SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at 90k and in dire need to replace the shocks and struts. I'm pretty much bouncing on the springs right now.

I've looked through the similar threads and decided on the bilstein HD's. Being a poor college student, I was looking for OEM's but friends dissuaded me and told me to bite the cash since I'll be commuting about 80km each way on interstate and secondary roads this semester.

Should I replace the strut mounts and bearings as well for front and rear? Anything else? I don't remember, but I think when I purchased the car from factory, I got the sport springs if that makes a difference..

I found the set of 4 for the Bilsteins on Shox.com for $704 while shockswarehouse.com has the same listed for 818. Is there a difference for parts or just someone is making a quick 100 bucks..

2007 V50 T5 AWD

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
The HDs should be a good match for your setup. Shox.com is a great place to work with. I would recommend replacing the mounts & bearings in the front you mentioned. You could save some money & skip the rears. If you find the rear mount to be bad it's no big deal to replace later. Very easy, as difficult as the front is the rear is simple.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I just did mine on a FWD, the SP version though.

If you go with Bilstein you might want to look into the bump stop and see if you can get something that fits prior hand. I was not aware and was surprised the shock diameter was much bigger. I ended up cutting the bump stop shorter but that is NOT a great solution! I don't know if other after market struts have the same issue...

Feel free to ask me questions as well when the time comes. I have the greatest trick to easily put the new struts into the knuckle without struggle. :D

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Bilsteins do not require the factory bump stop in front. They utilize their own internal stop. Simply discard the factory bump stop.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Should I replace the strut mounts and bearings as well for front and rear? Anything else? I don't remember, but I think when I purchased the car from factory, I got the sport springs if that makes a difference..
As everyone already mentioned, don't bother replacing the rear mounts. You also most likely don't need to bother with the front strut mounts (it's just a solid chunk of material with holes). You should definitely replace the front bearings though.

Springs aren't considered a wear item, so you don't really need to replace them. However, if you want to stiffen or lower your ride, now would be a good time to do it.

As for bump stops, I used ground control firm bump stops on my car and they work great (http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=10/CA=1), but I guess Bilstein fronts don't require them.

Is there a difference for parts or just someone is making a quick 100 bucks..
Someone is just making a quick 100 bucks. I don't know what the part number is for the Bilstein's, but I always do a quick search on froogle.com (google.com/shopping) to find the best price. Shocks and struts usually go on sale around certain times of the year too. For example, a set of Koni FSD's is currently selling for $609. I bought mine early May for $530 shipped.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Bilsteins do not require the factory bump stop in front. They utilize their own internal stop. Simply discard the factory bump stop.
Yes, I forgot to mention that though there are some conflicting information about that.
I tried to check it out on their website but could not find the information... It would be great to get some confirmation.
Some else was also mentioning that it is only on the last .5" and that seemed short. I don't really know.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Link to S40 Front Strut & Install Instructions

Excerpt:
Fit original/ BILSTEIN mounting parts on strut in
reverse sequence to removal, except for bump stop,
since BILSTEIN- strut has built in bump stop.

Please refer to diagram to identify which parts will
be replaced with BILSTEIN- supplied components also.
If there is no dust cover delivered by BILSTEIN,
the original one is to be reused.
ATTENTION: Some models are equipped with
plastic- dustcover cap also. This cap do not reuse!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
:thumbup:

Link to S40 Front Strut & Install Instructions

Excerpt:
Fit original/ BILSTEIN mounting parts on strut in
reverse sequence to removal, except for bump stop,
since BILSTEIN- strut has built in bump stop.

Please refer to diagram to identify which parts will
be replaced with BILSTEIN- supplied components also.
If there is no dust cover delivered by BILSTEIN,
the original one is to be reused.
ATTENTION: Some models are equipped with
plastic- dustcover cap also. This cap do not reuse!
Is this the US site? I didn't see that when I went on the general Bilstein website.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice guys!

I'm purchasing from Shox.com the Bilstein HD's
From Viva Performance, the Front strut bearings and the Front/Rear mounts too. I figure since I'll already have the car up and parts off, why not replace them since I plan on keeping and driving the car for a few more years.
Anything I'm missing?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts