SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to purchase a 1966 122s 4 door locally as a daily driver.

I have been looking at it for a while and think it is over priced for what you get, but would like to get the opinion of others.

The owner is asking $3900.

The good:
4 cylinder Automatic
Automatic Choke
Weber carburator conversion
Fresh Service
Seats were recently upholstered.
Fuel tank seems solid (no smells)
Shocks are good.
Minimal visible rust.
Breaks seem good.

The bad:
Heater blower does not work.
Front Seatbelts have been removed. (why right?)
Carpet was bolted down, so I am not sure the condition of the floor plans.
Missing rubber seals around trunk.
Bit of rust on winshield and back window.
Rest of the interior is bad.

Here's a picture for reference. Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
The auto gearbox actually reduces the value of the car, and so does the fact that its a 4 door (even if both of these characteristics you like, they still reduce the value of the car). Same with the carb conversion. If the interior was descent, I would say $2K max.

But overall, compared with buying a modern used car, you are still getting great value. Its just that for that kind of money, you can get a much better Amazon.

My opinion ...

·
Registered
328 Posts
A plus for this car is the straight body and good paint, trim and bumpers (at least what is visible from this picture).

Trunk seal ~ $50
modern seatbelt replacements ~ $90 (DIY)
Replacement interior panels are available..not cheap, but reasonable, depending on your budget
I would insist on pulling the carpet up to look at the floors..check the trunk and spare tire well for rust, as well.

Most importantly, insure that engine is sound.

A few local (to me, anyway) Craigslist postings for comparison:

$2800, '66 4dr http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/3286824178.html
$7000, '65 4dr http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/3292118836.html
$3500, '66 4dr http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/3300374769.html
$4000, '68 2dr http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/3240105324.html

Go with your gut...whatever you like...you only live once, after all. will be a cool car that you will enjoy

Keep us updated.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
The red flag for me is that the car has been partially de-chromed, which means it's been repainted. (chrome missing on gutters, below windows, and between rear window and side windows). If it's rusting through the paint then it was prepped wrong and will probably soon rust all over. I've looked at numerous 122s that for whatever reason were rusting from the inside out through what appeared to be an excellent paint job. I'd be wary of that one.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
I have the opportunity to purchase a 1966 122s 4 door locally as a daily driver. I have been looking at it for a while and think it is over priced for what you get, but would like to get the opinion of others...
Welcome to Swedespeed, Adam.

You may wish to skip this car and instead share your desires/needs/budget/location so we can guide you to much better Amazons for sale.

Thanks.

George Dill

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. I have been on the fence for a while on this one, and I think you all helped knock me the right way!

As far as helping me with Desires/Needs/Budget and location:

Desires:
Daily driver. I am mechanically inclined and willing to do/learn.

Needs:
Needs to be running and able to be driven now.

Budget:
$3000-$4000

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Below are some recent ads for Amazons.

If any interst you let us know.

Thanks.

George Dill

---
68582012-09-192012-09-19CARS FOR SALE: VOLVO 122 (AMAZON) pezda1 [at] yahoo [dot] com
I have 1966 volvo 122S 4 Dr 1.8L with a 4 speed manual transmission.. Its in really good shape and in full runing condition. The body is in really good condition as well and it drives really well. If your looking for more details I am in Plainville CT. You can call me or Email me.. The car will drive out of sate without issues I just took it on a trip to the Upstate NY to see the leaves turn colors. If your looking for a nice car to enjoy please contact me. Its all up to date and does not need anything. $5800 OBO 860-410-9787 Adam ([email protected])

http://www.ipdusa.com/uploads/images_classifieds/fullsize_1394.jpg

---
67512012-07-042012-07-23CARS FOR SALE: VOLVO 122 (AMAZON)

tkoby05 [at] yahoo [dot] com

1967 San Diego Car has been meticulously maintained. Original rebuilt twin SU carbs with manual choke. Carbs are tuned perfectly, no bogging or stumbling. New muffler/resonator. Car sounds as good as it looks. New factory keys/ignition. Recent body work around front and rear windows to eliminate rust spots. Many more upgrades and maintenance performed by Volvo Certified mechanic for the past 13 years. Records available for serious buyers. Original literature available as well. Manual transmission. Car is simple to work on, reliable and gets stares and compliments all day. Spare parts including air conditioner, rear reflectors and other misc. trim pieces. This is not a project car. Turn key. Road trip ready. Daily Driver for past 13 years, Routine tune ups performed, see highlights of specific repairs: 2012 New Brake Calipers, Bearings, Rotors New Speedo Cable and Wiper Motor Rebuilt original SU Carbs/Intake Manifold/Manual Choke New Muffler/Resonator Repaint and Rust Repair on seals around rear window and Rear side windows Volvo Factory New Ignition and Key 2011 Replaced front windshield and seals/rust repair and paint Repaired Clutch System/Reseal Master and Slave Repaired firewall rust/corrosion and paint around Battery Fully Tuned up by Volvo Certified Mechanic 2004 New Starter/Alternator/Fan and Pulley Replaced Trim and wiper arms, rear reflectors, side view mirror, grill and nose piece, re chromed bumpers Lower door rust repair and paint. $7000 FIRM

http://www.ipdusa.com/uploads/images_classifieds/fullsize_1107.jpg

---
67182012-06-122012-06-12CARS FOR SALE: VOLVO 122 (AMAZON)

dave [at] maineboats [dot] com

This 1968 122S "Amazon" 2-door has been hot-rodded with full Volvo 142 drivetrain swap. Fresh B20 2-liter motor w/Weber DGV 2-bbl carb. Volvo M41 4-spd gearbox w/J type overdrive and short shifter; clutch ass'y and master/slave cyls new. Sport exhaust with throaty but non-ricey tone. Upgraded to 142 front discs, Bilstein HDs all 4 corners, ipd sways f/r, stock springs and ride height. Ford 15 x 6 mesh alloys and 196/65 Yokos give car a great stance. Interior restored 6 yrs ago, still looks great. Body condition is straight and solid, doors shut with one finger. A bit of bondo here and there (headlight surrounds, door corners, rockers), with 44 years of nicks n dings. Floors redone, new nose panel, fresh door/trunk/hood seals. Shines up quite well, and with its original brightwork in place, the car presents well at local shows. Blacked-out bumpers give it just a bit of attitude. This Volvo is all sorts of fun to drive and enjoy on the road with little guilt about "using up a treasure." Great driver, well sorted mechanically. Minor issue with dieseling on shutdown (I just stick in 3rd and pop clutch, car shuts off and no one the wiser.) Fun weekend and club-event car, proof positive of the Amazon description "drives like a pickup, handles like a go-kart." Surprisingly sporty on the road. Generates many thumbs-up and spontaneous stories (it's amazing what ppl did inside these little cars back in the day!). Car garaged in midcoast Maine. $4600. call or text 207-32 nine 6 eight 16

http://www.ipdusa.com/uploads/images_classifieds/fullsize_1051.jpg

---

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you handle a manual gearbox? These cars do much better with a manual gearbox. The manual gearbox is also more plentiful. The auto box would have been the biggest drawback for me on that car.
Yes. The biggest draw for me on this car was the location.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Yes. The biggest draw for me on this car was the location.
My view - rather than buy a suspect car regardless of location consider paying up to $6,000 for a needs-nothing Amazon even if it requires that you fly in/drive home or ship the car to your place.

Given that I am not aware of your particular preferences I am drawn to the Amazon P220 Estate Kombi (station wagon) in the years from '62-'68 with mods to include 4-speed/OD.

Please post the main inhibitors (what you do NOT want) so we can find more candidates for consideration.

Thanks.

George Dill

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I strongly recommend that you put your location in your profile so we can recommend more suitable things to you geographically.
On a 122 or an 1800 you ALWAYS want to look at the floors from underneath because they typically leak around the windshield and the moisture makes its way down the inside of the firewall and into the jute backing under the rubber floormats. The anaerobic environment causes the wet backing to ferment and become acid, so it rusts the floor through from the inside. Typically this happens at the lowest points of the floor so that is the first place to inspect and maybe tap with a small ball peen hammer or poke with an ice pick.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
"...poke with an ice pick..."

Walrus3 - you and I are very familiar with this tool...

http://img2.etsystatic.com/000/0/5348542/il_fullxfull.161184974.jpg

...but that was more than sixty years back.

That's why my rust-checking replies call for a screwdriver or scratch awl.

Looking at the current USA Volvo Amazon market we see some real rust-buckets but those cars under the same ownership for many years and with an asking price above $5,000 are usually without major structural rust and have extensive repair records.

Lemmee go ogle.

George Dill

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Thanks George! You found one! It's on the trailer and on it's way!
Yeehaaa!

http://modules05.dealercarsearch.com/usercontrols/largephotos.aspx?id=1830974

This beauty needs a name - Ivanho? Erin? Gummi?...

Once you get settled in and have a full lookover let us know what needs the car has so we can go shopping (on your plastic).

Just a quick glance...

- Trunk lid and seal need adjustment. It is possible that the lower valance has been pressed in by impact.

- Do you want AC in this fine Amazon?

- Hand brake handle needs anti-kick guard.

- Wipers need lash adjusted.

- Driver's door needs aligned - note how smooth the shut line is on the pax door.

- Steering wheel could use a REAL Wheelskin cover.

- Shift boot needs correct re-install.

- Fuse block missing cover.

- Does your locale require smog tags on this model/year?

- Is that rear bumper sticker a "Mount St. Helens Survivor"?...

http://i1.cpcache.com/product_zoom/...r=White&height=460&width=460&padToSquare=true

George Dill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts