SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister's family has little money to spend on a new vehicle and my brother in law has set his sights on a mid 80's 740 GLE or 240 Wagon.<P>Can anyone offer advice or things to watch for when looking at these vehicles?<P>PS - They're hoping to get one for about $4,000 Cdn. which is about $2,700 - 2,800 US - is that reasonable?

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Sounds reasonable, but mileage might be quite high on a car like that.<P>Expect a lot of maintenance issues just because the car is ~15 years old and will probably have in excess of 100k miles on it.<P>Probably no major problems though. Those cars were built solid, like freakin tanks.<P>

·
Registered
40 Posts
That sounds reasonable to me if you are buying a car newer than 87. Just be sure to check that the car didn't come from out here (Ontario) because you'll have tons of rust problems with if it did. Also, you may want to have the car checked by a reputable mechanic before making the final purchase.<BR> Remember, there were a ton of Ontario "Immigrants" during that time period so there are probably quite a few eastern cars.<P>When I lived out there I used to take my car to a guy in Pitt Meadows, if you're interested.<P>Jay<BR>--<BR>83 242 Turbo<BR>98 S70 T5 SE

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jay:<BR><B><BR> Remember, there were a ton of Ontario "Immigrants" during that time period so there are probably quite a few eastern cars.<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hmmm, interesting! What was the reason (for the migration out West)?<P><BR>Yannis<P><P>

·
Registered
184 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:<BR><B> Hmmm, interesting! What was the reason (for the migration out West)?<P><BR>Yannis<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yannis, back then the economy was booming in Vancouver and had been for quite a long time. Unfortunately the previous government than the one we have now didn't do a good job and now our province is lagging behind most others in growth. It'll probably take a few years before we are at par with the national average.<P>Pat<P>

·
Registered
40 Posts
<BR>The booming economy was one reason for the immigration, but also the Vancouver area was much more laid back than Toronto. Promising a different lifstyle for those tired of the big city hustle in the east. Plus, it rarely snows there and to put iceing on the cake you are surrounded by beautiful mountians.<P>As Pat says, the government didn't use their heads at that time and instead of using all those extra skilled people to attract head offices and large companies they scared them away by making the tax rates for businesses and individuals the highest in Canada. Hence the current terrible state of affairs in BC. Too bad, because Vancouver SHOULD be an economic power house.<P>I left simply because it rained too much for me in Vancouver. It's a beautiful place to visit though if you ever get the chance.<P>--<BR>Jay<BR>83 242 Turbo<BR>98 S70 T5 SE

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phil Pugliese:<BR><B>Avoid 16V 740's and 6 Cyl 760's.<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Phil, can you elaborate why?<BR>

·
Registered
66 Posts
The early model 760's with the 6cyl were awful. I had one and drove it for 16 yrs and 260k but it cost me a fortune. About 40grand over the term. I had a new engine (from a Delorean that was never built) and rebuilt tranny. Everything else in the car had been replaced over time. The later model (around '87) was great. My dad had (and still has) a '87 760 with about 125k and it runs like a gem. Im tryin to talk him into a new one but he already has a '00 S70 which he is happy with so he keeps the old 760. The car is in mint condition so my take is that later model year 760's are probably ok. They got all the bugs out after the introductory year in '83.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vinmanC32:<BR><B>They got all the bugs out after the introductory year in '83. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>They still used the B28 through '86, so I wouldn't even consider a 6cyl 760 unless it was an '87-'90 using the much improved B280.<P>

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
The only complaints I've heard about 740s are from the Volvo sales people here. They can't get the owners out of their '86s and into a new one because they work so well!!!!<BR>Happy hunting.<P>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts