close. I was behind the driver's side front wheel reaching in.

Huge thanks gang.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks fella. Any idea what parts and labor on a job like that run? Is this part wrenched during an alignment? Ok to drive it a few days w/out hurting anything? It'll be into next week when I can leave it at the shop. Thanks again-

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm also interested in hearing if this rearmost CA bushing can be replaced, or if this requires a whole control arm replacement. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Does the old bushing need to be pressed out and the new one pressed in (as in a hydraulic press) or can this be done w/ the CA still on the car?
you have to take out CA, cut the old bushing and press in the new one.

·
Registered
42 Posts
you have to take out CA, cut the old bushing and press in the new one.
Mr Kova,
interested to know How you cut this bush?, DIY or mechanic?

its your control arm bushing, they are filled with liquid.
Mr shadowlord,
it's really filled with liquid? I never seen mines, but the rubber inside seem damaged badly causing vibration during accelerate and hard braking....

·
Registered
484 Posts
Mr Kova,

Mr shadowlord,
it's really filled with liquid? I never seen mines, but the rubber inside seem damaged badly causing vibration during accelerate and hard braking....
you know iv never witnessed liquid come out of it, but from what i read on this forum in past few years, they are filled with liquid

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, it's filled with liquid- see my pic above, oozing out all around, enough to drip on the ground. An oily feeling liquid- I read someplace that it's hydraulic fluid (or something very similar to...)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes, it's filled with liquid- see my pic above, oozing out all around, enough to drip on the ground. An oily feeling liquid- I read someplace that it's hydraulic fluid (or something very similar to...)
ohw!! maybe my case the fluid has been washed away and the vibration feel critical rite now

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Mr Kova,
Kind of in between - mechanic is my friend so I was giving him a hand. :D

You can do it yourself with the hand saw for metal. It takes some time but it's pretty straight forward job. The trickiest part is to press the new bushing in - you can use that tool sitting on the table to hold things tight with 2 jaws and another round tool to wrap the bushing around so it doesn't expand while you are pressing it in. That round tool is used to remove certain types of oil filters on some cars.

I hope you got the idea from my "description".. :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Kind of in between - mechanic is my friend so I was giving him a hand. :D

You can do it yourself with the hand saw for metal. It takes some time but it's pretty straight forward job. The trickiest part is to press the new bushing in - you can use that tool sitting on the table to hold things tight with 2 jaws and another round tool to wrap the bushing around so it doesn't expand while you are pressing it in. That round tool is used to remove certain types of oil filters on some cars.

I hope you got the idea from my "description".. :D
Yes, it much help!! :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes your wishbone bush is ruined but replacing just that wont cure the engine shutdown judder. That is another problem
Yes, thanks, I knew that upon learning what this bushing is. One issue at a time I suppose. My concern is that at around 60K is when these cars start to nickel and dime you to death (or, more realistically, Jackson and Franklin you to death. :) )

·
Registered
484 Posts
your engine shutdown judder is probably due to your engine and or transmission mount

1 - 19 of 19 Posts