SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I'm finally looking to get some snow tires and rims. Tired of dealing with crappy traction, especially after last winter. I live in RI, but go to upstate NY and MA a lot. So I do encounter a good share of hills etc.

Anyway, I don't have a lot of knowledge on this area.

Can anyone recommend some solid tire and rim combos? Also, maybe some places to buy rims (or if they know anyone selling them - I'd probably prefer used for price). My Michelin A/S set up are 205/55/R16 (I'm assuming I'd want to keep the same rim size and that). Don't want to spend a ton, but don't have an issue spending more for quality.

The A/S have some meat left, but after that, I'd probably switch to a summer tire to go back and forth. Unless people suggest otherwise.

I've heard about chains or auto shoes/ snow shoes, but that seems like a pain for an area that has a winter season. Also, can't do studded.

--Long post short, can anyone shed some light and point me in a direction on winter tires and rims for them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
^^Those Hakkas would be excellent. Blizzaks are good too. Expect to pay $500+ for a set of either, unless you find a deal.

For rims you could just get basic steelies for ~50 bucks each and then run summer tires on your current wheels. Another option is to get some nicer alloy rims (I'd upgrade to 17" or 18" for better handling) for summer. Unfortunately the 5x108 bolt pattern isn't terribly common, so used options are usually limited. You might have better luck on the east coast, but here in CO it took me nearly 5 months of craigslist searching to find a decent set.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just read about these. I have a set of Bridgestone re970a pole positions and love them all season but this sounds like a great winter set which is all season.
http://tires.about.com/od/Tire_Reviews/fr/Review-Nokian-Hakkapeliitta-R2.htm
I had Hakkapeliitta (older model) on my Volvo 960 without any traction control.
Excellent tires (I'm from Finland so I hope I'm not bias)

I had many years ago Astro with MS tires.... After 1st winter I had to get real winter tires on the car.
I cannot understand why someone would risk their cars... even their health driving MS on snow.
The difference between real winter tires and MS is like summer and winter.

The problem with Hakkapeliitta (and all very good winter tires) was that as their compound is soft they wear down fast in asphalt road.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input so far! I definitely wouldn't mind upgrading my rims to 17 as a bonus for summer tires. I'll have to do some research on how to make that possible. Anything special need to be done?

The problem with Hakkapeliitta (and all very good winter tires) was that as their compound is soft they wear down fast in asphalt road.
Is this a major issue, or just an issue with all winter tires? I'd probably have a share of asphalt/ snow/ice so I wouldn't want them to wear too prematurely. But if this is just how it is, then so be it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I put some Goodyear Ultra Grip Winter tires on my wife's Sentra this year. They're priced on the lower side, seem to review pretty well, and the guy at the local Town Fair Tire said they're one of the longest lasting winter tires they sell. I got some 15" steelies from Summit Racing for $40 a piece shipped, so it was a pretty cheap setup all around. I live in MA myself, and as you know it's been really warm this year. We had about an inch of snow yesterday, and some freezing roads. She seemed happy, but that's not much of a test yet.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
A bit pricey, but the Michelin X-Ice is the best winter tire I have ever had. Traction may not be the best of the best, but comfort and noise are amazing. They are wearing well, too.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! Keep the suggestions coming. I really just need to find some rims. Still stuck if I should get some nice 17" rims to upgrade, or just get steel ones for the winter. I'll probably go for the steel.

Can anyone post a style that they have? Just curious to view them on the car.

·
Registered
161 Posts
On this topic--anyone have any favorite all season tires? In my climate snow/ice are irrelevant--thankfully.

The rare original owner here. I have the "Select Package" with came with 17s (I think base was 16s back in 08). Car came with Michelins stock that lasted 32K miles. I replaced them with Sumitomos that last 25K on the front 34K on the back (60K warranty tire). Replaced the front Sumitomos with Continental Pure Contacts.

Now I need to replace the rears--anyone have experience with a high-tread life all season they want to recommend? Otherwise I will buy another two Contis and rotate front the back. I find these tire warranties to be ridiculous--it's like a roof warranty--extremely unlikely either the tires or the roof will last their "warranted life" and they will just find some excuse about why they didn't last to deny you a pro-rated credit (not enough rotations, bad alignment, whatev we made up today).

Thanks--will post similar question on C30 thread as I need some tires there too.

·
Registered
17,443 Posts
I will say my all season Bridgestone pole position re970as is as good a tire as I have EVER had. I bought a set to replace Pirellis that were badly worn on my 05 when I bought it. Those made noise and we're just rotten. These were a tire I'd been looking at online but bought local. They were in the 800 range out the door. I PUT 63k MILES ON THEM. I'd still be running them but I stopped being smart about rotation, got out of alignment and ran one smooth on an outer edge. Deep snow was coming and I needed tread... This second set I hope to get the same mileage. They've never faltered in dry, wet, snow... Nothing. I don't push limits too hard anymore but have a heavy foot and do a lot of highway.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
+1 on the RE970 A/S

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
im late to the thread here but,
Go to tire rack and order a set of general altimax arctic. they wont break the bank and they are very very good. This is my second with them and they are awesome. worth every penny.
Pick up a set of used 16" clavas on craigslist or wherever, they should be really easy to find. Ive got a set in the garage that are prettymuch worthless haha.
205/55r16 should be the stock size tire.
I picked up a set of 17" pegs for a decent price and have general 225/45r17 strictly for winter. That allows me to run summers the rest of the year. I got pegs because i wanted the car to look good in winter, i dont like 16" wheels on these cars but if your going for best money/ performance in snow they are your best bet.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I'm going to cast a vote for 195/60/16. Just a shade taller (more clearance) & will give you better Winter performance with the bonus of slightly lower cost.

The General Altimax are absolutely the best for the buck. My only beef is that they are quite squirmy in the dry. You might even suspect bad tie rod ends.
X-Ice is a great tire with a wonderful blend of great snow performance while still retaining reasonable dry manners.
Hakkas or Blizzak for ultimate snow use.

Buy a set of factory 16" rims on Craigs. Cheap, use same lugs, sit on the hub same as your Summers. Steels are fine but I really hate all the required cleaning every Spring so the hub surface is rust free when your Summer rims go back on.

By the way, you are going to love ANY snow tire after running what you have.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I ditto the General Altimax vote, cheap and they work just fine. I replaced the set of Gislaved's with them and I didn't notice any difference. Exact same tread pattern. I think Continental owns both brands.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
I'm going to cast a vote for 195/60/16. Just a shade taller (more clearance) & will give you better Winter performance with the bonus of slightly lower cost.

The General Altimax are absolutely the best for the buck. My only beef is that they are quite squirmy in the dry. You might even suspect bad tie rod ends.
X-Ice is a great tire with a wonderful blend of great snow performance while still retaining reasonable dry manners.

Buy a set of factory 16" rims on Craigs. Cheap, use same lugs, sit on the hub same as your Summers. Steels are fine but I really hate all the required cleaning every Spring so the hub surface is rust free when your Summer rims go back on.

Gotta cast a big +1 for the Michelin X-Ice - we bought a used set on rims for the S40 a few winters back and they have been great. Not the best in traction for deep stuff but certainly the quietest winter tire I have ever had.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Advice

Hey,

I was thinking of 215/45R17 ET45 (Enkei YS5 models) is it good combination to my car (volvo s40 2006/2007 1.8)
also going to install new springs (eibach pro kit -25mm)

Sooo what do you think ? :) if there is better solutions pls tell me :p

ps. First post // Cheers

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone for weighing in. I'll have to find some rims first. I found a few on CL. What should I look for in used rims? Never ventured into this field. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts

true, a little squishy in the dry. But really not noticeable, actually makes the volvo suspension so much less harsh, i swear, even with lowering springs and old shocks, it feels like riding on a could after coming from 225/40r18's lol.

And yeah, stay on craigslist, wait to find a set of caligo's or clavas or whatever, make sure they are the same sub bore... any P1 will be. Reference what the stock wheels that came on P1's over at Vivaperformance.com /wheels (sorry for not linking that fully)
Its unlikely that any 16" wheels will be damaged, surrounded by all that tire, unless they were in an accident. But you shouldnt have to worry about cracks or bends really.
You can buy used tires! dont be scured of used winter tires... to check them for leaks before buying you may want to pump them up pretty well (or not) and put some dishsoap into a squirt bottle and spray the tires down and look for any bubbles... they will be pretty obvious... its there is a small puncture in the tread, it can be fixed very easily DIY witha simple plug kit from autozone or wherever. Stay away from any punctures on the sidewall.. not as easy or may not be fixable.

Anyway if you can find some rims alone, Get the general tires in an appropriate size, Either what i mentioned earlier or like PCZ mentioned. You dont need the best winter tire out there.. even cheap winter tires are infinitely better than A/S, trust me, my family cant make it out of the driveway or up any hills around here, My car has been stuck before with a/s but never with winter tires... best money ive ever spent i think, especially if your FWD only.
edit: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?267761-Feeler-For-sale-trade-16-quot-P1-Caligo-Wheels

http://www.vivaperformance.com/alloy-wheels-4/
specs for 16" arent listed i realize but bolt pattern, hub bore, and most likely offset it the same for the 16's the stock 16" options are searchable on google or here on SS

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
^ that first one is one of the sets i referenced secifically in a p/m with mgm. if you could get that guy down down to $500 and youve got yourself a great deal.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts