SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Advice requested. Clunky noise over bumps and grinding noise when turning right (w/ sound)

I need help and advice. I have a problem with my car currently. I can hear and feel a grinding noise on the right side when I turn right. It is even worse when I accelerate at the same time.

Not sure if this is related or a seperate problem in itself, but my car is making a clunking noise when going over bumps. Again it is on the right side in the front.

Both of these noise are getting worse as time goes by. For the grinding noise, I thought it had to be the cv joint. For the clunking noise, it thought it was my shocks. Well, I replaced both and both noises are still there. I bought Koni shocks and a new axle for the passenger side. Sounds just the same as before.

Now I'm thinking it could be the wheel bearing. For the clunking noise, can it be the lower control arm bushing? I called the dealer and the bushing is not sold seperatly. I have to buy the whole lower control arm. For the wheel bearing, what do I need to buy?

I guess I'll just get a new hub for the wheel bearing. Any way I can tell it is bad?

Update:
Link to mp3 of clunking noise:
Clunking noise

Update 2:
FIXED:
It was the top passenger side motor mount. Yeah the big one you see on your left when you open the hood.

HowTo replace it here: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...How-to-replace-top-passenger-side-motor-mount

·
Premium Member
9,305 Posts
Noise on the right when turning right is not a classic wheel bearing symptom, but it's possible. Usually the outside wheel makes noise when it's bad. Have you checked the calipers and pads? Does the noise happen at full lock, or less?

For the clunk, check the swaybar link. Because it can be hard to tell, disconnecting the swaybar entirely (wire the links up out of the way) is a fairly easy test. If you replace them, go for the IPD HD ones.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Noise on the right when turning right is not a classic wheel bearing symptom, but it's possible. Usually the outside wheel makes noise when it's bad. Have you checked the calipers and pads? Does the noise happen at full lock, or less?
It used to have a louder clunking noise at full lock or close to it then got worse. Now it makes small creeking noises even at small turns. Only happens on acceleration. If I just cruise on a turn, it won't make a noise. No noise when I brake on a turn either. That's why I think it something related to the drivetrain. Since I replaced the axle assembly on that side already, It has to be something else connected to it.

For the clunk, check the swaybar link. Because it can be hard to tell, disconnecting the swaybar entirely (wire the links up out of the way) is a fairly easy test. If you replace them, go for the IPD HD ones.
Hmm, ok. I didn't notice anything unusual when I replaced the shocks. I guess I need to check again more carefully.

Thanks Tom

·
Premium Member
9,305 Posts
It seems possible they're both the same thing, and an endlink like swaybar or tierod seems entirely possible. But, creaking noise under acceleration in turns sure sounds like an axle issue. Was the replacement part a quality rebuild?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm having very similar symptoms on my 04.5 S40 T5 and have been told by a local independent Volvo shop that my control arm bearings are shot. I am ordering new control arms this week to have installed, and will be sure to report back with an update once they are.

·
Registered
9,122 Posts
LCA rear bushing faults are pretty common, the bulletin regardint this complain is RTJ 20109. Involves all model years with a chassis number up to -446039

Creaking while turning has been found to be an issue with the upper strut but the fact that you already had those apart would rule that out.

As for a grinding will turning you can check your hubs but the noise should be present while driving down the road at all times. Also, should get progressivly louder as you accelerate, and pitch change under weight transfer.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I went back in and looked at the LCA. It does look pretty bad. I wanted to replace it anyway but didn't get a chance to order it in time. I ordered the bushing only which got cancelled. It appears Volvo doesn't sell the bushing seperatly. Totally messed up my plans. So this time, I went ahead and ordered both LCA and the iPd HD endlinks. I'm sure my endlinks are worned out anyway. If this works, I'll be one happy camper. I'm expecting a smooth ride from my Konis.

I'll report back if this fixes the problem. I'll also take pictures and doc it up for others and myself to reference. I had to relearn what I did from the last time I replaced my springs.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I replaced the lower control arms and the endlinks. The rattling clunking noise is still there. It also still makes some kind of grinding rattling noise when I turn right. I did seem to get rid of the popping noise when I drive into my garage. Feels more solid now. Even the noise sounds a little more muffled than before.

Lower motor mount could be a possible culprit. I think I'll check that out and all the other mounts before checking out the wheel bearing. I don't want to mess with the suspension anymore. Spent too much time on that.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I added a link to a sound clip I recorded. I went to a really bumpy street and recorded it. It does sound more muffled after I replaced all those parts. Anybody have any idea where this noise is coming from, it'll really help me out.

So far I replaced:
* All 4 Struts
* Passenger side drive axle
* Lower Control Arm on both sides
* End links on both sides

Clunking noise

·
Registered
43 Posts
I replaced the lower control arms and the endlinks. The rattling clunking noise is still there. It also still makes some kind of grinding rattling noise when I turn right. I did seem to get rid of the popping noise when I drive into my garage. Feels more solid now. Even the noise sounds a little more muffled than before.

Lower motor mount could be a possible culprit. I think I'll check that out and all the other mounts before checking out the wheel bearing. I don't want to mess with the suspension anymore. Spent too much time on that.
I've got a sort of side note question for you, did you happen to do the install on your LCA's and endlinks yourself? I just received both my orders for those in the mail and am debating whether or not to take it to a local shop or to do the install myself. All seems fairly simple, but wanted to ensure that no special tools were required for replacing the LCA's.

Sorry to hear you're still having the issue... I'm afraid I'll be in the same boat once I get these parts replaced since our symptoms sound identical. I'm wondering why a bad motor mount would cause the grinding when turning, but I don't know enough about the mechanics of them to understand that.

Please keep us updated on your progress... good luck!

·
Registered
9,122 Posts
When you did all 4 struts did you replace the upper bearing plate or reuse them, if so the bearing didnt happen to come apart did it? Mine did and i thought I got it back together properly but now i get a grind, bind, and popping noise on the right side when turning.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
pmolick - I did do it myself. It wasn't bad. If you are lucky, you don't have to remove the axle. The ball joint did not move when I unbolted it. Both sides too. Just remove that and the other three big bolts that holds the control arm in place. The only special tool you need is the ball joint seperator tool.
You can use a fancy smancy one like this http://www.amazon.com/OTC-6297-Ball..._1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1281498906&sr=8-1

Or a cheap one like this http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-64..._8?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1281498906&sr=8-8

I rented a cheap one for free at Autozone.

Tip:
* The A/C hose will get in the way but you can bend it a little to move it out the way.
* Use a seperate jack to help you align when reinstalling.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When you did all 4 struts did you replace the upper bearing plate or reuse them, if so the bearing didnt happen to come apart did it? Mine did and i thought I got it back together properly but now i get a grind, bind, and popping noise on the right side when turning.
Holy cow, mine did come apart and I did put it back. Damn... you're good. Ok, I think try to replace that. I guess I should get both sides.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I recently had a clunking noise too and I thought it was the ball joints. I looked at all of them and couldn't find a damn thing. The sway bar endlinks also looked to be in okay condition.

On Monday I had an oil change and the tech noticed that my lower right motor mount was leaking fluid and was torn. So far I haven't heard the clunking yet (knock on wood) and the engine seems smoother with improved throttle response (I wonder why). The clunking on my car was intermittent and so I'm assuming that the noise depended on the position of the engine in relation to the mount. The parts and labor totaled about $250. :D

Good luck mang, I hope this helps.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Is there any way to check the condition of the upper bearing plate with everything intact? I had a local shop that I'm not too happy with replace my struts, so would prefer not to bring it back to them unless I have to, but if removing the struts is the only way to check, I may need to do so.

·
Registered
9,122 Posts
Not really, I can just tell where the noise is coming from and Ive heard it before. If you know someone with a set of chassis ears that would make narrowing the noise down pretty easy. I know the dealers have them because its a required tool.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Is there any way to check the condition of the upper bearing plate with everything intact? I had a local shop that I'm not too happy with replace my struts, so would prefer not to bring it back to them unless I have to, but if removing the struts is the only way to check, I may need to do so.
Would you mind if I ask which shop you took your car to? I have a local shop that I take my car for oil changes and my car is doing the same thing as yours, so I might have them take a look at it. But if they don't do such a great job, I may have to look elsewhere.

Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Would you mind if I ask which shop you took your car to? I have a local shop that I take my car for oil changes and my car is doing the same thing as yours, so I might have them take a look at it. But if they don't do such a great job, I may have to look elsewhere.

Thanks.
Don't mind at all... I took it to Volvo's Only - I've heard they do good work but have never gotten a good feeling from them myself. I was reading reviews a few days ago for a place called Pro Volvo Service that sounds promising, so after all this is over, I'm going to consider them for future work, like my timing belt that I know I should take care of sooner than later :(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts