SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I own a 2004 XC70 and just sold my 2008 S40 so I have a little history with Volvos. I'm looking for a clean 2004 S60R and I'm wondering what to look for. Did the 2004's have any problems? How do the transmissions hold up?
I'm looking at a local 2004 automatic I found with 87,000 miles and it looks super clean and is at a dealer with a good reputation that deals with some high end cars like Ferrari and Porsche. Carfacts shows multipul owners but has tons of maintenance records. Anything at all that you can tell me would be a big help! Here is a link to the car:
http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/i...vationmotors.com&first_record=26&cardist=7007

Many thanks!!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Get an autocheck report also. I also got my car from a dealer like you spoke of. I wish I had known more about the R before I got one. So they showed me a clean carfax but this r has a toxic autocheck.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
if you are going for an auto. I'd get 06-07 if you can afford it.

they changed the transmission from 5spd to 6spd, upgraded some awd components to make them stronger (many threads on it)

also you don't have the same torque neutering in 1st and 2nd gears the 04/05's did. There are other differences but this is perhaps the biggest reason.

Find one with good maint. history. good luck.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
no, they are different. well if you had a stupid amount of money to pour into it anything is possible but really it's not an option

would need new transmission, angle gear, collar/sleeve for starters...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So are the 2004's prone to failing? How do the tranny's hold up on average? I know the 2001/2002 S60's are not good years. I won't be abusing the car and take really good care of my stuff. Thank you!

·
Registered
2004 S60R 6M - 2006 V70R 6M - 2014 XC60 R-Design OSD - 2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum
1,796 Posts

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
05 has a better looking radio stack, cupholder, etc.

learn the differences between the cars before you make a choice

·
Registered
785 Posts
Best advice is to take your time to find a good/pristine example as parts are expensive. I would skip 2004 all together. 2006 was the first year with the six speed automatic and many of these seem to have problems. I would either get a 2005 or 2007 if you are buying an automatic.

Do not buy one that was been in an accident. I bought a used a 2005 that had been rear ended once and I naively believed after talking to the previous owner that the accident wasn't that severe (I was having a hard time finding an R where I live, they would sell before I could take a test drive) -come to find
out the propeller shaft for the AWD had been replaced with the wrong part number and it began to work itself loose after I had been rear ended. Because it had the wrong part # my insurance company wouldn't cover it. The young lady that hit me had the same insurance carrier as I.

Also the Rs seem to blow head gaskets and, or crack cylinder walls quickly when low on coolant or beginning to overheat so trace down any coolant leaks ASAP and have them remedied immediately even if the leak seems slow (topping off coolant once a month, etc).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts