SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1999 C70 2.3HPT
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slowly gathering parts for my auto to manual swap and have been coming across a lot of forums some say flash the ecu others don't mention it what so ever.

Donor car is a 1998 V70 and the car receiving the swap is a 1999 C70.

I was pretty pumped about doing this swap until I heard that I would have to flash my ecu, problem with that for me is I don't own vida dice and the closest Volvo dealer is in Boise or Seattle which are both 5+ hours away for me.

The forum I was going to use for the swap is

Any advise and information is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
273 Posts
Do it. Flash is needed to get CEL off and pass emissions test if it is required in your state. I can lend you mine for the deposit and shipping cost, but I would advise to get your own. I think they are around $100. You will need a DiCE Unit Flash Cable and $150 flash Volvo Vehicle Manual Conversion

·
Registered
16,851 Posts
98 and older swap ECU
99 and newer need ECU reflashed.

Now you can leave the PNP Switch attached to your harness and put the car in Neutral and the car will run and drive without any issues. I did that 12 years ago on my 01 V70XC I did m56 swap on.
But if you plan on upgrading anything at all, turbo injectors or such a flash is a must.

Also if you have emission inspections like we do in PA and cant have CEL on you need a reflash.

If you have any other questions shoot me a DM, Ive done 20+ manual swaps over the years ... From 850 to 98-00 and 01+ to 06

·
Registered
1999 C70 2.3HPT
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So in Washington state we don't have emissions, I'd like to buy a laptop with vida on it and a dice unit, I guess my question is, if I put the manual in the car should run fine without flashing the ecu I will just have a check engine light on?

Just need to do the swap to get the car running flash can come later if I can skate by without it.

·
Registered
16,851 Posts
Yes that would be correct. Keep the PNP switch from the transmission and put that in Neutral and you will be fine to drive.

·
Registered
1999 C70 2.3HPT
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes that would be correct. Keep the PNP switch from the transmission and put that in Neutral and you will be fine to drive.
Thanks man I appreciate it still scrounging for parts lol can't justify spending 600 on a trans from eBay and still need to get the cables and pedal assembly and swap the internals and fill the trans lol
Idk might just break down and buy one...

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
You’ll need to reflash the ECU for the manual trans, but it WILL drive without doing so. You’ll just have the 4K RPM park rev limiter, and the CEL of course.
As far as the PNP switch, you can get rid of that and jump the wires as shown in this thread: 95 850 M56 manual transmission Swap Write Up

Then you’ll need to do the CAN bus wiring... I’ll have to dig up that link, but it’s super easy. Just have to jump four wires under the TCM connector.

·
Registered
16,851 Posts
Thanks man I appreciate it still scrounging for parts lol can't justify spending 600 on a trans from eBay and still need to get the cables and pedal assembly and swap the internals and fill the trans lol
Idk might just break down and buy one...
Pedals and cables and such should run $150 ish.
Tranny $300 range. $600 is nuts for an m56 especilly if its doesnt have low miles.

·
Registered
1999 C70 2.3HPT
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pedals and cables and such should run $150 ish.
Tranny $300 range. $600 is nuts for an m56 especilly if its doesnt have low miles.
I totally agree I'm just hunting the junkyard here, yea most of the m56 tranny's I come across are just the tranny for 500-600 😂
Going to improve my suspension while I'm searching, getting some bc racing coilovers, have new Sachs struts and shocks but I feel like I'm on a wooden rollercoaster, just too stiff for the pothole filled streets of Spokane

·
Registered
16,530 Posts
No

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I thought the M56 was compatible. Obviously everything else is different... shifter, pedals, clutch line, etc.

·
Registered
16,530 Posts
I thought the M56 was compatible. Obviously everything else is different... shifter, pedals, clutch line, etc.
Cruise won’t work because the ratios are different. P2 M56 will work as a trans.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Cruise won’t work because the ratios are different. P2 M56 will work as a trans.
Interesting....
On a related topic, it's funny the amount of issues people have with cruise after a manual swap. I don't even like cruise control, but after putting a clutch sensor in my car it works perfectly.

·
Registered
16,530 Posts
Interesting....
On a related topic, it's funny the amount of issues people have with cruise after a manual swap. I don't even like cruise control, but after putting a clutch sensor in my car it works perfectly.
Gear ratios, incomplete conversions, ect

Reactions: bmdubya1198

·
Registered
1999 C70 2.3HPT
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To me it was so weird seeing a manual with cruise control, most of my cars have been manual without cruise, seems like a strange concept to me lol I still have yet to use cruise control in a manual car

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Gear ratios, incomplete conversions, ect
Now as far as the gear ratios... seems like a dumb question, but how does ME7 determine that? I’ve always wondered. Especially the relation to cruise, and causing that to not function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts