SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , looking for a bit of technical advise please. I've had a 2003 v70r geartronic since it was around a year old. Love the car and is part of the family.

However it now looks as though it will be a write off as it was driven through flood water and has developed electrical issues. The flood water was around 15 inches deep max and did not enter the car.

The car ran fine initially after the incident with only a loud crackling sound from the rear audio speakers and an abs brake warning light. After a while over the course of a few days an anti skid message appeared on the dash and other warnings steadily appeared over the course of the next few weeks as we continued to use the car.

1- anti skid message
2- brake failure warning
3- engine emmisions warning
5- wasn't able to change 4c setting
6- power steering off
7- gear selected indicator not changing.
8- intermittantly not starting.

I ended up calling the insurance company and they've basically written it off as a total loss, without in my opinion, a proper diagnosis.

My question is , do you think it's worth saving? Is there a module\unit connected with all the above issues ?

Many thanks

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
You could try replacing the battery... What you need to do is get it scanned with VIDA to see what modules are dead.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
In my opinion, given that the caR is basically a huge system of computers, any water damage is indeed a total loss and it isn't worth chasing electrical gremlins for the remainder of the caR's life. Write it off and get a newer model.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
If you have access to VIDA, it might give you a better idea of what electronic modules have been damaged. However, sometimes one messed up module can bring down the whole network, making it harder to diagnose.

Seeing what's up in VIDA might give you a better idea of what you might need to replace. Some of the modules are under the carpet in the floor, so those are likely the damaged units. See if you can search for a map of the control modules. Is your carpet wet at all? There may still be water under your carpets that cannot escape and is submerging electronics. I would argue that at 15 inches of water, some water certainly did enter the car.

·
Premium Member
8,709 Posts
I remember reading about a Electronics Module right under the Dash/Footwell near the center console that can get water damaged quite easy for the 2003-2005 earlier models. It's right under the driver carpet & foam (which is like a giant sponge and seeps) , and if significant amount of water sits in the footwell, it seeps right in. It causes all sorts of electrical gremlins and lights up like a christmas tree. Anyone else remember something like this, perhaps chime in?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, I suppose I don't want to see this car go.

On reflection and studying a video my son made on his iPad at the time, flooded road was 'only' around 9 or 10 inches judging by the car in front. Nothing obvious in the car.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
I remember reading about a Electronics Module right under the Dash/Footwell near the center console that can get water damaged quite easy for the 2003-2005 earlier models. It's right under the driver carpet & foam (which is like a giant sponge and seeps) , and if significant amount of water sits in the footwell, it seeps right in. It causes all sorts of electrical gremlins and lights up like a christmas tree. Anyone else remember something like this, perhaps chime in?
Sounds like the SUM or yaw sensor.

·
Premium Member
8,709 Posts
Sounds like the SUM or yaw sensor.

Yep, that's it. Thanks Hounddogger. I would check there as well. But use DICE to confirm that SUM is the issue. I also recall a local member(also on here) szumek telling me his story on his 2004 V70R.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?189237-SUM-Module-replacement-VIDA-Dice-error-code

Also, never ever count out the battery. Have you replaced it recently? If it's the original battery, it's well over 13 years old and likely the culprit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks fellas , the battery was replaced just two or three months ago, the bloke in the shop was amazed that the original had lasted that long :+1: no water in the car though

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
Thanks fellas , the battery was replaced just two or three months ago, the bloke in the shop was amazed that the original had lasted that long :+1: no water in the car though
I would think there would be potential for water to enter the rear of the caR without it being apparent to you. There are vents back there where water could have gotten in if submerged and then leaked back out when taken out of the water. The battery is being recommended because it is commonly the cause of the super random codes from every module showing up. If you can rule the battery out, then you need to get it on VIDA/DICE and see if any headway can be made from there.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
It may not seem that there is any water in the car, but have you pulled up the carpets to be sure? Checked around the steering column grommet for signs of ingress? Was the water driven through at any sort of speed? The force of water can pop out those rubber grommets in the underbelly.

The ABS/Anti-skid off warning can come on when driving through deep water, as it probably messes with the wheel speed sensors. Usually that is temporary though.

The fact that the car drove fine for a while adds to the theory that water is sitting somewhere slowly seeping into a control module.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Yes, that's the SUM(Suspension Module) but, I don't think that's the issue here as the OP stated that the car's interior didn't take on water. The external modules on the car are built to be water repellent to a certain degree but this is a full immersion scenario.

OP,
Are you also getting an "Active Chassis" related warning?

-The DEM was submerged and that could be a direct cause of some of your messages (anti skid message, brake failure warning, wasn't able to change 4c setting);
-The rear O2 sensor was submerged (engine emissions warning);
-The PEM(Pump Electronic Module) was submerged so there's the chance that your starting problem might be a fueling/fuel pump related issue(intermittently not starting);

The other errors may be cascading errors brought on by shorts in the submerged components since so many of this car's modules interact with others.

It may be best that you write the car off if you don't have much invested in it and you're in a position to buy another.
If this were my car and I was set on keeping it, I would pull the codes using VIDA to get a clearer idea of what all is happening. Then at the very least, I would replace every module that took on water. The PEM and DEM are not coded to the car's VIN so you can replace them with working, used units as longs as the P/N's match. I would also swap out the rear O2 sensor and go from there.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
His modules may be all fine, but every sensor with a damaged sheath and casings that got submerged may now be shorting or giving bad data to those sensors. Short of the fuel pressure controller, if it was only water up to the floorboards I would more suspect all the sensors that got swamped.

·
Premium Member
8,709 Posts

Thanks for your comments fellas , will investigate all of them, video of the causation above
hahah. that BMW(idiot opened the door too). Joking aside, l don't think your V70R got the worst of it and it's likely a repairable issue. Let's hope it's something easy to track down and replace.

·
Registered
569 Posts

Thanks for your comments fellas , will investigate all of them, video of the causation above
The same storm and flooding happened here in Ireland around Xmas time to early January. As far as I see you're from the UK. (based on the BMWs lic plate)
You may contact to Lukas from http://volvodiagnostic.com/. He is based in London. Nice person to deal with and he is absolutely correct. In case if you're member of the http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/ community then 10-15% discount on the prices.
Best of luck!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I've seen High Speed CAN on the DEM cause many of the issues you are having. It is the lowest exposed module but as others have said a PEM issue or SUM issue totally within the possibility. Also possible the CEM could be causing any of those issues as well, if it got wet. The major problem with flood cars is the electrical problems that may be present OR not present just yet and will only get worse with time. That's the main reason Insurance Companies will just total a flood car without diag, its just a risk they usually loose if they attempt to fix a car and mold is another issue unto itself. A part out may be a reasonable alternative to trying to fix any electrical gremlins and who knows what might corrode next. It may be worth a VIDA diag to see what faults exactly are happening and crossing that with wiring diagrams to see what may be related. Still worth buying back from Insurance if they let you. Many good parts for sure.

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts

This video should be a lesson for anyone who finds themselves entering a hazard which may or may not turn out to be passable. You'd have been a lot better off to wait until the car in front of you had cleared the hazard before entering yourself. If their car had stalled, broken down, etc, you'd have been screwed.

/Rant

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.